Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
For flashes, I think I'm starting off with the 430EXII. I think the 270EX would be nice, but the lack of IR reduces it's usefulness for off-camera shooting.

The 580EX is nice, but for me, it's probably overkill.

Why would it be? I read countless reviews where the reviewer say eventhough 430 EX II is a very capable flashgun, he/she regretted not spending extra to get 580 EXII cause the extra features that is found in it is proved to be very useful indeed and now he/she need to shop for a 580 EXII. I'm aiming for a 580EXII straight away so that if I ever need to make a wireless flash system, I can borrow my friends flash gun and do not need to be surprised with the control cause I will be using the flash gun I'm used with as my master.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Why would it be? I read countless reviews where the reviewer say eventhough 430 EX II is a very capable flashgun, he/she regretted not spending extra to get 580 EXII cause the extra features that is found in it is proved to be very useful indeed and now he/she need to shop for a 580 EXII. I'm aiming for a 580EXII straight away so that if I ever need to make a wireless flash system, I can borrow my friends flash gun and do not need to be surprised with the control cause I will be using the flash gun I'm used with as my master.

The main reason for choosing the 430EXII over the 580EX is cost. Sure, I know, penny wise, pound foolish ... but in my case, if I get the 430 first, I'll have it sooner, rather than later (or not at all).

If I want to do wireless, I would have to buy a second flash anyways, so that one could be a 580. Or I could go with a Radio Popper or Pocket Wizard and a second 430EXII to gain more reliable wireless for only a little more money.

This is only a hobby for me. I don't need to go overboard and buy the best stuff. The 430 is plenty for me.

ft

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
The main reason for choosing the 430EXII over the 580EX is cost. Sure, I know, penny wise, pound foolish ... but in my case, if I get the 430 first, I'll have it sooner, rather than later (or not at all).

If I want to do wireless, I would have to buy a second flash anyways, so that one could be a 580. Or I could go with a Radio Popper or Pocket Wizard and a second 430EXII to gain more reliable wireless for only a little more money.

This is only a hobby for me. I don't need to go overboard and buy the best stuff. The 430 is plenty for me.

ft

That's my exact same reason for going with the cheaper one. If I'd be doing this professionally, I would of course go for the better one. I mean I have no reason to go wireless etc.
Anyway, I still haven't decided on my first camera, but I think I'm even closer with deciding between the XSi and 40D. First I have to go see them in person, then I will be able to decide.
But I still have trouble deciding on the lens. I wanted to go for the EF-S 28-200, but I read that the quality is really not worth it. On the other hand, I don't know how it will work with two lenses. Maybe I'll get the EF-S 55-250 IS for now and then a higher-end zoom in the lower end later on. Seems like the most reasonable thing right now, since that one will provide me the most basic things I need (portrait and a bit of wildlife) and maybe I'll add the EF 50 f1.8 for it's low light quality. What do you guys think? Would it be good like that or should I get the double zoom kit with the 28-55 and 55-250?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
That's my exact same reason for going with the cheaper one. If I'd be doing this professionally, I would of course go for the better one. I mean I have no reason to go wireless etc.
Anyway, I still haven't decided on my first camera, but I think I'm even closer with deciding between the XSi and 40D. First I have to go see them in person, then I will be able to decide.
But I still have trouble deciding on the lens. I wanted to go for the EF-S 28-200, but I read that the quality is really not worth it. On the other hand, I don't know how it will work with two lenses. Maybe I'll get the EF-S 55-250 IS for now and then a higher-end zoom in the lower end later on. Seems like the most reasonable thing right now, since that one will provide me the most basic things I need (portrait and a bit of wildlife) and maybe I'll add the EF 50 f1.8 for it's low light quality. What do you guys think? Would it be good like that or should I get the double zoom kit with the 28-55 and 55-250?

If you have only a 55-250, I think you'll probably miss having something wider. 55mm on an APS-C sensor is quite long--a portrait length, as you mentioned. Will you really never want to shoot any landscapes or anything indoors? For those situations, you'll want something wider. The 18-55mm IS kit lens is a very capable and admirable little lens. It's also the standard kit lens for a reason: that's the most useful range of focal lengths for most people.

The 50 f/1.8 is not only great for low light. It enables you to get creative with shallow depth-of-field, which is a lot of fun. It's a great starter prime, and for the money, a terrific value.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Maybe I'll get the EF-S 55-250 IS for now and then a higher-end zoom in the lower end later on. Seems like the most reasonable thing right now, since that one will provide me the most basic things I need (portrait and a bit of wildlife) and maybe I'll add the EF 50 f1.8 for it's low light quality. What do you guys think? Would it be good like that or should I get the double zoom kit with the 28-55 and 55-250?

Well, like I said, I have that exact lens set-up (the double kit - note that it's 18-55, not 28-55), although I bought them separately. Having IS on the lenses is nice. Both lenses are decent and I can take pretty sharp pictures with them.

Add the 50mm 1.8 and you'll have the "Plastic Fantastic" set of lenses.

ft

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
If you have only a 55-250, I think you'll probably miss having something wider. 55mm on an APS-C sensor is quite long--a portrait length, as you mentioned. Will you really never want to shoot any landscapes or anything indoors? For those situations, you'll want something wider. The 18-55mm IS kit lens is a very capable and admirable little lens. It's also the standard kit lens for a reason: that's the most useful range of focal lengths for most people.

The 50 f/1.8 is not only great for low light. It enables you to get creative with shallow depth-of-field, which is a lot of fun. It's a great starter prime, and for the money, a terrific value.

Thanks for the clarification. I think that now I'm set to get the double zoom kit with the 50 f/1.8. Now to just choose a body :p

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Just another question. Do you guys have any good bag/case to carry all the stuff? So the body (450D or 40D, still undecided) 2 zoom lenses, the 50mm, maybe a flash and maybe the battery grip, my point and shoot and some small extras (charger etc.). I have searched some, but they all seem to be either way too big or just of lousy quality. I'm thinking of getting a bag where I could fit my laptop as well.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Just another question. Do you guys have any good bag/case to carry all the stuff? So the body (450D or 40D, still undecided) 2 zoom lenses, the 50mm, maybe a flash and maybe the battery grip, my point and shoot and some small extras (charger etc.). I have searched some, but they all seem to be either way too big or just of lousy quality. I'm thinking of getting a bag where I could fit my laptop as well.

There are a number of good backpack designs that accommodate a laptop and the amount of equipment you list. The newest Lowepro bags also incorporate easy access features, enabling you to remove or store the camera without taking off the backpack.

The one I chose (the Flipside 200) does not hold a laptop, but it holds exactly the amount of gear you listed and has a unique anti-theft/easy-access feature: the bag is accessible only via a panel that is against your back, to which you gain access by swiveling the backpack around to your front (it remains fastened around your waist). It then projects out in front of you like a little table. I love it. I also love its overall size when loaded. It's very narrow and therefore feels nicely balanced when I'm moving around.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
There are a number of good backpack designs that accommodate a laptop and the amount of equipment you list. The newest Lowepro bags also incorporate easy access features, enabling you to remove or store the camera without taking off the backpack.

The one I chose (the Flipside 200) does not hold a laptop, but it holds exactly the amount of gear you listed and has a unique anti-theft/easy-access feature: the bag is accessible only via a panel that is against your back, to which you gain access by swiveling the backpack around to your front (it remains fastened around your waist). It then projects out in front of you like a little table. I love it. I also love its overall size when loaded. It's very narrow and therefore feels nicely balanced when I'm moving around.

Thanks! Those look real great and have a great size for what they can fit!
I just have another small question; when I was looking through some accessories, I came across the Extension tube 12mm/25mm, but after reading and reading I was unable to figure out what it exactly does. Anyone mind explaining?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
If you're going for a backpack, look for one without reports of cracked notebook screens.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
If you're going for a backpack, look for one without reports of cracked notebook screens.

Ah yes, I noticed this to be quite a problem with quite a lot of them. Looks like I'll just get a normal case for them. After all, I won't be taking my laptop everywhere my camera will go, so it would be a waste I think. I'm thinking now to even get an original Canon bag (the place I'll be buying my camera from gives them for free with certain cameras) and they are quite big for all I need, so I just force them to give me one too :p Then I will look into getting something small that will fit just my camera and 18-55 when I go to, say, see a city I'm in and don't want to carry all of my stuff.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
OK, there is another thing that I need some explanation with, including the extension tube. What are the importance and uses of filters/hoods? I seem to find very differing opinions, so I am even more confused :confused:

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
OK, there is another thing that I need some explanation with, including the extension tube. What are the importance and uses of filters/hoods? I seem to find very differing opinions, so I am even more confused :confused:
Hoods protect the lens from flare and bumps and such. Hoods are pretty much universally thought to be good--I haven't seen anyone say they're bad.

Filters are where things get interesting. Some argue that it's great to have something to protect the lens from smudges, dust, scratches, etc while others think the hood is enough and all you're doing by putting the filter on is negatively affecting the image quality. If you get a good enough filter (multi-coated, good brand) then I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Hoods protect the lens from flare and bumps and such. Hoods are pretty much universally thought to be good--I haven't seen anyone say they're bad.

Filters are where things get interesting. Some argue that it's great to have something to protect the lens from smudges, dust, scratches, etc while others think the hood is enough and all you're doing by putting the filter on is negatively affecting the image quality. If you get a good enough filter (multi-coated, good brand) then I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Ah, OK. And is it possible to have both, a filter and a hood on a lens?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
If you get a good enough filter (multi-coated, good brand) then I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Even with the best filters, you'll lose resolution in every shot you take- someone once posted the loss figures here, and I want to say it was about 14lp/mm- but I don't recall for sure, and I'm not having any luck with searches. How big a deal that is depends on what's important to you. There are lots of folks replacing AA filters with glass with the same refractive index at several hundred dollars a pop to achieve the best resolution they can get.

For most lenses you can have both a hood and a filter, though there are a few ultra-wides that won't take even a slim filter.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Even with the best filters, you'll lose resolution in every shot you take- someone once posted the loss figures here, and I want to say it was about 14lp/mm- but I don't recall for sure, and I'm not having any luck with searches. How big a deal that is depends on what's important to you. There are lots of folks replacing AA filters with glass with the same refractive index at several hundred dollars a pop to achieve the best resolution they can get.

For most lenses you can have both a hood and a filter, though there are a few ultra-wides that won't take even a slim filter.

Thanks for the explanation. I think I'd prefer the protection over the bit of resolution I'll lose. I mean, after all, I'll be doing this as a hobby, not professionally.

ajumbaje

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2005
VA
im deciding between a nikon d5000 and a d90. I really liked the feel of the d90 and it comes with a better lens than the d5000. One thing I really want to do is sports pics(casual, not professional) and the fps attracted me. Only thing might be the price, but it's gonna be a gift and hopefully the gift buyer wont mind the higher end one. I do like the d5000 screen but I think that if im gonna be doing dslr photos, im not gonna be point and shoot like that screen implies.

So, any suggestions? D90 or D5000?

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
OK, so having talked to some people, I'm deciding to go for the 400D.
With this, I'm planning to get the 50 f/1.8 and 70-200 f/4 lenses to accompany the kit lens. But after reading so much bad stuff about the older kit lens, I'm wanting to skip it and go to something better. Would the 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 USM be a good choice?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
With this, I'm planning to get the 50 f/1.8 and 70-200 f/4 lenses to accompany the kit lens. But after reading so much bad stuff about the older kit lens, I'm wanting to skip it and go to something better. Would the 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 USM be a good choice?

The 400D is a few years old. I have one, although over here, it's called the Xti.

I also had reservations about the old 18-55 kit lens, so I bought the Xti body-only and bought the 18-55IS. Later, I added the 55-250IS. The 50 f/1.8 is next on the list, although I'll probably get the 430EXII first.

The 24-85 got a very good review on Photozone, but one of the knocks against it was the focal length. Depending on what you want to shoot, the 24mm on the short end may be limiting.

ft

EDIT - I'm guessing you meant the 40D, right? If so, then forget about my comments on the Xti. The stuff about the lenses still apply.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
The 400D is a few years old. I have one, although over here, it's called the Xti.

I also had reservations about the old 18-55 kit lens, so I bought the Xti body-only and bought the 18-55IS. Later, I added the 55-250IS. The 50 f/1.8 is next on the list, although I'll probably get the 430EXII first.

The 24-85 got a very good review on Photozone, but one of the knocks against it was the focal length. Depending on what you want to shoot, the 24mm on the short end may be limiting.

ft

EDIT - I'm guessing you meant the 40D, right? If so, then forget about my comments on the Xti. The stuff about the lenses still apply.

No, I meant 400D. The 40D seems to be too big for my liking :p

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Great choice, especially in glass. With a decent walkaround lens you're good to go.

I would agree with ftaok about the 24-85. 24mm on a cropped sensor isn't all that wide. The Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 seems to be well-liked, with the constant f/2.8 aperture in a good focal length range for cropped bodies. They run around 400 dollars, from what I've seen. The newer kit lens, the 18-55 IS, is of course slow (but sharp) and only costs around 150.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Great choice, especially in glass. With a decent walkaround lens you're good to go.

I would agree with ftaok about the 24-85. 24mm on a cropped sensor isn't all that wide. The Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 seems to be well-liked, with the constant f/2.8 aperture in a good focal length range for cropped bodies. They run around 400 dollars, from what I've seen. The newer kit lens, the 18-55 IS, is of course slow (but sharp) and only costs around 150.

Yes, I heard about the Tamron. Unfortunately they don't sell them here.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

Here are Tamron's listed distributors for the locations in your profile:

Austria
Slach Bildtechnik Vertriebsges.m.b.H. & Co KG
email: info@slach.at
http://www.slach.at Kolpingstrasse 21
1230 Wien Tel: +43 (1) 61044-0
Fax: +43 (1) 61044-50

Slovakia
Penta SK s.r.o.
email: predaj@pentask.sk
http://www.pentask.sk Hradská 3G
821 07 Bratislava Tel:+421 (2) 40 20 25 51
Fax: +421 (2) 40 20 25 59

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->

You can get Tamron lenses anywhere in the EU. Here's one place in Austria that has a couple in Stock:

http://www.electronic4you.at

I'm sure you'll have no problem finding the 17-50mm in either country. You might have to order online or place an order at a shop, but you can get one. You can also get them on eBay.de.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.