Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Got mine earlier today which was a nice surprise since I didn't pay for priority shipping. Nice, simple case with solid build quality. It feels like what the Apple silicone case should've been. It's definitely thinner than the Apple case and wraps around the entire phone. Fits like a glove and the grip is good (for me). I got the black which looks super sleek on my space gray iPhone especially with the screen off. It completely covers almost every opening so my phone literally looks almost all black. Drop protection is moderate - my phone accidentally took a tumble on my driveway not more than two minutes after I put it on. Both phone and case were completely unscathed. It probably won't save my phone from a two story drop, but it feels pretty durable overall. I'm impressed and this will probably be my main case. I've been a Veil user for a while, but it's nice finally not having to care too much about potentially dropping my phone.

Oh, and there's a lip that comes up a bit over the screen which is a nice touch. It works fine with my Tech Armor tempered glass screen protector. (Not the edge to edge kind. Not sure if those would be compatible with this case)

Ill try to post photos later. Too tired to do all that at this hour.

Mine came today and I'm pretty pleased too. It's similar in feel to TPU cases but is thin without feeling flimsy if that makes sense. Ditto the thoughts about the Veil. I've been a huge Veil fan boy, but if I'm honest sometimes I could use a slightly thicker case for the protection so the sheath seems like a good compromise.

I got the gray and it looks great. Wouldn't mind seeing some transparent options in the future, but I'm a happy camper for now.
[doublepost=1454913218][/doublepost]
Are there any seems / joints along the sides of the case?

Is it completely smooth along the sides?

Yeah, there's a slight seam on the side that runs around the case, but it's close to completely smooth to the touch and not something most people would care about.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Received mine today (RED) and my first impression is that I am disappointed.
1. Material feels very weird and not altogether quality-like. It feels (and looks) cheap.
2. Flash cutout is not aligned with flash
3. The case is semi translucent in the back. Not a big deal in-and-of-itself, but I was expecting a solid color back. I have a metal plate that I use for my car mount and it shows right thru the plastic material. This is not the case's fault but I was expecting a little thicker back to cover and not have a "bump" in the area of the plate.
4. Even without the plate, case is difficult to put on the phone.

I think this is going back.

Last edited:

temgesic

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2016
Received mine today (RED) and my first impression is that I am disappointed.
1. Material feels very weird and not altogether quality-like. It feels (and looks) cheap.
2. Flash cutout is not aligned with flash
3. The case is semi translucent in the back. Not a big deal in-and-of-itself, but I was expecting a solid color back. I have a metal plate that I use for my car mount and it shows right thru the plastic material. This is not the case's fault but I was expecting a little thicker back to cover and not have a "bump" in the area of the plate.
4. Even without the plate, case is difficult to put on the phone.
Please share some photos of it with your iPhone mounted

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Is the case flimsy? Like flimsy on the sides?

No. The sides are pretty solid but keep in mind the case is brand new.

FYI all,

I have already taken it off and put back my Evutec S. I can snap some pics later when I get home from work.

Reactions: danny8200

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Is the case flimsy? Like flimsy on the sides?

No. The sides are pretty solid but keep in mind the case is brand new.

FYI all,

I have already taken it off and put back my Evutec S. I can snap some pics later when I get home from work.

C0SM0

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2009
I also got my case today. It's not quite what I expected either. The case is very minimal. I actually like the faux antenna lines, as they add at least something to the otherwise plain case. As for the material, it is kind of hard to explain. It's not as brittle as the Veil (if the veil were this difficult to put on, it would break), and is not gummy like a regular clear tpu case, but it is thin and somewhat flexible (when on the phone, it fits fairly tight...not too flimsy at the sides). I guess it's somewhere in between the two. In my opinion, it isn't as grippy or protective as Caudabe says. The grip is maybe a bit more than the Veil, and I do like the covered buttons and slight lip around the screen, but due to the thin material, I doubt it would save the phone from a drop. However, if you like the Veil and just want a little more protection, I think you'll be pleased with this case.

All in all, even though it isn't quite what I expected, I'll probably keep it on for a while and see how it goes. If Caudabe could find a way to get this material in a clear or frosted color that would show the back of the phone, it would really help the Sheath not look so plain. My only real complaint is about the bottom cutouts. They are a bit off.

Here are some pics of the gray case on my iPhone 6s:

57209BF9-27CE-4FD5-B64D-B3995F78A9E5.jpg

0FDD5816-035F-455D-BA35-2005A6B499E3.jpg

1A0A714A-60D9-4E18-ACE1-BAB2A8C36AD5.jpg

I apologize for the quality of the pics, they were taken with an iPad Air.

Reactions: danny8200

temgesic

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2016
Oh man this case wraps around the display quite a lot, i thought it would be less .. also, the cutouts do not seem to be precise, as one screw from the Lightning Port can be seen .. ok start to regret having bought 2 of them, looked better on their website .. but maybe they feel quite good .. but I am no longer euphorical about this what is great because my last order took about 2 months to arrive in germany :D

Thanks for the images though. Hope some other members will also post some more pictures with the iPhone in it!

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Here's pics of my Red case. It's going back not just because of how it looks with my metal plate for the car dock, but it feels really cheap compared to some of the other cases I have. Very disappointing.
IMG_0458.jpg
IMG_2673.jpg
IMG_2674.jpg
IMG_2675.jpg
IMG_2676.jpg

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
This case is pretty much perfect. I got the black one with my space gray iPhone 6s it's minimal, then, and gives me enough protection.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
This case is pretty much perfect. I got the black one with my space gray iPhone 6s it's minimal, then, and gives me enough protection.

Got mine today and love it too. Also got the black one. It's just thick enough to protect against drops, but not as bulky as most other cases. No issues at all with the fit. The cutouts fit perfectly. I think it probably matters how you install it, as the first time I put it on, one of the cutouts was slightly off. But I followed the installation instructions the second go round and the fit has been perfect.

ahmede

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Seems that this is nothing but a glorified $1 case.

The seam / joint running all along the side is typical of a cheaply manufactured product.

You wont find this on any Apple made case.

AeroZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Estonia

The seam / joint running all along the side is typical of a cheaply manufactured product.

The red case looks pretty cheap and bad yea.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013

Lol, and I'd also never pay what Apple charges for their cases (again, ahem, yeah they got me once).
Anyway, you'd have to be pretty picky to care about the seam on the Sheath, at least on mine. It's visible but barely noticeable. Had I not seen your post, I wouldn't even have noticed. I think it probably matters even less visually since the one I got is solid black.

I've tried my share of cheap cases and this one is not that in my opinion. I particularly like how all the edges and button holes are smooth and rounded. The buttons themselves are also pretty tactile. And it fits like a glove which is probably the most important aspect. Overall, I like the feel and look (although I have the black. I don't think the red looks too great either). It's a nice thin case that will should protect my phone much better than the Veil ever did (which while I loved the Veil was my only complaint about it).

Last edited:

AeroZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Estonia
Lol, and I'd also never pay what Apple charges for their cases (again, ahem, yeah they got me once).
Anyway, you'd have to be pretty picky to care about the seam on the Sheath, at least on mine. It's visible but barely noticeable. Had I not seen your post, I wouldn't even have noticed. I think it probably matters even less visually since the one I got is solid black.

I've tried my share of cheap cases and this one is not that in my opinion. I particularly like how all the edges and button holes are smooth and rounded. The buttons themselves are also pretty tactile. And it fits like a glove which is probably the most important aspect. Overall, I like the feel and look (although I have the black. I don't think the red looks too great either). It's a nice thin case that will should protect my phone much better than the Veil ever did (which while I loved the Veil was my only complaint about it).
Care to share some pics of your case? :)

ahmede

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011

In the pics of the blue case you can clearly see the seam which means that it will be felt when handling the phone, if the manufacturer is following this thread a response will be appreciated.

temgesic

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2016
The black one looks more like the gray version but i think it fits the black iphone very good, looks great. But those cutouts ... is the case flimsy so you push the edge away every time you swipe over your display and touch the side of the case? A picture of low profile to see the edge which raises up on the display edge would be nice.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
The black one looks more like the gray version but i think it fits the black iphone very good, looks great. But those cutouts ... is the case flimsy so you push the edge away every time you swipe over your display and touch the side of the case? A picture of low profile to see the edge which raises up on the display edge would be nice.

It fits pretty tightly (to the point where it can be a little tough putting on) and there's no movement when Im just swiping. If I purposely apply force to the edges, then yeah there's some movement. I'd categorize it as one of those things I wouldn't even have noticed if no one brought it up.

My cutouts are good. Sorry, I don't have a second device here to take a photo with otherwise I would. But as I mentioned before, it looks like the cutout alignment just depends slightly on how you install it. The first time I put mine on, the bottom mic hole was a little off, as was the camera hole (although even then it wasn't a big deal). When I tried again following the method in the instructions, everything was lined up fine. Not sure why, maybe it's the flexibility of the material itself.

The more I use it, the more I like it. It's got a nice feel to it and doesn't add much bulk at all. It's also somewhat liberating not having to coddle my phone at all anymore!!

Reactions: temgesic
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.