Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wildheart3

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2016
Do you guys have the old iphone 6 magpul cases or the newer ones, labeled for both 6/6s?

I noticed they have changed some colors but not sure if the case changed structurally.

What do you think?

I'm considering buying the new magpuls or the sheat. I already have an old magpul but can't really stand the bulkiness anymore, unless the new model has significant advantages!

I bought a Black Magpul Case from Ebay and wondered, on more than one occasion whether it might be a fake..it did look a little more bulky than the cases you see on YouTube videos, or online reviews, but that might be down to careful camera angles/airbrushing ;O))

However, I bought another one from a site in the UK, which specializes in outdoor/army type stuff and it does seem to be slightly thinner and more importantly a darker "black."

So, they may've changed the design/colour, assuming my original case is not a fake! :O)

However, I've been using the Sheath for a couple of weeks now and absolutely love it and have the black one winging its way to me, as I type..

Of the two, aesthetically, I'd prefer the Sheath, but there definitely is something about the Magpul Cases which is appealing, they feel amazing in the hand and I have to say, I occasionally put it back on.
It also may have something to do with the fact that I never worry about bumps/scratching/drops when the Magpul Case is on, it seems reassuringly sturdy..

In the end, before I part company with the iPhone 6, I've narrowed it down to these 2 cases as a preference, after months of searching and won't be looking elsewhere.

Mind you, I've said that before!

Last edited:

slicktor

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
I just tried the Veil XT from Caudabe for the first time. It's definitely a case that will only offer protection from scratches... I think the Sheath is a better option for most people. Looks more durable and well fitted. Here is a little blog post I wrote about the Veil XT. http://victoryyuen.com/reviews/2016/4/5/caudab-veil-for-iphone-6

After about a month use. I do realize that my Veil is getting a little loose? The same thing happened with a super thin case from Spigen. They just don't keep their tight shape.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I tried the Veil on my 6s and it was too plasticky and slippery I returned it after a few days. How is the Sheath compared to the Veil in terms of grip, Is the Sheath made of that plastic smooth feel?

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
I tried the Veil on my 6s and it was too plasticky and slippery I returned it after a few days. How is the Sheath compared to the Veil in terms of grip, Is the Sheath made of that plastic smooth feel?
I had wished the Sheath was a bit more grippy. After using it a few days I had too many close calls and went back to a bumper with a skin on the back.

Wildheart3

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2016

I've tried the Veil and took it off after a few minutes! :O)
However, I've been using the Sheath for a over a month now and have, so far, not dropped the phone! :)

I'd say it's not "grippy," but the phone definitely feels pretty "safe," in the hand, there's a "matte," feeling to it and along with a decent Screen Protector it feels pretty secure.
They seem to have a pretty good 30 day, no quibble, returns policy and for what you get it's one of the more reasonably priced cases out there and the fit is one of the best I've come across.

pixel_junkie

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
Just got mine. I'm impressed. Fit is perfect, feels great and comes with a full year warranty. It's definitely slim but not overly. Not crazy about the antenna line patern on it but can't have it all I guess. Love the way the buttons feel through it, definitely easy to press them (unlike my apple leather case which I switched from for this exact reason).

shreff86

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2015
Just got mine. I'm impressed. Fit is perfect, feels great and comes with a full year warranty. It's definitely slim but not overly. Not crazy about the antenna line patern on it but can't have it all I guess. Love the way the buttons feel through it, definitely easy to press them (unlike my apple leather case which I switched from for this exact reason).

Is yours for the regular or plus version of phone

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
The Sheath is a little too slippery for me. When I was ordering it I also ordered a case mentioned earlier in this thread (NX Case). It's a little grippier than the Sheath and I really like it. The problem is I can't find it for sale anymore. Anyone know where to find? I'd like a spare.

Here is the original listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/171923128663

NX New Crystal Rubber Soft TPU Silicone Ultra-thin Back Case For iPhone 6 Plus

Here's a pic on my phone.
OJmHw8Lg

Last edited:

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
The Sheath is a little too slippery for me. When I was ordering it I also ordered a case mentioned earlier in this thread (NX Case). It's a little grippier than the Sheath and I really like it. The problem is I can't find it for sale anymore. Anyone know where to find? I'd like a spare.

I also ordered that NX when I saw it earlier in the thread and got a Sheath for comparison. They're similar, but the fit and finish on the Sheath is much better. The NX is basically a knockoff. The lip doesn't quite come up as much as the Sheath leaving the screen exposed more and the perimeter doesn't grab on as tight as the Sheath, at least on the one I got. It also got dirty/yellowish on me really quickly (I probably should've known better) and some photos I took with flash seemed washed out in the corners. I attribute both issues to to the fact that it was a clear case, but could be wrong.

Anyway I switch now between the Sheath and just going completely naked. The Sheath is good for when I'm out and about. I don't find it slippery, but I did notice that mine had a slightly rougher texture than one my buddy got a few months ago. Not sure if they changed up the texture in a newer batch?

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire

OJmHw8Lg
I have a couple of these in clear. I bought them but am not using them. They are for the 6 or 6S Plus.

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
i cannot believe how the Sheath changed my feelings towards my 6s+
the Veil was too minimal and my phone fell so i put on a bulky Spigen.
but i had enough and checked the Sheath.
now i can finally feel the phone's real aesthetics, and yet be secured enough for minor bumps.
it's perfectly designed and even if a bit slippery, but i like the feel in hand.
(well, a naked phone will also feel the same so it's ok for me),
with a Daswise/Icemax screen protector it's just perfect.
thanks Caudabe.

Reactions: danny8200

Daranx

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
London
Waiting patiently for the iPhone 7/plus versions of The Sheath! According to their PR, it should be revealed pretty soon.

Alex_89

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2015
I've ordered mine last friday, but living in Spain means that I have to wait a long time before receiving it.

Has anyone reviewed the "new" version of it?

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
I wonder when The Sheath for the iPhone 7 is coming out. You'd think they'd have it available by now.

Daranx

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
London
I wonder when The Sheath for the iPhone 7 is coming out. You'd think they'd have it available by now.
I've asked on their Facebook page as for the last few weeks they've been saying that 'it should be one to two weeks'... don't think they have a particular time-frame even if they keep saying that they're 'coming off the manufacturing line', so I guess they'll take as long as they take

SR Steve

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
FYI, I confirmed that Caudabe did change the texture of the Sheath recently.
Yes, I'm on my 3rd one (gave my black one to a friend and kept my gray one) and this new black model has a much better texture than the earlier editions. The surface feels like very fine sandpaper with slightly more resilience than the others.... a definite improvement.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Just got the new Veil XT and I'm very pleased with the new texture. I have been switching back and forth for months using no case and the Sheath case. I like the feel of the new Veil and think I'll keep it in for a while until I get tired of it.

Attachments

• IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 377
  • IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 287
  • IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 313
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.