Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Waiting on those pictures...

My bad. Been swamped the last couple of days. Here are photos. Not the best photo job in the world so go easy on me. Loving this little case. The fit is nice and tight, everything else is on point. It's definitely on the minimalist side, but still feels very durable. Already dropped my phone twice with nary a scratch on either the case or my phone. Big fan of the look too. The black sheath with the black face of my space gray iPhone gives off a 2016 Batphone vibe. Follow the install instructions if you get the case as it can be a bit tough to put on the first time. You can also see how the case works with my glass screen protector.

sheath1.jpg
sheath2.jpg
sheath3.jpg

Last edited:

pcmike

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
How is th alignment for the camera and flash on the back? Can you take a head on picture showing us the alignment? Thank you!

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
How is th alignment for the camera and flash on the back? Can you take a head on picture showing us the alignment? Thank you!

Alignment is fine. There are already photos of the black case in this thread showing the camera and flash head on (on the black case). I'll see if I can post photos later tonight, but you can see the alignment is pretty centered in one of my photos in my last post, albeit at a slight angle.

I'd just echo another poster's comment that it does seem that alignment somewhat depends on how you put on the case. I've taken the case on and off several times now and if I try to install the bottom of the phone first, sometimes the camera cutout is slightly misaligned. If I put the phone in head first and then pull the rest around the phone, everything is perfect. Incidentally, this latter method is what the instructions suggest, so if it seems like misalignment issues would be because, as one Steve Jobs might say, "you're doing it wrong."

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Incidentally, this latter method is what the instructions suggest, so if it seems like misalignment issues would be because, as one Steve Jobs might say, "you're doing it wrong."

Nope. I followed directions to the letter and even tried other ways and still had alignment issues. I chalk that up to a bad cut which YMMV. End of the day, that really didn't bother me as much as the material feel and inability to work with magnetic car holders (plate in back).

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Here are pictures of my gray Sheath. The color doesn't show up well in these pictures, but it's definitely a dark gray in the flesh. Glad I picked this over black since I think the gray looks better with my silver iPhone.

I've had it on for the past several days and like it. This will be my main case going forward. It's thin and doesn't add much bulk, but still feels like it would protect against stuff falls from your hands accidentally, etc. And I don't get the sense that the case itself will break very easily either. Same cannot be said for cases like the Veil.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
Anyone try this with an edge to edge screen protector? I have a Godosmith IceMax 3D SP on and would like this case if it doesn't lift the SP.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Anyone try this with an edge to edge screen protector? I have a Godosmith IceMax 3D SP on and would like this case if it doesn't lift the SP.

The lip comes over just enough that it would probably overlap with the edge to edge screen protectors. I don't know if you could wrap it over or what, but I'm guessing you probably can't. I know it works fine with my non edge to edge protector (in the photos I attached) and leaves a slight gap which I've always been ok with since it's not part of the visible screen section and I can't imagine anything scratching that portion.

parrot5

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
I also have the Godosmith IceMax 3D, on my 6, and my Sheath arrived two days ago. The lip of the Sheath wraps upwards so much that it covers the edge of the e2e full screen glass protectors. It sounds like a good idea, more dust-proof, if I can actually get the whole lip up. With the extra height/width that the lip needs to wrap around, I couldn't get the last corner installed without risking to introduce a big bubble in the protector.
You can probably do it with more force, but you know how if you press the corners of a full screen e2e screen protector too much, a bubble would form near it? (Fortunately I quickly wiped a small one away without a trace.)I didn't want to force it too much since I got this protector perfectly installed (lol) and I'm more into tougher cases these days.
Back to Magpul (fits with e2e protectors fine) and UAG (still fine, quickly wipe away small bubble if you told it too tight or bumped it on the side/corner or something) for me. Trying Tough Armor Tech next.

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
I also have the Godosmith IceMax 3D, on my 6, and my Sheath arrived two days ago. The lip of the Sheath wraps upwards so much that it covers the edge of the e2e full screen glass protectors. It sounds like a good idea, more dust-proof, if I can actually get the whole lip up. With the extra height/width that the lip needs to wrap around, I couldn't get the last corner installed without risking to introduce a big bubble in the protector.
You can probably do it with more force, but you know how if you press the corners of a full screen e2e screen protector too much, a bubble would form near it? (Fortunately I quickly wiped a small one away without a trace.)I didn't want to force it too much since I got this protector perfectly installed (lol) and I'm more into tougher cases these days.
Back to Magpul (fits with e2e protectors fine) and UAG (still fine, quickly wipe away small bubble if you told it too tight or bumped it on the side/corner or something) for me. Trying Tough Armor Tech next.
Thanks. I had the same issue with my current bumper (Monoprice) but got the lip up and over and now it's holding up no bubbles.

parrot5

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
I went ahead and ordered the red. Totally not impressed. It reminds me of the cheap ones you get on ebay or aliexpress.
Yeah I have a cheap one that's translucent, but more loose-fitting. The Sheath is more opaque and tight-fitting.
Too bad it's a hassle for cross-border returning.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Yeah I have a cheap one that's translucent, but more loose-fitting. The Sheath is more opaque and tight-fitting.
Too bad it's a hassle for cross-border returning.

Yeah, not sure what people are expecting from the case, but the fit and feel is actually what I love about it. Similar cases I've had are either too bulky or not very tight fitting. This one fits like a glove and has a nice texture to it.

Also seems like the color matters for this thing - red doesn't seem like a good choice. I got the gray and I actually love the look as it's understated/elegant. The black looks pretty cool in the photos on here too.

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
My wife got this today for her 6s and I had a chance to play around with it. Nice, simple case that fits really tight around the iPhone. I hate using the analogy that it fits like a glove, but it does literally fit like a tight glove. Very minimalist, but not as thin as the Veil and it's a completely different feel from the Veil. Grip is better than the Veil and it looks pretty classy to me (she has the black on space gray iPhone). She's a c-level executive so this will suit her well in her meetings and whatnot. It's a good option if you want something pretty thin but that protects more than the Veil. It seems pretty sturdy and would hold up well over time.

I've got and like a Veil XT on my 6 Plus but now that I've had it for several months it seems more like a knee jerk reaction to get away from the otterboxes I used to have. I do sometimes wish I had something with just a little more oomph to it, not to mention durability. This sheath seems like a happy medium, willprobably try one out when they're available for the big kahuna iPhones.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
image.jpeg
This case looks exactly like the $3 case I purchased on eBay but just with the Caudabe branding in it.

The NX case is actually a decent case and has more texture to it which provides a bit more grip than the veil. However, even though it provides more grip, it's not grippy enough for me. I ended up with a clear .6 case with excellent grip. My reasoning is - I have the 6 S Plus and I don't want any case that makes the phone bulkier but I don't want to drop it in the first place. So that's my goal. I loved the Veil but it provided zero grip. I also tried installing skins with grip but couldn't get an installation that I was happy with.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlliFlowers

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Based on the thread, I'm going to give the Sheath another try, this time in Gray. I have ordered a clasp-type vent mount for the car so I shouldn't be limited on what case I can use (like the magnetic ones).

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I've been switching between the Veil XT and a Spigen Capsule:
http://www.spigen.com/products/iphone-6s-case-capsule?variant=5904856129

While I'm pleased with both cases I find myself using the Capsule most of the time due to its better protection and higher grip factor... durable wetsuit vs. sexy lingerie. This one should bridge the gap between the two... stretch jeans?

I've ordered a gray one.

I have the Capsule too. Good case. I like the Sheath slightly more because it feels thinner and the sides grip more tightly. I also prefer the Sheath's camera cutout design. The one thing about the Capsule though is that it doesn't wrap on to the screen as much so people with full screen protectors might find it a better fit. I don't use those types so it doesn't affect me, but just something I noticed.
[doublepost=1456082589][/doublepost]
View attachment 617576 This case looks exactly like the $3 case I purchased on eBay but just with the Caudabe branding in it.

The NX case is actually a decent case and has more texture to it which provides a bit more grip than the veil. However, even though it provides more grip, it's not grippy enough for me. I ended up with a clear .6 case with excellent grip. My reasoning is - I have the 6 S Plus and I don't want any case that makes the phone bulkier but I don't want to drop it in the first place. So that's my goal. I loved the Veil but it provided zero grip. I also tried installing skins with grip but couldn't get an installation that I was happy with.

The only similarity seems to be the camera cutout is the same. Otherwise that looks hideous, both the colors and the gaudy white printed logo. The Sheath has embossed logos on the inside and the outside rather than printed on like these cheap eBay cases. Not to mention the fit and finish (and maybe material) is probably different. One thing I've loved about Caudabe cases is that they're simple, but elegant in the details. Like logos that aren't ostentatious or in the case of the Sheath just really nice craftsmanship. There's a seam that goes down the side of the case, like some other poster mentioned. My Spigen Capsule has the same exact seam, but on the Sheath I can barely even feel it. It's just really smooth, whereas it's more noticeable on the Spigen. And the fit of the Sheath is overall really tight and feels sturdy. Well worth the $15 and change I paid after the discount.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
The only similarity seems to be the camera cutout is the same. Otherwise that looks hideous, both the colors and the gaudy white printed logo. The Sheath has embossed logos on the inside and the outside rather than printed on like these cheap eBay cases. Not to mention the fit and finish (and maybe material) is probably different. One thing I've loved about Caudabe cases is that they're simple, but elegant in the details. Like logos that aren't ostentatious or in the case of the Sheath just really nice craftsmanship. There's a seam that goes down the side of the case, like some other poster mentioned. My Spigen Capsule has the same exact seam, but on the Sheath I can barely even feel it. It's just really smooth, whereas it's more noticeable on the Spigen. And the fit of the Sheath is overall really tight and feels sturdy. Well worth the $15 and change I paid after the discount.[/QUOTE]

I have this NX Case in transparent and I guess I should have showed a photo of my actual case rather than the eBay photo. It has the same cutouts, the same banding for the antennas and has no hideous white logo. The NX logo is embossed at the bottom of the case and barely noticeable. It also has no noticeable seams - can't see them or feel them. Just saying. I'm not trying to put down the Caudabe just sharing the similar case that's been out for months. I had the Caudabe Veil before I found the Tozo at a much cheaper price with actually better fit.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I have this NX Case in transparent and I guess I should have showed a photo of my actual case rather than the eBay photo. It has the same cutouts, the same banding for the antennas and has no hideous white logo. The NX logo is embossed at the bottom of the case and barely noticeable. It also has no noticeable seams - can't see them or feel them. Just saying. I'm not trying to put down the Caudabe just sharing the similar case that's been out for months. I had the Caudabe Veil before I found the Tozo at a much cheaper price with actually better fit.
View attachment 617684

Interesting. Looks like that transparent has turned yellow. I might pick one up just for sh*ts and giggles since it's so cheap, but the other colors look pretty fugly and shipping takes three weeks from China.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Interesting. Looks like that transparent has turned yellow. I might pick one up just for sh*ts and giggles since it's so cheap, but the other colors look pretty fugly and shipping takes three weeks from China.

Of course it turned yellow. It was a cheap $3 TPU case sold on eBay and shipped from China. The texture doesn't look like my Sheath either, it's much more pebbly/matte. Probably manufactured from a different material altogether, but that's pretty much what you deal with when you buy on eBay. A friend of mine bought a case on eBay that looks exactly like the Apple silicone case for like $10. If you don't care about details, it works great. I don't waste my time on eBay unless it's sold directly by a major brand or someone like Best Buy. Even Amazon these days can be sort of iffy, but at least Amazon has a much more robust review system.

SR Steve

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
I have the Capsule too. Good case. I like the Sheath slightly more because it feels thinner and the sides grip more tightly. I also prefer the Sheath's camera cutout design.....
My Spigen Capsule has the same exact seam, but on the Sheath I can barely even feel it. It's just really smooth, whereas it's more noticeable on the Spigen. And the fit of the Sheath is overall really tight and feels sturdy. Well worth the $15 and change I paid after the discount.
Thanks for the direct comparison, looking forward to trying it out.

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
View attachment 617684
Any pics with the phone inside?

AeroZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Estonia
Received my case last week, tried it for a few days and I'm back to my Magpul Field case(s).
1. The case offers better grip than Veil XT but it's still somewhat slippery.
2. The case is slim which makes the lip flex on the sides of the screen. This makes the lip collect a lot of dirt from pockets for example.
3. The sleep and volume buttons are very narrow.
4. The cut-outs were pretty precise so no complaints there.
5. The case kind of looks and feels cheap.

Even though Magpul Field case makes the phone bulkier it's still a lot better case than the Sheath:
1. The side buttons are bigger, clickier and better to use.
2. The case is not that flexible and offers more protection.
3. The Magpul uses some special material which doesn't feel like it offers a good grip but it actually does. Good grip with gloves aswell.
4. The case "hides" the round slippery sides of the phone which also improves the grip.

Reactions: danny8200
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.