Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sergs582

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2021
Hello Everyone! I've bought brand new Macbook Air M1 a week ago, and during this period started noticing that bottom right corner of my MBA on some surfaces like tables or floor doesn't stick to them. It's lifted up by 1-2mm(depends on surface, open or closed lid is). And it leads to wobbling effect, when I'm pressing on the right palm rest there is a tiny movement. However, it happens not everywhere, for example, it can wobble on left side of my table, but putting it on the right side "magically" solves problem, or it can be stable on smth. but after rotating by 90 degrees gap between Macbook feet appears and I can feel movement. Firstly I thought it can be because of not completely flat surface that laptop is standing, but I've checked them with my MBP 16" and it's absolutely alright. Maybe it is because of thin design and really lightweight part under keyboard or it can be a little bit bent, but not visible at all. So maybe anyone else also have faced with this problem on M1 MBA or on previous generations, has someone fixed it? Unfortunately, I won't be able to return it in near future because the closest Apple Store is quite far away from me. And I really don't want to return this amazing laptop, because in other aspects everything is absolutely great.

Reactions: Burebista

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I had a similar problem with my new MBA. I solved it my loosening the bottom screws slightly across the board and making sure they were tight but not overtightened. It sits flat on every surface now.

As a sidenote, my 16" MBP also wobbled slightly, but because it was heavier, it was much more difficult to notice.

sky87

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2015
Got a new M1 MBA a bit more than a couple of weeks ago. Just noticed today at my desk at work that it wobbles on the right lower corner. Thought it might be a desk surface issue as it didn't wobble if I moved it to another part of my desk. Tried it on multiple surfaces at work - some were OK, but a number had the wobble on the right lower corner.

Just came home and tried it out on a couple of glass surfaces and a marble surface (which should all be truly flat) and the wobble is mostly gone (either gone, or very very slight depending on orientation). But if I put it on another desk (non glass/marble) at home, the wobble comes back.

I happen to also have a 13" MBP and a 12" MB with me so tried both of them out. Interestingly I discovered that the 13" MBP has a more pronounced wobble than the M1 MBA and I can very honestly say I have never noticed this before in the >2 years I've owned it. (Admittedly, it has spent much of the time on a ParcSlope stand...) The 12" MB doesn't have any wobble at all.

So at this point, I'm not entirely sure if the wobble on my M1 MBA is really that bad. On the one hand, it's always the right lower corner that wobbles. On the other hand, most of the wobble is gone on glass/marble surfaces. And given that I never even noticed the (more pronounced) wobble on my 13" MBP...

sergs582

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2021
Thanks Everyone for your replies. I've visited authorized Apple service center, they said that it's even not first or second M1 MBA with this problem, still they couldn't fix mine without Apple permission, I've contacted to support, explained everything in details, so they agreed that this issue is under warranty, so they gave the permission for service to fix it. Tomorrow I'm visiting them again:) Double check your devices!

sky87

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2015
To update on my M1 MBA - tried it out on even more desk surfaces at work today and it really varies, sometimes there is no wobble while at other times the right lower corner (never the left lower corner) wobbles.

It's just a bit annoying as it does wobble on my own desk at work, even if only slightly.

I have booked an Apple Genius Bar appointment so might bring it in to see if they can adjust things slightly... If not I guess I will just live with this as it's really a rather minor issue.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I would test the surface with leveler tool in order to make decisions whether it is Air wobbling or the desk being not perfectly flat.

Reactions: Moyapilot

DaMax85

macrumors member
May 19, 2011
Same issue. Picked up a SG M1 MacBook Air (8GB/256GB) from Best Buy today and when I got it home, I noticed the front left corner wobbles. I could even see the front left foot was not making contact with the desk. I tried it on multiple surfaces too so it's clearly a design flaw. All four feet seemed properly installed. I ended up taking it back. I then noticed one of the two floor models also had the same issue! Unfortunately, they didn't have any more in stock so I wasn't able to exchange it.

I've previously owned three MacBooks (two pros and one 12" retina) and did not have this problem with any of them, but it looks like this is a common issue with the MacBook Air. It's convinced me not to buy one unless I am able to take the unit out of the box in the store and inspect it.

I imagine I am just going to have to wait until Apple Stores here open back up. It might not seem like a big deal to some people, but I'm not paying a thousand bucks for a wobbly laptop right out of the box.

Reactions: Burebista

sky87

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2015
Update on my wobbly on the right M1 MBA - brought it to the Genius Bar in the hope that they might be able to adjust the feet or something to make it less wobbly. They seemed a bit surprised by this issue and said they hadn't really had people complaining about wobbly MBAs. Nonetheless they were extremely nice about it and offered a swap to a new unit (despite me being out of the 2 week return period).

The new unit... is wobbly on the left. But less wobbly than the one I originally had, and stable on most of the surfaces I use my macbook on. Also, when the wobbliness happens, I seem to tolerate this better than wobbly on the right (probably because I tend to rest my right hand on the macbook more than my left hand).

I've decided I can live with this, especially since my macbooks spend a lot of their time on stands where the wobbliness is less of an issue...

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Update on my wobbly on the right M1 MBA - brought it to the Genius Bar in the hope that they might be able to adjust the feet or something to make it less wobbly. They seemed a bit surprised by this issue and said they hadn't really had people complaining about wobbly MBAs. Nonetheless they were extremely nice about it and offered a swap to a new unit (despite me being out of the 2 week return period).

The new unit... is wobbly on the left. But less wobbly than the one I originally had, and stable on most of the surfaces I use my macbook on. Also, when the wobbliness happens, I seem to tolerate this better than wobbly on the right (probably because I tend to rest my right hand on the macbook more than my left hand).

I've decided I can live with this, especially since my macbooks spend a lot of their time on stands where the wobbliness is less of an issue...
I would not accept a computer that wobbles, especially one that cost $1k. My MBA doesn't wobble.

You should return that MBA and get it replaced. Inspect the new one before leaving the store.

sky87

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2015
I would not accept a computer that wobbles, especially one that cost $1k. My MBA doesn't wobble.

You should return that MBA and get it replaced. Inspect the new one before leaving the store.
It's within my tolerance limits so honestly, I don't have a huge issue with it. They were already nice enough to allow a swap despite it being over the time frame for returns (and given that it took me over two weeks of use to discover the original wobble in the first place, it wasn't a massive issue to begin with for me).

Geepaw

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2021
How much the wobble becomes an issue is depends on (1) the amount of wobble and (2) the severity of one's OCD. Every person will have different tolerances.

dilinger

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2016
Got the same issue with my MBA M1. Noticed one week ago. (I got it since 31/12/20). So it took my more that a month to notice.
This is probably because i type either on a satechi stand or a leather surface.
Nevertheless, it annoying and i hade never this problem before with either my MBP or 12'' Retina MB.

I see now its not a rare issue, but repair or fix, will take time and i can live a day without my machine.

dilinger

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2016
Thanks Everyone for your replies. I've visited authorized Apple service center, they said that it's even not first or second M1 MBA with this problem, still they couldn't fix mine without Apple permission, I've contacted to support, explained everything in details, so they agreed that this issue is under warranty, so they gave the permission for service to fix it. Tomorrow I'm visiting them again:) Double check your devices!
What happened with your device?
Did you visit them and did they fix or or replace it?

DaMax85

macrumors member
May 19, 2011
Just picked up a new Air on Friday and this one does not wobble. I had to return my initial purchase a few weeks ago because that one did wobble. Made the computer feel cheap, IMO.

Reactions: Chung123

Quackington

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
Interesting. I have a similar issue with my MBP, but I only noticed the wobble on one side of a wooden coffee table - I just put it down to the wood expanding or being a bit uneven as it’s probably not far off a decade old now. I haven’t noticed it anywhere else.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
My M1 MBA wobbles on lower right corner as well, on all surfaces... Jacked up by 0.5mm...

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
My M1 MacBook Air wobbles a lot. Can stick 7 post-it notes under the bottom right foot on flat surfaces such as a desk, couch table, kitchen counter, glass.

Tested my old Macbook Airs (2017 and 2012, the latter one was dropped on its corner twice) on the same surfaces and both are flawless, no wobble at all.

suste

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2021
hello everyone, i bought the second macbook air m1, and it wobbles too. Is there any way to fix? I don't know if I should make another return

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Just tried mine and it doesn't wobble at all on either side. For those having this issue keep returning until you get one you are happy with, as clearly there are some out there that are fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.