Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applemanit

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2020
Italy
I had a similar problem with my new MBA. I solved it my loosening the bottom screws slightly across the board and making sure they were tight but not overtightened. It sits flat on every surface now.

As a sidenote, my 16" MBP also wobbled slightly, but because it was heavier, it was much more difficult to notice.
I have the same problem.. do I lose my warranty if I do it so? I’m still in the returning period.

marzfreerider

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Germany
I have the same problem.. do I lose my warranty if I do it so? I’m still in the returning period.
You mean your AppleCare warranty? If you return it to be replaced your AppleCare will be refunded back to you so you can purchase again for the replacement. I went through this very recently and it was pretty easy. I'd call right away and set up a replacement for it.

Pankush

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2022
Hi, I am also facing the same issue with my new MBA which I bought a couple of days back. On a flat surface, it wobbles and it's quite noticeable and irritating. Will this be repaired by Apple support, or will they replace the MBA?

Quackington

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
Hi, I am also facing the same issue with my new MBA which I bought a couple of days back. On a flat surface, it wobbles and it's quite noticeable and irritating. Will this be repaired by Apple support, or will they replace the MBA?
Contact Apple. I think some people have said in this thread that they've had it replaced.

marzfreerider

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Germany

You have a 14 day return window, so if you haven't already, contact Apple to get a replacement. Where did you purchase from? Depending on where you purchased they should be able to do a straight exchange. I had this issue with mine and got a replacement.

Rahul27

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2022
I've purchased MBA M1 from Apple Online Store India in August, I've replaced it 2 times, the first 2 Macbooks had a wobble on the right side, the 3rd one had a slight wobble on the left, like Sky87 said, on marble there's minimal to no wobble at all, but on surfaces like wood, there's noticeable wobble, I decided to keep it since there's no return option in Apple Store India, besides, except this issue, the macbook is completely fine.

Rahul27

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2022
They'll replace it if you inform them before 14 days from purchase.

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
on marble there's minimal to no wobble at all, but on surfaces like wood, there's noticeable wobble
Are you sure that it's not the other way around? I mean, marble, just like glass, should be almost perfectly flat, but whatever wood surfaces you have can very well be uneven. My Air sits flat on glass and on my countertop, but it wobbles a little on my 15 y.o. desk.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I would test the surface with leveler tool in order to make decisions whether it is Air wobbling or the desk being not perfectly flat.
It would only wobble if the desk was warped. Even if the desk wasn’t level, the mac should sit flat.

LonderJan

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2015
Our new MacBook Air M2 arrived today and has the same issue. The problem occurs when the screen is fully openend. The chassis seems to deform and one of the rubber feet is lifted from the surface on which it stands. This results in an annoying wobbly sound when typing. When the screen is closed or at an angle that is less than 45 degrees, the issue does not occur.

Tried this on different surfaces (including a glass plate).

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Our new MacBook Air M2 arrived today and has the same issue. The problem occurs when the screen is fully openend. The chassis seems to deform and one of the rubber feet is lifted from the surface on which it stands. This results in an annoying wobbly sound when typing. When the screen is closed or at an angle that is less than 45 degrees, the issue does not occur.

Maybe the weight is getting tilted from front to back. Perhaps the issue may be with one of the back feet when it's closed. Did you check that?

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Apple should just patent "leveling feet for laptops" (the kind that come with fridges and washing machines) and call it day. Then they can take shoddy QC to the next level.

LonderJan

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2015
Maybe the weight is getting tilted from front to back. Perhaps the issue may be with one of the back feet when it's closed. Did you check that?
If it’s a weight tilting issue, wouldn’t that result in an issue on both frontal feet? I only have it with the frontal right foot. When closed all four feet touch the surface, when fully opened, the frontal right foot is not.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Check some samples at the Apple store. If it still bugs you return reorder.

Quackington

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK

I'd return it for an exchange.

lordthistle

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2008
Italy
The aluminum shell of the laptop is too soft: the MBA M1 can start wobbling any moment, depending on how you grab it. When it wobbles, it is enough to (manually) bend the case without applying too much strength/pressure and it goes back to "normal", i.e. it does not wobble any more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.