Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atompersona

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2021
Hey, same issue here (MBA M1). I thought I was going crazy because it wobbles on the lower right corner on some surfaces and on others it does not. I was running around the house like a lunatic testing every surface I could find. On one corner of the table it is wobbly and on the other it isn't. But it's always the lower right corner of the MBA.. I am going to make an appointment at the Apple Store and have them take a look at it. Any news from the others in this thread? Did you get a replacement unit or could they fix it in the store? If they replaced it: Where you able to take your machine back home until they had a replacement unit? I need my MBA for studying so I can't live to long without it...

Reactions: Burebista

DaMax85

macrumors member
May 19, 2011
The Apple Store by me says the wobble is a design issue that can’t be fixed. Seems strange considering so many Airs are affected. I’ve noticed several floor models at local Best Buy’s have the same problem. Seems to not be an issue with the Pro, or at least not as wide spread.

JLH81

macrumors regular
May 10, 2016
I haven't noticed any wobble on mine. I guess I should try it on some different surfaces.

atompersona

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2021
The Apple Store by me says the wobble is a design issue that can’t be fixed. Seems strange considering so many Airs are affected. I’ve noticed several floor models at local Best Buy’s have the same problem. Seems to not be an issue with the Pro, or at least not as wide spread.

Yeah I guessed it's a design issue. I tried some more surfaces and it sometimes wobbles on the front right side and sometimes in the front left, which means it's not the MBA which is warped but the table. I guess the aluminum-body is very stiff maybe especially because there are no more cutouts for fans. So if the table it stands on is only slightly uneven the Mac Book will start to wobble minimally.

Quackington

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
I noticed some wobble on my Intel 2020 MBP but then when I moved it to a different part of the table, it was fine. Gonna try to remember to check when I use it on another surface.

arrayka

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2021
The same issue with my brand new MacBook Air M1 2021. ?‍♂️
I’ve returned it. I’m waiting for exchange.

Apple, this is the first laptop ever I see with this ridiculous issue!

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
Probably not gonna be the most popular answer here, but either ignore it or stick on some small furniture pads on it if it's that big of a deal for you.
Having owned several non-retina MBAs I can clearly see how this "wobble OCD" can set in for someone with thin design laptop. In other words, it did happen in every single one of them on at least a few occasions.

grator

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2015
France
Well, you can try to loose all the 10 screws of the lower panel, than place your MacBook on a plane table, then tight back the screws. Kind of worked for me.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Are there any videos showing the problem?

Edit: I found this one. Are folks seeing a wobble as bad? I just picked up a new machine and I find that the front right foot seems to have a slight issue, but nothing like what is in the video linked here.

Burebista

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2019
So I guess I'm joining the club.

M1 Air wobbles in the lower right corner. It does depend on the surface - depending on which table, or parts of the table, it can get worse, better, or not wobble at all.

Only noticed it after 1 month of use.

Not sure if anything could be done about it as we have a no-return policy on Apple stuff in my country, unless it's a warranty case. Which this most likely isn't, according to vendors.

Quackington

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
So I guess I'm joining the club.

M1 Air wobbles in the lower right corner. It does depend on the surface - depending on which table, or parts of the table, it can get worse, better, or not wobble at all.

Only noticed it after 1 month of use.

Not sure if anything could be done about it as we have a no-return policy on Apple stuff in my country, unless it's a warranty case. Which this most likely isn't, according to vendors.
If it's a manufacturing issue, which I'm assuming this wobble is, surely it's a warranty case. Can you speak directly to Apple?

Burebista

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2019
If it's a manufacturing issue, which I'm assuming this wobble is, surely it's a warranty case. Can you speak directly to Apple?
At best they'll refer me to the local authorised service who are just a bunch of jerks. And since I discovered the issue only after a month of usage...maybe it's not critical enough to go through seven circles of hell for. Not sure if I wanna do it.

But it's certainly a design or manufacturing flaw. Shouldn't be this way.

Reactions: svanstrom

georgi0

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2006
Cyberspace
I also bought an MBA M1 in early Feb/2021 just noticed it wobbles on the front left corner. asked Apple about it and they say it is a cosmetic issue not hardware so the guarantee does not apply.

It gets to my nerves though paying 1700 euros, not having a proper laptop at least flawless from a company looking so much after the quality to make a difference.

Reactions: VaruLV

j_in_tx

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2018
I purchased 4 MBA M1s all at different times within the past 4 months. All 4 had the wobble on day 1. However, either we’ve all gotten used to it or it went away on it’s own. No one has been complaining to me about theirs. It really bothered me on opening day.

Chung123

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2013
NYC
I also bought an MBA M1 in early Feb/2021 just noticed it wobbles on the front left corner. asked Apple about it and they say it is a cosmetic issue not hardware so the guarantee does not apply.

It gets to my nerves though paying 1700 euros, not having a proper laptop at least flawless from a company looking so much after the quality to make a difference.

We had the issue with the first M1 Air we got in December and they sent us a replacement. (The replacement was perfect) It's more than a cosmetic problem. It's annoying. (And yes, we thought we were going crazy thinking it was our table.)

Reactions: VaruLV

Quackington

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK

I reckon you should complain, regardless if it's cosmetic or not. It's their fault, not yours, and it's not like it's cheap.

Reactions: Chung123

rmn1644

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2011
Seems I have a wobbler as well. For me the front left corner seems to be a bit higher. Seems they could fix this easy with some matched pads.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Seems I have a wobbler as well. For me the front left corner seems to be a bit higher. Seems they could fix this easy with some matched pads.
My guess is pads will wear unevenly and afterwards the Air will then sit evenly on the table.

I re-seated the screws on the bottom case and made sure not to over-tighten them, and my Air sits evenly on a table now. The tolerances for these devices seem to be very slim.

Reactions: rmn1644

bareanders

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2021
I fixed it myself by carefully bending the whole bottom half of the Mac the opposite way. Just had some minor wobble in my MBA M1. Hope this can be helpful to others.

Reactions: chabig

ljabuka

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2021
Thanks Everyone for your replies. I've visited authorized Apple service center, they said that it's even not first or second M1 MBA with this problem, still they couldn't fix mine without Apple permission, I've contacted to support, explained everything in details, so they agreed that this issue is under warranty, so they gave the permission for service to fix it. Tomorrow I'm visiting them again:) Double check your devices!
So, when they said “it’s even not first or second M1 MBA with this problem”, did they say Apple is aware of this or? Btw, My new MacBook Air M1 has same issue which makes me really mad and make not so comfortable work on it accordingly considering expectation and paid many for this man. It really annoys for this pricey machine. Moreover I have issue that beautiful piano music played on this almost perfect machine cause some kind of resonance with keys or case/enclosure in general which produce some distrurbing vibrating or crackle uneccessary sound. I think that related to same root cause as wobbling and it is general manufacturing defect of case I would say. That is also why I asked where did you return so that I do this the most painless way (considering place where I live ?). I think no replace option for me sound food because who knows what I get again the same ? (but probably they will not provide nothing except replacement ?)

Last edited:

ljabuka

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2021
So, according to Apple store by you say, shall be already known globaly by Apple. Which store said that? Did they say it on paper? I ask because have same issue and due to fact than I cannot enjoy fully my brand new MBA M1 (I am new MBA user btw) which I did not expect when buying it (did not find this issue until I bought it and started using actually) and due to fact that this seems general manufacturing defect of enclosure/case and finaly (based on the experience and the issues which make me mad) I want the most painless way to return/refund (it seems obvious general product issue shall not be problem to return since not ok in general and I am also “ fortunate one”, but sometimes even in these cases can be problem and one need spend much time and nervs, which is not good and I do not want to spent my time when product fault, that is why I asked since seems already many customers have same so should be now the most painless as possible to return. I
Excellent machine, but long term will make me even more crazy if I have to continue to use it due to the issue ?).

Last edited:

ljabuka

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2021
May I ask what is proven and way We can reach directly Apple so that we show them the case (I am “lucky one” joined the club), they (Apple) see that/ inspect and the preferably contact local resseller for return/refund (this option because from reading some other experience on forums, even after replace they had same issue). In my country as well can be kind complicated.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
So, according to Apple store by you say, shall be already known globaly by Apple. Which store said that? Did they say it on paper? I ask because have same issue and due to fact than I cannot enjoy fully my brand new MBA M1 (I am new MBA user btw) which I did not expect when buying it (did not find this issue until I bought it and started using actually) and due to fact that this seems general manufacturing defect of enclosure/case and finaly (based on the experience and the issues which make me mad) I want the most painless way to return/refund (it seems obvious general product issue shall not be problem to return since not ok in general and I am also “ fortunate one”, but sometimes even in these cases can be problem and one need spend much time and nervs, which is not good and I do not want to spent my time when product fault, that is why I asked since seems already many customers have same so should be now the most painless as possible to return. I
Excellent machine, but long term will make me even more crazy if I have to continue to use it due to the issue ?).
You can contact Apple through Apple Support online and you can initiate a return through text with them or in store (if you are still within the return window).

ljabuka

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2021

Hm, to me weired that guarantee does not apply. I have same issue and I am afraid long term batterry blow or whatever as further consequence can be long term using the laptop which can cause many other issues later like loose data or something like that bad thing (whatever root cause of the issue initially after shipped from factory with the obviously general manufacturing defect, I can see after many same experience, among you, me, many other on this and some other forums). I agree totaly there are contradictories. They cannot say something like cosmetic issue for this, this look like more serious defect. At same time looking after quality as you said to make difference. This laptop look to me amazing and I do not think I can find something better for me on market, but they need to fix this very basic defect considering intended quality and its price and they cannot saycosmetic issue because it is not cosmetic issue. And as last, this make me very mad and uncomfortable, I paid it a lot and expect good quality accordingly and comfortable work on it, without any frustration and so on …

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.