Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Hello, I just bought WorkOutDoors to get .gpx logs for photo tagging. I can use the workout modes, but they are not a perfect fit. What I would love to see:
- "Photo Walk" type
- Configurable GPS interval (1, 3, 5 minutes)
- Don't record it as an activity
- Simple screens (a quick stop button might be nice)
- Any tricks you can pull to extend battery life (i.e. GPS interval or accuracy)

Not sure if all of this is doable, or meshing well with the concept of WorkOutDoors.

Edit: I just read the above post about types in Apple Health. I think it is unlikely Apple would ever add a Photo Walk activity, so filing this under "Other" would probably be fine—if you have to file it.

A couple of people have asked about some sort of geotagging capability for photos. As you say it doesn't really fit into the way WorkOutDoors works at the moment. I may allow it in the future but probably not for a while. The next version is more about workout features and the one after will concentrate on navigation and maps. One of the features I will probably add to that version is the ability to create waypoints, which can be exported in the GPX file (possibly without the route if you wish), so that may be useful for you if you create a waypoint when you stop to take photos.

The trouble with switching GPS on and off is that the initial search for satellites usually takes more power than the tracking after the sensor has locked on to them, so I don't know how much battery it would save to do this search every minute or so. It would be interesting to know how infrequently it would need to check GPS in order to noticeably save power.

The best ways to preserve battery are to bring your iPhone with you so that it uses the GPS in that; and to switch on Workout Power Saving mode (an iOS/watchOS option). To switch this mode on go to the Watch app on the iPhone and select General on the My Watch tab. Scroll to the bottom to see the option. You can also control it from the watch by using the Settings app and then General and Workout. The power saving mode is at the bottom of that screen.

Hope that helps.

BD1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
How do I create a route from an existing workout? Do I have to export .gpx file then import it? It there another way to do this?

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
How do I create a route from an existing workout? Do I have to export .gpx file then import it? It there another way to do this?

Yes, that is the current way to do it. It is a bit clumsy so the next version will have an option to directly export a route from a workout. Sorry about that.

BD1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Yes, that is the current way to do it. It is a bit clumsy so the next version will have an option to directly export a route from a workout. Sorry about that.

Sounds good. Thanks.

Reactions: cfc

mgmooij

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2018
I have one (I think simple) field I'd like to be able to add to a screen: a clock. The small clock that sometimes shows in the upper right corner is too small for me...

And one thing I sometimes notice is: I always use the auto-rotation function, never North-up. But sometimes (or maybe always?), I notice that my run starts with North-up. Am I missing a setting or is this a setting for a next version (default orientation)?

Thx!

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I have one (I think simple) field I'd like to be able to add to a screen: a clock. The small clock that sometimes shows in the upper right corner is too small for me...

And one thing I sometimes notice is: I always use the auto-rotation function, never North-up. But sometimes (or maybe always?), I notice that my run starts with North-up. Am I missing a setting or is this a setting for a next version (default orientation)?

Thx!

The next version will have lots of new metrics including two clock fields to choose from: one with seconds (for wide fields) and one without. The total number of metrics in the next version is already over 300. Most of the new fields are due to intervals but there are plenty of others as well including sunset/sunrise, course, distance to route etc.

The auto-rotation on/off setting will be remembered but the app will not be able to determine the angle until you have moved a bit. There is no compass in the watch, so the app calculates the direction by using your GPS position. Unfortunately this means that you need to move in order for it to work out which direction you are going in and rotate the screen accordingly. So it will always be north up when you start a workout until you have moved and then (if you were auto-rotating at the end of your last workout) it will automatically rotate when it can.

A lot of people don't realise that the app has auto-rotation so in the next version I have made it default to auto-rotating when it can. Again this will not happen until you have moved and it can be switched off by tapping the compass. I will test this out in the beta and will not make this change if people do not like it, but I think that most people prefer auto-rotation.

Reactions: mgmooij

Vadym

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2019
Hey, I'm considering buying the app and have done my research. It seems the app has everything I need, except one thing that I wasn't able to confirm - while running with both phone and apple watch I usually have headphones connected to the phone. At the same time I'd like to receive audio cues. Is it possible that audio cues are delivered from the phone, while I start the workout on the watch? Thanks

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Hey, I'm considering buying the app and have done my research. It seems the app has everything I need, except one thing that I wasn't able to confirm - while running with both phone and apple watch I usually have headphones connected to the phone. At the same time I'd like to receive audio cues. Is it possible that audio cues are delivered from the phone, while I start the workout on the watch? Thanks

Unfortunately not. The audio cues are played on any headphones that are connected to the watch, and if no headphones are connected then by the watch speaker. This is the default way that audio works when an app asks watchOS to speak a phrase.

In theory it is possible for the watch app to send a message to the iPhone app asking it to speak the phrase, but to be honest no-one has ever asked for it. I will add it to my list or things to investigate though.

Thanks for considering the app.

Alan Mackey

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2011
Let's suppose today's run is a 5K. Could I set any kind of alert, so I can receive a notification every kilometer until I have completed the distance and finish the workout automatically?

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Let's suppose today's run is a 5K. Could I set any kind of alert, so I can receive a notification every kilometer until I have completed the distance and finish the workout automatically?

Yes, you can set a fixed distance when you start a workout. Tap the circle icon to the right of the activity name and then tap Fixed Length and then Set Distance. You can either set the distance manually, or just press the screen hard and common options such as 5K will appear. The workout will then automatically end after you have covered 5km.

By default the distance alerts will give a notification every 1km, which you can customise to display or speak whatever metrics you wish.

I hope that helps.

Alan Mackey

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2011
Yes, you can set a fixed distance when you start a workout. Tap the circle icon to the right of the activity name and then tap Fixed Length and then Set Distance. You can either set the distance manually, or just press the screen hard and common options such as 5K will appear. The workout will then automatically end after you have covered 5km.

By default the distance alerts will give a notification every 1km, which you can customise to display or speak whatever metrics you wish.

I hope that helps.

Thank you SO much! I've been looking for something exactly like this for a long time.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
@cfc Was curious if there's a setting to change the elevation data to feet instead of meters?

Yes. On the iPhone app it is on the Settings tab. On the watch app press the screen hard and tap Settings and then Units. Hope that helps.

thelorax76

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2016
Saskatchewan

Where is the setting to make it speak the metrics instead of just "bing" each km? I've been having to look at my watch thinking the sound might be an incoming text message.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Where is the setting to make it speak the metrics instead of just "bing" each km? I've been having to look at my watch thinking the sound might be an incoming text message.

Press the watch screen hard and tap Settings and then Alerts. Choose the workout type and then tap the Distance alert. Then turn on the Voice switch.

If you want for information then you can also use the buttons below the switch to configure the metrics that you want to be spoken each time. I hope that helps.

thelorax76

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2016
Saskatchewan
Press the watch screen hard and tap Settings and then Alerts. Choose the workout type and then tap the Distance alert. Then turn on the Voice switch.

Hey!! There are all kinds of wonderful settings in those screens that I had completely missed. That also lets me turn off the heart rate alert every five minutes in yoga, which was kind of disruptive.

Awesome! Thanks.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Hey!! There are all kinds of wonderful settings in those screens that I had completely missed. That also lets me turn off the heart rate alert every five minutes in yoga, which was kind of disruptive.

Awesome! Thanks.

I have added most of those settings to the iPhone app for a future version (not the next one), so they should be a bit more obvious then. Glad you like them!

Reactions: thelorax76

MJ22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2017
I did the update and my instant pace is still a disaster. (Rolling pace is fine). My slowest mile was 8:59 and the instant pace read mostly in the 11:00 to 13:00 range. HALP

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I did the update and my instant pace is still a disaster. (Rolling pace is fine). My slowest mile was 8:59 and the instant pace read mostly in the 11:00 to 13:00 range. HALP

Are you using the pedometer option in the current pace settings? That should be fine now.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
It seems you have problems with all data that rely on pedometer
Your watch has a calibration issue or an hardware defect
It’s not linked to the app (Apple or WOD)

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
WOD did not update on my watch. Had 4.1.3 still and 4.2 on the iPhone. Went to AppStore on watch and looked for updates. Nothing.
Searched for WOD in AW AppStore and there you go, there was a „update“ button available.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
WOD did not update on my watch. Had 4.1.3 still and 4.2 on the iPhone. Went to AppStore on watch and looked for updates. Nothing.
Searched for WOD in AW AppStore and there you go, there was a „update“ button available.

That does sometimes happen since watchOS allowed watch apps without iPhone apps. Unfortunately it is controlled by watchOS and iOS, and out of the control of the app.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Pointed this out as this could be the reason why @MJ22 still has pace problems.

Good point. @MJ22 you can check the version of the watch app by pressing the screen hard and tapping Settings and then More. The version number is at the bottom of that screen and should be 4.2.12.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.