Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgmooij

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2018
I'm considering a Wahoo, but there's a Tickr, TickrX and a TickrRun. Are they all capable? And are the differences of the more expensive versions worth it?

OMouyau

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2018
I'm considering a Wahoo, but there's a Tickr, TickrX and a TickrRun. Are they all capable? And are the differences of the more expensive versions worth it?

The expensive one has some motion sensor and memory included. Honestly I was just looking at HR so I went the simplest one. All other features you might need are already in the watch :)

Reactions: mgmooij

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
The expensive one has some motion sensor and memory included. Honestly I was just looking at HR so I went the simplest one. All other features you might need are already in the watch :)
I can't say, what you might need and I might be mistaken, but I doubt the watch can measure Ground Contact Time and Vertical Oscillation. A comparison table of features are here:
https://eu.wahoofitness.com/devices/heart-rate-monitors

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Sometimes you do have to go to extremes to get around the restrictions though. On iOS Apple allow developers to use their maps, but that isn't the case on the watch where you can only show map snapshots. So I spent many, many months writing the map renderer in WorkOutDoors, just to get around that issue.

In the end it was worthwhile because I could get the map exactly as I wanted, and also tailor it for outdoor workouts rather than being a general purpose map, but I wouldn't have bothered if the watch development system had provided Apple's maps!
I am glad you did. Since I miss satelite view on Apple maps, Your map is much more detailed and easier to orientate with :).

Reactions: cfc

BD1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
This is a great app. What is planned for the next release and when will it be released?

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
This is a great app. What is planned for the next release and when will it be released?

Thanks! The next release will include intervals; indoor workouts; auto-pause for more activity types; previous workout summaries on the watch; many more alerts, including off-route notifications; improved exporting; heart rate shown on menu screen (so you can wait for a lock before starting); and lots of other stuff.

I don't like to estimate release dates as I am not very good at it because I keep squeezing in "just one more feature". However I am aiming for about 2 months time. Roughly. Maybe.

BD1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Thanks! The next release will include intervals; indoor workouts; auto-pause for more activity types; previous workout summaries on the watch; many more alerts, including off-route notifications; improved exporting; heart rate shown on menu screen (so you can wait for a lock before starting); and lots of other stuff.

I don't like to estimate release dates as I am not very good at it because I keep squeezing in "just one more feature". However I am aiming for about 2 months time. Roughly. Maybe.

This all sounds great! 2 months is going to seem like a long time :)

PeckhamBog

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
London
Ordered basic Wahoo Tickr monitor today.

My wish list is some sort of shoe tracker in the app. I’ve currently got 5 different pairs of trainers that I use depending on where I am or what terrain I expect to run on.

Though you’d expect the user to know when to replace shoes depending on the condition it is in, it would be nice to see what mileage they’re accumulating and the price/mileage ratio.

Previously I used RunKeeper for 9 years and that is the one feature I miss most. RunKeeper plugged into a separate app called Shoe Tracker by Queso Technologies.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Ordered basic Wahoo Tickr monitor today.

My wish list is some sort of shoe tracker in the app. I’ve currently got 5 different pairs of trainers that I use depending on where I am or what terrain I expect to run on.

Though you’d expect the user to know when to replace shoes depending on the condition it is in, it would be nice to see what mileage they’re accumulating and the price/mileage ratio.

Previously I used RunKeeper for 9 years and that is the one feature I miss most. RunKeeper plugged into a separate app called Shoe Tracker by Queso Technologies.

At the moment the app is mainly intended for creating and analysing individual workouts. I tend to think that anything that involves analysing multiple workouts (including shoe tracking and other totals) should be handled by a different class of app that reads the workout data from Apple's health system rather than writing to it.

Such an app would enable users to use different apps for different types of workouts, but still keep track of totals. It would have similar functionality to Apple's Activity app but with more features. I think there is a gap in the market for something like that (apologies if there are already such apps).

Having said that several people have asked for shoe-tracking so it is on my To Do list and will probably be added at some time in the future.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
No shoe tracking for me - but voice feedback would be appreciated.

Voice feedback is already in the app. Press the watch screen hard and tap Settings. Then tap Alerts and pick the alert you wish to hear and switch on "Voice" for it.

I made "no voice feedback" the default because it can annoy people, which is why you need to specifically switch it on.

The next version will have configurable voice and display metrics, so that you can choose exactly which metrics are shown and spoken for each alert.

Reactions: FunkyMagicUK

diba

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2019
Well hidden ;-) - your app is able to nearly all, which makes it quite complex in finding all the details it offers.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Well hidden ;-) - your app is able to nearly all, which makes it quite complex in finding all the details it offers.

Sorry about that. It's hard to have lots of features in a watch app and to also keep them intuitive and easy to find on such a small screen!

Reactions: diba

diba

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2019
Probably moving settings to the iPhone could help - Is heart rate zone feedback possible, could not find this.
Agree that the small screen of the watch makes it much more difficult.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Probably moving settings to the iPhone could help - Is heart rate zone feedback possible, could not find this.
Agree that the small screen of the watch makes it much more difficult.

In the long term I plan to have every setting available on both the watch and the phone, but at the moment I am making everything available on the watch (so that you do not need the phone) and only the settings that benefit from the big screen are available on the phone. The phone app settings will gradually include more and more options with each version (including a major makeover in the next version).

You can currently set up minimum and maximum alerts based on bpm but not on zone. The next version will have zone change alerts with a configurable interval (i.e. only on zone changes, or on half zones, or 0.2 zones etc). You will also be able to configure the app to tell you the zone metrics on interval alerts (e.g. every mile, or every 5 minutes etc)

Reactions: RednBlue and diba

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
In the long term I plan to have every setting available on both the watch and the phone, but at the moment I am making everything available on the watch (so that you do not need the phone) and only the settings that benefit from the big screen are available on the phone. The phone app settings will gradually include more and more options with each version (including a major makeover in the next version).

You can currently set up minimum and maximum alerts based on bpm but not on zone. The next version will have zone change alerts with a configurable interval (i.e. only on zone changes, or on half zones, or 0.2 zones etc). You will also be able to configure the app to tell you the zone metrics on interval alerts (e.g. every mile, or every 5 minutes etc)

Re: The indoor workouts, will there be the ability to rename the workouts? Currently, I have some workouts that the default options for workout names, (ie, the 30 minute circuit at Planet Fitness, or Silver Sneakers classes) just don't fit.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Re: The indoor workouts, will there be the ability to rename the workouts? Currently, I have some workouts that the default options for workout names, (ie, the 30 minute circuit at Planet Fitness, or Silver Sneakers classes) just don't fit.

You can already rename individual workouts in the iPhone app, but you can't create and name new workout types. I may allow that in the future but don't have any plans to include it at the moment. Sorry about that.

Otto Pilot

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2016
You can already rename individual workouts in the iPhone app, but you can't create and name new workout types. I may allow that in the future but don't have any plans to include it at the moment. Sorry about that.

A weirdly specific use I would have for adding a new class of workout is to differentiate ebike as a separate category, so I dont "cheat" myself :) I end up manually renaming ebike rides before they go to strava, but having ebike as a category would rock.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
A weirdly specific use I would have for adding a new class of workout is to differentiate ebike as a separate category, so I dont "cheat" myself :) I end up manually renaming ebike rides before they go to strava, but having ebike as a category would rock.

At the moment the app offers a subset of the workout types that Apple offer. As I say it could theoretically allow other types and even offer the ability for users to create their own. However these custom types would have to translate to an existing Apple type (even if it is "Other") and this Apple type is what would appear for the workouts in Apple's apps (e.g. Health and Activity).

So it is possible to do this but would be slightly inconsistent with the rest of iOS. Also if Apple then introduce new types then that could cause issues if users have already created their own custom types. For example at the moment Apple only offer a "Cycling" type rather than separate "Mountain Biking" and "Road Cycling" types (let alone e-biking) so they may add these subtypes at some time in the future. They already have Walking and Hiking, which seem less distinct than MTB and road cycling, so it wouldn't surprise me.

This is the main reason that I am holding off on custom types for the moment. I want to wait as long as possible for Apple to introduce the missing common types before offering users the ability to create their own types.

henrikhelmers

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2017
Hello, I just bought WorkOutDoors to get .gpx logs for photo tagging. I can use the workout modes, but they are not a perfect fit. What I would love to see:
- "Photo Walk" type
- Configurable GPS interval (1, 3, 5 minutes)
- Don't record it as an activity
- Simple screens (a quick stop button might be nice)
- Any tricks you can pull to extend battery life (i.e. GPS interval or accuracy)

Not sure if all of this is doable, or meshing well with the concept of WorkOutDoors.

Edit: I just read the above post about types in Apple Health. I think it is unlikely Apple would ever add a Photo Walk activity, so filing this under "Other" would probably be fine—if you have to file it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.