Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FunkyMagicUK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2018
That's good to hear. Apple quote 5 hours for a new series 3 using GPS, so 6 to 7 hours was good going. If your iPhone was on then the watch battery would have almost certainly lasted the 10 hours you needed. If necessary you could have charged the iPhone instead of the watch, although it should also last the 10 hours on one charge.

Thanks for the feedback - as I say it's always great to hear about the app being used for different purposes!

Don’t want to deflect the thread, but is there any data or reviews on phone battery drain when using as a GPS source?

I’d always assumed it’s a short life from my experience using phone for navigating without connected to power, but I guess it’s really that the screen is on.

I have both a 41mile race (which will take me longer than AW can track standalone), and a 48hr “get as far from the start point as possible” coming up early next year and I’d kind of written off being able to use AW on them.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Don’t want to deflect the thread, but is there any data or reviews on phone battery drain when using as a GPS source?

I’d always assumed it’s a short life from my experience using phone for navigating without connected to power, but I guess it’s really that the screen is on.

I have both a 41mile race (which will take me longer than AW can track standalone), and a 48hr “get as far from the start point as possible” coming up early next year and I’d kind of written off being able to use AW on them.

I haven't heard any reviews of iPhone battery drain with GPS. There are lots of factors, such as the model of iPhone, the age of the battery, whether or not cellular is switched on etc. As you say, having the screen on all the time, such as when using it for car navigation, will eat up much more battery than if it is just sitting in your pocket supplying GPS to the watch.

I would expect that about 10 hours is possible on one charge for both a new iPhone and Apple Watch, which is probably enough for someone fit (or crazy :)) enough to run 41 miles. I wouldn't like to commit to it because of all the variables, but I know of many users who use their iPhones to supply GPS to the watch all day. However they could be using the "plus" size models, which have significantly larger batteries than the non-plus sized models (around 50% larger for older models).

However 48 hours would definitely require the use of power banks for both devices!

FunkyMagicUK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2018
I haven't heard any reviews of iPhone battery drain with GPS. There are lots of factors, such as the model of iPhone, the age of the battery, whether or not cellular is switched on etc. As you say, having the screen on all the time, such as when using it for car navigation, will eat up much more battery than if it is just sitting in your pocket supplying GPS to the watch.

I would expect that about 10 hours is possible on one charge for both a new iPhone and Apple Watch, which is probably enough for someone fit (or crazy :)) enough to run 41 miles. I wouldn't like to commit to it because of all the variables, but I know of many users who use their iPhones to supply GPS to the watch all day. However they could be using the "plus" size models, which have significantly larger batteries than the non-plus sized models (around 50% larger for older models).

However 48 hours would definitely require the use of power banks for both devices!

Yes same thoughts as me.

I’ll probably run a few comparative tests when I start ramping up distance...I often carry a phone in belt or race pack anyway when going beyond 15 miles or so.

For the 48hrs, I’m planning to attempt to have at least 6hrs sleep/laying down (in a bivvy behind a bush at the side of the road!) in every 24hrs, plus stops of at least 1hrs dotted across the day so unlikely to be moving for more than 5 or 6 hrs at a time so probably should be ok as long as I top up power at every opportunity and back to 100% overnight.
I’ve read the stuff about potentially losing “paused” workouts, so would just record each section and glue the tracks together afterwards to create a nice record of the event! (Unless I die of hyperthermia/exhaustion!)

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Yes same thoughts as me.

I’ll probably run a few comparative tests when I start ramping up distance...I often carry a phone in belt or race pack anyway when going beyond 15 miles or so.

For the 48hrs, I’m planning to attempt to have at least 6hrs sleep/laying down (in a bivvy behind a bush at the side of the road!) in every 24hrs, plus stops of at least 1hrs dotted across the day so unlikely to be moving for more than 5 or 6 hrs at a time so probably should be ok as long as I top up power at every opportunity and back to 100% overnight.
I’ve read the stuff about potentially losing “paused” workouts, so would just record each section and glue the tracks together afterwards to create a nice record of the event! (Unless I die of hyperthermia/exhaustion!)

That sounds like a plan. The app getting killed off when the watch is being charged is a new issue (and probably unavoidable if that is what watchOS decides) so, as you say, it's probably best to end the workout before recharging.

Good luck with both (mad) events!

mgmooij

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2018
I’m curious - is it currently possible in the watchOS APIs to do voice turn by turn? Would love it in this app or possibly in a driving app for turn by turn directions.

There's an app called Rungo that does just that, but there is no map in that app... So that functionality build in WOD would be great

Reactions: musicpenguy

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
There's an app called Rungo that does just that, but there is no map in that app... So that functionality build in WOD would be great

It is on my To Do list for the future. It was previously higher up the list ,but I did an AMA on reddit and most people seemed to want indoor workouts and intervals, so they became the focus of the next version. I currently plan to improve the navigation features in the following version though.

mgmooij

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2018
Hi, yesterday I was doing a run and noticed something strange with the heart rate. I don't think it had anything to do with the app but does anyone have seen this before? Apple watch 4 is a couple of weeks old... As you can see on the screenshot the heartrate stayed at a fixed hrm in the beginning of the workout for about two KM. These are the two workouts I noticed it, other workouts don't have this. Watch was tight at the wrist,not different than other workouts...

Attachments

• 077ADED3-F457-45EA-8168-77C335243D8A.jpeg
    077ADED3-F457-45EA-8168-77C335243D8A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 216
  • 3B85B6BD-EE0C-4731-AA86-57EDC9A6397D.jpeg
    3B85B6BD-EE0C-4731-AA86-57EDC9A6397D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 213

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Hi, yesterday I was doing a run and noticed something strange with the heart rate. I don't think it had anything to do with the app but does anyone have seen this before? Apple watch 4 is a couple of weeks old... As you can see on the screenshot the heartrate stayed at a fixed hrm in the beginning of the workout for about two KM. These are the two workouts I noticed it, other workouts don't have this. Watch was tight at the wrist,not different than other workouts...

Unfortunately sometimes the watch takes a while to get a proper lock. As you say it's more of a hardware issue than software and seems less common on the AW4.

I am adding display of the heart rate to the top of the main menu screen so that you can wait for a good lock before starting (like you currently can with the GPS). Hopefully this will mean that you can wait until you see it changing before starting a workout.

gsucyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014

I have been having this issue alot since it turned colder. It would say my HR was super high and stay there sometimes for quite awhile before it would settle down. Also it would work for awhile and then get "stuck" again part way into the run. I tried all different bands and tightness. It's more of a hardware limitation and the way that optical HR monitors work. I got frustrated and went back to wearing my chest strap for workouts and no long have the issue

mgmooij

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2018
I have been having this issue alot since it turned colder. It would say my HR was super high and stay there sometimes for quite awhile before it would settle down. It's more of a hardware limitation and the way that optical HR monitors work. I got frustrated and went back to wearing my chest strap for workouts and no long have the issue
That makes sense... After a couple of km's I've warmed up . What chest strap do you use with the AW? And can you use that together with other Bluetooth devices, like headphones?

gsucyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
That makes sense... After a couple of km's I've warmed up . What chest strap do you use with the AW? And can you use that together with other Bluetooth devices, like headphones?

I use the Wahoo Tickr because it has ANT+ as well as bluetooth so it works with my old Garmin watch.
https://www.amazon.com/Wahoo-TICKR-...F8&qid=1544040311&sr=8-3&keywords=wahoo+tickr

It works fine with other bluetooth devices such as headphones and they can both be connected to watch at the same time

Reactions: mgmooij

FunkyMagicUK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2018
A question about “getting ready to start”.

Few mins before a race start, during prerace briefing I go to the screen that has the activity selection on it (just “map” and “running” for me - would love a BIGGER button!) and GPS lock is acquired which usually takes no time or a few seconds at worst.

I keep checking this as when I press start as I get to the start line, or when gun goes if not chip timed, I want to be accurately measured from the off.

What I’ve noticed is if I let the screen time out, when I come back to it...the GPS hasn’t remained locked...so again there’s the “it might be instant or it might be a few seconds before the GPS goes non-red” delay.

It probably doesn’t matter, I’m just a bit anal about this due to getting crazy pace records and my distance out of step on my previous watch if I set off before it got a proper lock...whereas Apple Watch doesn’t seem to....BUT...

I’ve noticed on the “just a map”, if you force touch and go to settings you get the option to keep GPS active for 5 mins / 15 mins etc.

...is it somehow possible to include this functionality into the activity selection screen, so that when I’m standing there, about to press “running” to start, that it grabs the lock and keeps it (for 5mins/10mins or whatever) even if my display goes off...so all I have to do is fire the app up, and then forget about it until the very second I’m about to start...???

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
A question about “getting ready to start”.

Few mins before a race start, during prerace briefing I go to the screen that has the activity selection on it (just “map” and “running” for me - would love a BIGGER button!) and GPS lock is acquired which usually takes no time or a few seconds at worst.

I keep checking this as when I press start as I get to the start line, or when gun goes if not chip timed, I want to be accurately measured from the off.

What I’ve noticed is if I let the screen time out, when I come back to it...the GPS hasn’t remained locked...so again there’s the “it might be instant or it might be a few seconds before the GPS goes non-red” delay.

It probably doesn’t matter, I’m just a bit anal about this due to getting crazy pace records and my distance out of step on my previous watch if I set off before it got a proper lock...whereas Apple Watch doesn’t seem to....BUT...

I’ve noticed on the “just a map”, if you force touch and go to settings you get the option to keep GPS active for 5 mins / 15 mins etc.

...is it somehow possible to include this functionality into the activity selection screen, so that when I’m standing there, about to press “running” to start, that it grabs the lock and keeps it (for 5mins/10mins or whatever) even if my display goes off...so all I have to do is fire the app up, and then forget about it until the very second I’m about to start...???

The next version will probably have a reworked main menu screen to allow for things like this. I expect that it will have some sort of time/distance/interval choices as well as the standard open workout option. Several people have asked for a "big button" option after choosing the workout, so that is also possible.

The app should keep the GPS on for 5 minutes by default when displaying the main menu, so as long as you look at the app every 5 minutes then it shouldn't turn it off. I guess you probably looked less frequently than that when you lost the signal. I will look into making it configurable like with Map Only mode, but probably not with any options longer than 30 minutes.

Thanks for the feedback!

gr4z

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
England
I am thinking of buying a AW4 and will principally using it for running, hiking, golf, and cycling. I have already bought the app when I tested a AW4 and it was fantastic, but for reasons I won't bore you with I returned the watch. The AW4 is now back on my radar again.

One thing that has worried me about the AW as a fitness device is the use of it when you have very sweaty hands! Is there a pre-defined way to pause/stop a workout with WorkOutdoors, can you adjust it to use the buttons for example?

My current Garmin has physical buttons so sweat does not impede ending any workout. Thanks!

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I am thinking of buying a AW4 and will principally using it for running, hiking, golf, and cycling. I have already bought the app when I tested a AW4 and it was fantastic, but for reasons I won't bore you with I returned the watch. The AW4 is now back on my radar again.

One thing that has worried me about the AW as a fitness device is the use of it when you have very sweaty hands! Is there a pre-defined way to pause/stop a workout with WorkOutdoors, can you adjust it to use the buttons for example?

My current Garmin has physical buttons so sweat does not impede ending any workout. Thanks!

The default workout app provided by Apple will pause/resume the workout if you press both side buttons at once. This also helps with ending a workout because you can easily pause and then take your time to end the workout.

WorkOutDoors offers the same functionality by default, but you can also configure the side buttons to perform whatever operation you wish from a choice of over 20 operations. These include pause/resume, end workout, new lap, music controls etc, or as a shortcut to one of the settings screens that you use particularly often.

Reactions: gr4z

FunkyMagicUK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2018

I had this concern...running sweaty or in rain and with gloves on in cold.

It’s a force touch to get to a screen to “pause/end” and it seems to work just fine even in rain and through regular running gloves etc...much better than the touch screens on some of the more “social runner” oriented Garmins.

You can also set up so pressing both the side buttons goes to this screen.

Reactions: cfc and gr4z

FunkyMagicUK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2018
Another potential feature request that popped into my head when I finished a run in the dark last night with my old man eyes and tired mind...

After force touch or double button to the info/settings/pause/end screen....the END button could be colour coded red.
PAUSE could be colour coded orange (and the subsequent RESUME button could be green).

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Another potential feature request that popped into my head when I finished a run in the dark last night with my old man eyes and tired mind...

After force touch or double button to the info/settings/pause/end screen....the END button could be colour coded red.
PAUSE could be colour coded orange (and the subsequent RESUME button could be green).

I wish I could colour code the buttons on the force-press menu but unfortunately Apple don't allow that. It's a shame because, as you say, it would help to differentiate them.

FunkyMagicUK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2018
Really!?

Oh well

Is there maybe option for changing the outline shape or widening the line width used for the X and || symbols?

They look so obvious just looking at them in the daylight, but when I’ve been running in the dark and I’m tired, and I know I have to choose something reasonably quickly, I have to really think about what I’m pressing, it just looks like four grey circles!

Maybe if there was some way of De-emphasising or shrinking the settings and info buttons as those actions are less likely to be time sensitive, that might help?

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Really!?

Oh well

Is there maybe option for changing the outline shape or widening the line width used for the X and || symbols?

They look so obvious just looking at them in the daylight, but when I’ve been running in the dark and I’m tired, and I know I have to choose something reasonably quickly, I have to really think about what I’m pressing, it just looks like four grey circles!

Maybe if there was some way of De-emphasising or shrinking the settings and info buttons as those actions are less likely to be time sensitive, that might help?

Unfortunately Apple control all that. They only allow the app to supply a set of options to display in a menu when the screen is force touched. Each option is an image (with no colour) and text. So the most I could do its to change the size of the icons within the circles but not the circles themselves.

Sorry about that. There is a lot less room for flexibility when writing a watch app than when writing an iPhone app. As a developer it can be quite frustrating!

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
Unfortunately Apple control all that. They only allow the app to supply a set of options to display in a menu when the screen is force touched. Each option is an image (with no colour) and text. So the most I could do its to change the size of the icons within the circles but not the circles themselves.

Sorry about that. There is a lot less room for flexibility when writing a watch app than when writing an iPhone app. As a developer it can be quite frustrating!

What kind of choices do Apple provide for fonts and styles? Sorry if thats a very broad question. I'm trying to work out how the Nike app looks brilliant (but goes like a cow on a bike...), but all the other apps appear to look very similar (although tend to work significantly better than NRC).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.