Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
That's really good to hear! It's always great to get that sort of feedback, so many thanks for that, and especially for taking the time to join the forum.

The next version will have min/max limits for HR, pace, cadence etc, as well as a lot of other workout-oriented features. For each limit you will be able to configure the value; how you are alerted (haptic, voice and/or screen messages); what colour to highlight fields outside the limit; and even how many consecutive values outside the limit are required to trigger it (to avoid one-off spurious values making the limit too sensitive).

It should be released in a month or so, but I keep delaying it by adding new features...
WatchStripLimits.png

furbzv1

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2014
cfc, if you are able to, would love to beta test. Ill send you an email as well.
Thanks

Reactions: cfc

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Unsure if it's just Watch OS 5 beta or not but a small annoyance having just picked it up, but having launched the app even not running an active session the watchface keeps showing the activity app shortcut at top till I go open the inbuilt app and start/stop a program to clear it.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Unsure if it's just Watch OS 5 beta or not but a small annoyance having just picked it up, but having launched the app even not running an active session the watchface keeps showing the activity app shortcut at top till I go open the inbuilt app and start/stop a program to clear it.

Do you mean that the main menu of activity types is always visible? I must admit that I haven't tried it on either watchOS 5 beta yet. Please email me at info@workoutdoors.net and I will see if I can work out what the problem is and if there is a way around it.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Do you mean that the main menu of activity types is always visible? I must admit that I haven't tried it on either watchOS 5 beta yet. Please email me at info@workoutdoors.net and I will see if I can work out what the problem is and if there is a way around it.

I meant on the watchface the activity app shortcut, I've sent an email in any case, and will have a poke around. Been wanting an activity app that could export tracks from with mapping on watch.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Not in the near future I'm afraid, but if the app takes off then I will definitely look into it.

I translated a previous app into 5 other languages but it was a lot of effort for little reward so I am a bit reluctant to repeat that. The problem isn't just translating the words but it can also be difficult to find words that fit into the limited space on the watch.

Having said that, if the app does ever become successful then I will translate it. It only sells an average of 1 copy a week in France so that is probably one of the first languages I would try.

Reactions: Fabmac

Phazer

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
Seoul, South Korea
Hi! I found out about your app through another thread that I opened a few days ago.
I'm a photographer and always travelling to remote places with no phone signal, and use my Apple Watch 3 to track my gps coordinates through the activity app.
I shoot with a Canon 5D Mark III which doesn't have built-in gps, but was wondering whether there was an app out there that creates a gps log file which I can then import into Adobe Lightroom, which could then automatically geo-tag all my photos by using the time stamp embedded in the raw files and comparing it with my position through the gps log file.
I bought your app yesterday, and will be trying this out at the weekend. Was just curious whether this is a feature that you had thought about and could tell me already whether it works or not :)

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Many thanks for buying the app. In theory it should work with Lightroom but I have never tried it. The GPX file that WorkOutDoors exports does include timestamps as well as the locations, so it should be possible for Lightroom to cross reference them with photo timestamps in order to geo-tag photos.

So it should work, but if it doesn’t then let me know and I will fix it in the next version.

Phazer

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
Seoul, South Korea
Many thanks for buying the app. In theory it should work with Lightroom but I have never tried it. The GPX file that WorkOutDoors exports does include timestamps as well as the locations, so it should be possible for Lightroom to cross reference them with photo timestamps in order to geo-tag photos.

So it should work, but if it doesn’t then let me know and I will fix it in the next version.
Many thanks, I’ll let you know. If I don’t download the maps beforehand, will it still record the coordinates? And show them on a map later using the log file? I’m going to Everest in October and won’t have any signal for a couple of weeks at least

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Many thanks, I’ll let you know. If I don’t download the maps beforehand, will it still record the coordinates? And show them on a map later using the log file? I’m going to Everest in October and won’t have any signal for a couple of weeks at least

Yes it will still record your route and allow it to be exported. It will also show a map afterwards in the iPhone app when you do have a data signal. The lack of a map shouldn’t affect anything else in the app.

If you are going somewhere without a data signal then it’s usually best to download the maps and / or GPX route files beforehand, but if you don’t then it shouldn’t be a problem, and the breadcrumbs can still help you navigate, especially if you are returning to the same starting point. Also, if you tap the GPS arrow/dot then the app displays the current lat/long, which you can plot on a paper map if you wish (or take a screenshot of when you take a photo).

Hope it goes well on Everest. That should make for some amazing photos!

Reactions: CobraPA

Phazer

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
Seoul, South Korea
Yes it will still record your route and allow it to be exported. It will also show a map afterwards in the iPhone app when you do have a data signal. The lack of a map shouldn’t affect anything else in the app.

If you are going somewhere without a data signal then it’s usually best to download the maps and / or GPX route files beforehand, but if you don’t then it shouldn’t be a problem, and the breadcrumbs can still help you navigate, especially if you are returning to the same starting point. Also, if you tap the GPS arrow/dot then the app displays the current lat/long, which you can plot on a paper map if you wish (or take a screenshot of when you take a photo).

Hope it goes well on Everest. That should make for some amazing photos!
Awesome, thanks!
Yes I’m really looking forward to it, I’m going to be spending a month in Nepal photographing and filming a documentary with a local organisation, so it should make for an amazing experience!

Reactions: CobraPA and cfc

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
@cfc One feature request for consideration. Would it be possible to share the summary for a walk completion from the phone similarly to how the native Activity app can share a walk? That is details and route overview?

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I must admit that I hadn’t thought of this until someone else asked for it recently, so it is now on my To Do list.

I tend to just take a screenshot of the summary screen in the iPhone app but I can see that a smaller screen that can be directly shared would be nicer, so I will look into it.

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
That is great news, if it can be done similar to how the 'walk' activity is shared in the native Apple App that'd be awesome. Ideally I want to be able to archive on my PC the routes walked. I guess it's not likely possible to open something on the web like Strava did but any improvement would be very cool!

Pennypacker83

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2010
Just purchased the app, looks good. I would definitely like to export all the data to an external site, such as Garmin or Nike, where I could browse through the different routes on a more detailed map view. Not sure if I can already do this?

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Thanks for buying the app. Glad you like it. There are two ways to export workouts:

a) you can export a GPX file from the WorkOutDoors iPhone app, which can then be uploaded to most systems;
b) workouts are also saved to Apple's Health Kit, from which they can be read and uploaded to various systems using third party apps such as RunGap or HealthFit.

The app allows you to configure which fields are included in exported GPX files, such as elevation, time, heart rate, cadence, and GPS accuracy. I hope this helps.

Reactions: Pennypacker83

Pennypacker83

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2010
Thanks for the quick reply. Good to know it is reasonably easy to export the data. Could it be possible to make the app sync up the data automatically to Garmin Connect like (I believe) iSmoothRun does?

Phazer

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
Seoul, South Korea
I don't know if this is a bug or intentional, but every time I start a new workout, it always resets to show the distance in miles, and I have to go into the settings to put it back into kilometres.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I haven't heard of that before. Are any of your other settings preserved, such as altitude in feet or metres?

It could be that none of your settings are being preserved, which could be an installation issue. Please try uninstalling the app, rebooting both devices and then reinstalling it.

Phazer

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
Seoul, South Korea
I haven't heard of that before. Are any of your other settings preserved, such as altitude in feet or metres?

It could be that none of your settings are being preserved, which could be an installation issue. Please try uninstalling the app, rebooting both devices and then reinstalling it.
I haven't had to change any of the other parameters so I'm not sure, I'll try.

Hrti

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2013
Any news on the upcoming release? Really looking forward to the new features :cool:

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
It's in the final stages of testing. I don't want to specify a date because I want to wait until I am happy with a beta version before releasing it. I have finally stopped adding features though!

Thanks for asking!

Reactions: Hrti
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.