Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2002
I went out a few nights back at around 2am to experiment with my camera a bit.

The sky was a bit odd that night, a lot of low clouds moving pretty quickly. I was at my girlfriend's house - the street lights in her neighborhood are orangy-white, not bright white.

Here is one of the shots I got. It's hard because it's pitch black in the viewfinder, all focusing is obviously manual.

The only thing I did in PS was nudge the black forward a little, and resize.

nighttrees2.jpg

f/4, around a 5 second shutter, ISO 400.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Mike Teezie said:

The sky was a bit odd that night, a lot of low clouds moving pretty quickly. I was at my girlfriend's house - the street lights in her neighborhood are orangy-white, not bright white.

Here is one of the shots I got. It's hard because it's pitch black in the viewfinder, all focusing is obviously manual.

nighttrees2.jpg

That looks real nice, Mike.

I'd hang that one up. ;)

NewbieNerd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2005
Chicago, IL
Yeah, it's one of those pictures you just want to keep looking at just because it's strong, simple, and a little abnormal. Definitely a good shot.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2002
Abstract said:
Why did the sky come out so orange?

Anyway, you filming Blair Witch 2 or something?

I assume because of the low cloud cover, and orange street lights. The lens is absorbing all that funky light, and with the shutter open that long some crazy stuff is liable to happen.

I'm afraid it's too late to film Blair Witch 2. ;)

I was going for a painterly approach. Trees at night remind me of some of Jackson Pollock's work:

Thanks for the nice comments guys. :)

There's some vignetting here, I hope it's not my lens - I shot that one with the L.

jsfpa

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
I shot this on the Beach in Stone Harbor, NJ at 4:30 am.

1000 iso f/16 30 sec with a Canon D60

Attachments

• IMG_3285.jpg
    IMG_3285.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 347

Tel

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2005
England
This is one of my only night shots, I took it on the way home from work, it was the day I picked up my tripod so I figured I test it out before I got home. This was not long after the London Underground terrorist attack and that guy in the shot is a security guard at the station, his partner was standing next to me at the time, he came over demanding to know what I was doing but after talking to him for a while he was OK with it, I told him I'd delete the image if it didn't meet his approval but he seemed to like it and thankfully he let me keep it. :D

Now if only I could find a way out of working lates, I'd be able to get some more night shots. :eek:

Attachments

• train0ov.jpg
    train0ov.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 510

iSaint

macrumors 603
Mike Teezie said:

nighttrees2.jpg

Love that shot! I have an odd dream every so often that it's real bright late at night, and I'm confused if it's nighttime or not. This reminds me of that dream! Very bright moonlit nights do it, too. I would love to see some pics taken of a full moon lit evening.

Poeben

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
Tel's train picture reminded me of this one I took a few years ago. I was at a friends apartment one night and the RR-crossing bells were going off for about 20 minutes straight. Wondering what was happening, we wandered down to the crossing (which, by the way goes across the only driveway to the apartments.) The train was just sitting there 1/4 mile away, but we waited and I snapped this pic as it went by.

Attachments

• trainpass6x4.jpg
    trainpass6x4.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 222
Tel said:
This is one of my only night shots, I took it on the way home from work, it was the day I picked up my tripod so I figured I test it out before I got home. This was not long after the London Underground terrorist attack and that guy in the shot is a security guard at the station, his partner was standing next to me at the time, he came over demanding to know what I was doing but after talking to him for a while he was OK with it, I told him I'd delete the image if it didn't meet his approval but he seemed to like it and thankfully he let me keep it. :D

Now if only I could find a way out of working lates, I'd be able to get some more night shots. :eek:

Do you have a full resoluton version?

If so, please post it.

Same to the OP with the orange sky + tree photo :) .

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
I wish I had my photos here, I have a few good night shots from around campus. I'll try to post a few when my PowerBook comes back from Apple...

edit:
Here's a picture from my collection I thought was nice... It probably fits an "Industrial" theme a bit more than night, but it works.

IMG_1971.jpg

This one was taken with my dad's Digital Rebel (I'm not sure what model exactly.) It's taken at night, but it's well illuminated with the lighting at the Texas Capitol. I'll need to dig deeper to find some other night shots.

IMG_8044.jpg

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
This shot was taken in San Diego some time ago. I was out wandering around, and thought it'd make a nice shot.

reflections.jpg

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Photos taken without a tripod or anything since it was sort of a spontaneous thing, and so I know they're sort of blurry (or at least one of them is very noticeable). Anyway...

Attachments

• IMG_1854.jpg
    IMG_1854.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_1867.jpg
    IMG_1867.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 172

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
I posted these pix on the Landmarks thread in the picture gallery a few weeks ago. I've only been taking photos with anything approaching a half decent camera for the last couple of years, and would be interested in peoples' views. I do like night photography, it's always been something I've wanted to do, but had previously always been beyond me. Now I have a better idea of what to do, and a camera capable of longer exposures. :)

Port Talbot Steelworks, in South Wales
Charing Cross Station and Hungerford Bridge, London
London Eye, Shell Centre and City Hall, London

Comments would really be welcome...

Attachments

• PortTalbot.jpg
    PortTalbot.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 239
  • CharingX.jpg
    CharingX.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 222
  • EYE.jpg
    EYE.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 249

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
Nothing too exciting, I was on my way to Aylesbury (25mins) and was a little bored to had a go at taking some pics along the way, i was a passenger by the way :rolleyes:

behind_you_sm.jpg

Camera pointing at the mirror, being followed by a BMW i think...

pizza_sm.jpg

Reminds me of good old Tron :cool:

power_sm.jpg

Came out kinda funky, the trees having lots of blur and the pylon being fairly sharp

xmas_lights_sm.jpg

I think they were christmas lights, certainly enough colours

bigger pics can be found here - http://www.beigematchbox.co.uk/site/mainsite/Other%20Stuff/D86505F3-B324-48DC-AB15-BD7C99842D45.html

All the pics were taken without a tripod (kinda hard in a moving car) with various settings, all came out a little dark as i couldn't keep the shutter open long enough and still get away without too much blur :)

Preacher85

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2004
Vermillion, SD
I can't remember what my settings were for this pic, but it turned out really nice. Especially for the camera I used. Canon PowerShot SD400 Digital Elph.

This was a sunset as seen from Memorial Park in Rapid City, SD in July 2005.

Attachments

• RapidCitySunset.JPG
    RapidCitySunset.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 197
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.