Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zenith

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2001
Norway
Two night images I shot last year with snow, resulting in more reflected light. The first one has artificial lightning coming from street lights, and the second one is lit with bright moonlight only.

nattskog.jpg

nattfjell.jpg

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The several guys who have just posted have all posted at least one beautiful shot, but Zenith's 2nd shot (above) is absolutely stunning.

I can't believe the moon was that bright. What settings did you use?

Zenith

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2001
Norway
I used ISO 400, and 13 sec exposure at f/5. The original RAW file is actually a bit underexposed, so I could've done a longer exposure. But the clouds were moving so fast, and I didn't want them all over my picture.

Here's another shot from a different angle at the same spot and time. You can see that the clouds are moving fast, all right. This one is a 20 sec exposure.

nattfjell2.jpg

L

Lau

Marky_Mark said:

That one of the steelworks is great, really atmospheric. It reminds me a bit of Grangemouth oil refinery near Edinburgh. I drove past it a few times but never had a camera. One day.....:D

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
I love all these photos...

Whilst I don't think this are in the same league - it is a nice(ish) quick night shot clicked fairly quickly on a cruise last year in the Caribbean.

The jetty is leaving Costa Rica.

Attachments

• IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0283.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 118

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
DJY said:
I love all these photos...

Whilst I don't think this are in the same league - it is a nice(ish) quick night shot clicked fairly quickly on a cruise last year in the Caribbean.

The jetty is leaving Costa Rica.

Don't put yourself down - this is a great shot.

I would frame this, but would prob crop off some of the sea at the bottom to make it a letterbox shape - this would emphasise the long jetty and also bring it forward in the frame to become more of the focal point - perhaps like this? :)

Now what you have is a seriously commercial quality photograph. You ought to approach the tourist board of the location and ask them if they wish to buy the picture from you - easily worth $300 for rights to use in perpetuity...

Attachments

• IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0283.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 112

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
Ok, though I'd throw a few shots in here! Nothing too stunning, but.... agh, I feel like posting. :)
Taken in a moving car, mind you! ;)

Attachments

• 000_0439.jpg
    000_0439.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 000_0428.jpg
    000_0428.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 000_0433.jpg
    000_0433.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 91

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
Zenith said:
Two night images I shot last year with snow, resulting in more reflected light. The first one has artificial lightning coming from street lights, and the second one is lit with bright moonlight only.

nattskog.jpg

nattfjell.jpg
Amazingly, incredibly stunning. They are both amazing.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Extremely excellent photos, everyone! I really have to learn how to use my dSLR more... while we are on the topic, does anyone have any decent online tutorials? I never mess around with my ISO settings, so I am definitely looking to change my photos a bit. Thanks! :)

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
Marky_Mark said:
I would frame this, but would prob crop off some of the sea at the bottom to make it a letterbox shape - this would emphasise the long jetty and also bring it forward in the frame to become more of the focal point - perhaps like this? :)

Now what you have is a seriously commercial quality photograph. You ought to approach the tourist board of the location and ask them if they wish to buy the picture from you - easily worth $300 for rights to use in perpetuity...

Thanks mate!
I had thought of cropping it - eventually for the header of my website when I get time to play with iWeb. Must get around to that one day soon!

Mmmm as for Costa Rican Tourist Board... mmmm I wish!
I'g guess there are hundreds of thousands of people who have taken that shot as well - but it was a nice thought there for a bit!

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
DJY said:
Mmmm as for Costa Rican Tourist Board... mmmm I wish!
I'g guess there are hundreds of thousands of people who have taken that shot as well - but it was a nice thought there for a bit!

Do it anyway - nothing ventured, nothing gained. :)

EMKoper

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
Orlando, FL
Just some random shots with my Cannon S60 ...

Hong Kong from Victoria Peak... Paris from the Eiffel tower (to the South West, I think)... White Swan Hotel lobby, Guangzhou, China (Christmas '04)...

Attachments

• EK_HongKong.jpg
    EK_HongKong.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 143
  • EK_Paris.jpg
    EK_Paris.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 152
  • EK_WhiteSwanHotel.jpg
    EK_WhiteSwanHotel.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 116

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Hey, those photos all you've posted are really nice. So nice that I looked through my library to find some night photos to put here. I realized that I have very few of them. This one is pretty good in my opinion, but what do you think?

IMG_0571.jpg

BTW I shot this with my Canon Powershot Pro1

Shutter - 1/5 sec
Aperture - f3.2
Focal Length - 14mm
ISO - 50 or 100, dont remember and Aperture doesnt want to show that in photo's metadata

EMKoper

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
Orlando, FL
DCapple said:
i like the photos...do you need a night camera for that? :confused:
Not sure if you are asking me...if not, just ignore this post.

I just used long exposure on my S60 and took lots of shots with various exposure/aperture settings until I got ones that looked good. Lots of trial and error in my case...I probably took 50 photos at the Hong Kong (0.8 sec exposures) location and 25 or so in Paris (0.6 sec exposures)--no tripod, rested the camera on a fence or rail. I broke down and got a small tripod (was really cheap on mainland China) which increased my success rate in Guangzhou (1-2 sec exposures). I think I was using ISO 100 for all.

It was on this site that someone posted some long exposures of flowing water... so I was going for that effect on the waterfall....

Attachments

• IMG_1837.jpg
    IMG_1837.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 119

DCapple

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
BTW I shot this with my Canon Powershot Pro1

Shutter - 1/5 sec
Aperture - f3.2
Focal Length - 14mm
ISO - 50 or 100, dont remember and Aperture doesnt want to show that in photo's metadata

seeing this datas makes me realize that i dont need a certain camera for night shots (no one answers my question...:confused: ). Anyway thats a nice shot eXan....:)

Zenith

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2001
Norway
DCapple said:
seeing this datas makes me realize that i dont need a certain camera for night shots (no one answers my question...:confused: ). Anyway thats a nice shot eXan....:)

That's true, DCapple. Any recent digital camera can do long exposures which is what this is all about. There's no need for extra gear, all you have to do is use different settings and a tripod. :)

Linkjeniero

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
Here are some pics I took in a recent trip to Europe. All were taken with a Nikon D50 and the standard 18-55 Nikkor lens.

berlin.jpg berlin2.jpg budapest.jpg monaco.jpg montecarlo.jpg

DCapple

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
Zenith said:
That's true, DCapple. Any recent digital camera can do long exposures which is what this is all about. There's no need for extra gear, all you have to do is use different settings and a tripod. :)

thanks for that info....:)

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Thank you guys for liking my pic :D

This photo was taken from my balcony in the enening (between 9 and 10 pm) on April 30, 2005. The weather was pretty wet, it was going to rain, nothing special. But accidently I looked out of the window and saw this:
IMG_0571.jpg
:) . By the way, I had taked two shots: the one above and another one (with city taking more space). It's not as good as this, but if you want I can post it here

Zenith said:
There's no need for extra gear, all you have to do is use different settings and a tripod. :)

Oh you dont even need a tripod for some situations. You can use whatever you see around as a "tripod", like I used my balcony's rail in this case :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.