Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kyriakosss4

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2021
Lol why should I need to use an app instead of pressing a button twice? My 2011 android had this Button in the camera app. Why would I need to pay third party app for this or for switching between cams? Again, Apple aims for simplicity, isn't that their motto?
BTW,
Your comment has really nothing to offer, whereas mine shows some incoveniencies that I face as a customer that owns apple latest flagship.

Kyriakosss4

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2021
1. How is stopping a video recording and then starting a new one not really thee same as pausing when recording a video ? Just use iMovie or something else to attach the video together. Switching cameras would be nice to have with the default video recorder but there are 3rd party apps that do this.

2. Who uses the phone part of a smartphone...lol. Seriously this is no big deal. Just use the delete key to change the number. You are making this way too hard.
Let me share some examples you might not have thought of. I can't easily add any prefix for example, when I am travelling.
I need to manually edit the contact, then call it. Not convenient.
Another example, when I mistype a number in the middle, I need to erase most of it and retype it. Again, not very convenient. It would be nice to move the cursor straight to the number that needs correcting

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Here are some screen orientation wishes I remembered:
- landscape orientation Home Screen and Lock Screen (I think some iPhones have them, but not mine)
- landscape orientation lock
- when in orientation lock, able to manually rotate with a double tap on back or side of phone
- this is an app thing, not iOS thing, but I wish Apple could somehow force all video apps to allow playing videos while in portrait orientation (not talking about vertical videos). Eg. It’s sometimes really frustrating that Netflix only plays videos in landscape, especially when their UI is only portrait!!

Note- these are mostly annoyances that come up when I’m using my phone docked/on a stand, or when I’m lying down.

• Love
Reactions: Jeven Stobs

Jeven Stobs

Suspended
Apr 8, 2022
Just scrap new features and give me an OS that performs like iOS 12 did. How I miss those days, life was so simple back then.

Jeven Stobs

Suspended
Apr 8, 2022
Gotcha. I’m interested to hear any other suggestions you have.

I’m both surprised and not surprised it’s been about 5 hours and no one else has posted yet. I’m not surprised because iOS is pretty mature and solid feature-wise. I am surprised because there’s usually no shortage of complaints in Macrumors.
I have a list of over 200 entries of features and simple improvements, but I’d be happy with performance improvements and bug fixes like we got with iOS 12.

Reactions: JM

Kyriakosss4

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2021
I have a list of over 200 entries of features and simple improvements, but I’d be happy with performance improvements and bug fixes like we got with iOS 12.
That's the problem. people stop asking for features and they start asking for fixes for bugs that should not be supposed to be there at the first place.

Jeven Stobs

Suspended
Apr 8, 2022
That's the problem. people stop asking for features and they start asking for fixes for bugs that should not be supposed to be there at the first place.
And because they don’t really listen to the people that do ask about features and don’t encounter the problems others do, they don’t add anything anyone really wants nor fix problems but add features they themselves would like to have the way they’d like to have them.

Kyriakosss4

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2021
And because they don’t really listen to the people that do ask about features and don’t encounter the problems others do, they don’t add anything anyone really wants nor fix problems but add features they themselves would like to have the way they’d like to have them.
Hah maybe.. But what I'm trying to day is given the size of apple as a company, bugs shouldnt be there in the first place. What the heck

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have a list. Before iOS 9.1, it was fairly easy to achieve that list with jailbreaking. After iOS 9.1, the method of jailbreaking changed requiring your attention every X days or so. One of the reasons my old 6s+ stayed on 9.0.1 until December 2020. Jailbreaking has also lost a lot of it's better tweaks over the years.

Apple has its vision of how iOS is supposed to work and it's different than mine.

So between the stuff Apple will never do or allow and the current state of jailbreaking I'm forced to wait.

One change in iOS that would be nice is real albums in the camera roll. Moving pictures into the albums you create, not just making albums 'pointers' or shortcuts to photos in the roll. But that's one of those things Apple resolutely refuses to change.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
I would like the choice to have a chosen Focus mode to return after another temporary Focus mode has expired. More precisely, if I interrupt a Focus mode with another Focus mode for an hour, I would like the former Focus mode to return automatically when that hour has passed.

Reactions: NoBoMac

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Whenever I turn on my Beats Flex (I believe Airpods are the same) a pop up window that shows the battery level of the headphones appears for a few seconds on all my Apple devices’ screens. I REALLY wish that window also had a “connect” button! I always have to go a couple levels into Control Center to connect them to the device I want to use them with, which seems so unnecessary when a button in that pop up window would instantly take care of that.

Edit- it would also be nice if the pop up window indicated if the headphones are already connected with that device. So instead of a “connect” button, it would just say “connected”. It would just be easier to see than looking for the tiny icon in the top corner of the screen with all the other tiny icons.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I would like the choice to have a chosen Focus mode to return after another temporary Focus mode has expired. More precisely, if I interrupt a Focus mode with another Focus mode for an hour, I would like the former Focus mode to return automatically when that hour has passed.

This, and more.

In my case, I have the scenario of Focus on for at the theater/concert which overlaps with bed time Focus: keep concert Focus in place and then have bed time trigger after. Messed with Focus triggered Automations and creating a stack of Foci, just could never really get it to work smoothly.

Similar lines, I want a Focus to turn on for not just a location, but only on certain days/times vs current one or other. Can do it via a Focus that is dedicated for that location only, but in my case, need to have code to handle the day/time specifics (I might be in this same area on different days but don't want a Focus on these other times).

What would help would be to have more info available via Shortcuts: what is current Focus, what location or time triggered it to start.

Reactions: AlixSPQR

MarioPhone96

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2017
New York
I just wish Apple would give us a QoL update while also focusing on battery life and stability. Just refine the OS. At this point I’m seeing annoying bugs in iOS 15 that still have not been fixed (storage calculation bug, intermittent touch issues, sudden lags/stutters, mail not loading emails or taking forever to fetch them, can’t use 3D Touch/Haptic Touch after opening a folder) and it’s starting to really annoy me. It’s one thing to see bugs the first month or two into a new OS but it’s been about seven months since iOS 15’s release and it still doesn’t seem stable. And iOS 16 is coming with more features to bloat and bug up the system? Sorry for the rant, but does anyone else agree? Just feels like each OS is barely stable before the next big one comes out.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I’ve only read one page of this thread and I’m already depressed.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Just feels like each OS is barely stable before the next big one comes out.

Cynically speaking- that’s exactly how Apple wants it — keep iOS rough enough that users become desperate for a fix - so they update and update and update forever, like a drug addict hoping the next fix will cure them.

If a person wants to be frustrated with their life, keep hoping and expecting iOS to be bug free. If you want to be happy, just accept it for the crappy software that it is and move on to more interesting things in life.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I would like some kind of automatic backup of the files I keep on my iPad, much like time machine on the Mac.

I have things that I will never put in iCloud.
That’s why I back up my iPad to iTunes instead of iCloud. With Time Machine always running on my Mac, if I need an older version of something from my iPad, I can make a current backup, restore the iPad to an older backup, retrieve what I need, then restore the iPad back to the current backup. It’s definitely only a workaround, but it has saved me a couple times. I don’t want all my data in the cloud either.
Also the iPad backs up to iTunes automatically when I plug it in which I have to do to charge anyway so it’s not a hassle.

twdawson

macrumors 6502a
That’s why I back up my iPad to iTunes instead of iCloud. With Time Machine always running on my Mac, if I need an older version of something from my iPad, I can make a current backup, restore the iPad to an older backup, retrieve what I need, then restore the iPad back to the current backup. It’s definitely only a workaround, but it has saved me a couple times. I don’t want all my data in the cloud either.
Also the iPad backs up to iTunes automatically when I plug it in which I have to do to charge anyway so it’s not a hassle.
I would do it that way but I only have 128gig of hard drive on my MacBook, plus I want to go MacBook free and only have my iPad and iPhone in the future.

Reactions: subjonas

No5tromo

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2012
  • Universal notifications behavior, when I open a notification on one device I want it to disappear from all devices.
  • Improved widgets, make them more interactive, more feature rich and bring single tile widgets too (like the native clock app has one)
  • Make the 3D touch (haptic touch now I guess?) a true right-click kind of options gesture. This feature has been neglected way too much.
  • Generally I want to be able to do stuff without necessarily opening an app. It is totally feasible, it was perfectly implement way back in iOS6 and it would make the user experience 10 times better
  • Native blank-space multi-size widget for home screen customization.
  • Unchain NFC
  • Bring battery percentage on home screen back
  • Enhance and improve on the reachability feature
I'll stop now as I could go on for a while, but if the implement half of these I'll be happy. I don't see them implementing any of these though.

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
My requests are pretty basic

• A freaking DELETE ALL button to delete iMessage attachments (photos / videos) more easily
  • FaceID / TouchID Lock for any App with a toggle - don't rely on 3rd parties to implement it themselves, if you (Apple) cannot provide it for your own Photo app
  • Opt-In to display Focus Status - there is a difference between "sleeping" or being "at work"
  • Custom Backgrounds for iMessage conversations
  • Auto-Delete for photos / videos on iMessage - I don't need every "Meme" or "Screenshot" shared with me, stored forever
  • Custom Apps on the Lockscreen - do we really need two ways to access the camera from the Lock Screen? I'd like to replace it with something else and also remove the flashlight
  • Interactive widgets - I would probably end up not using them but it is nice to have the option

Reactions: MozMan68

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
My requests are pretty basic

• A freaking DELETE ALL button to delete iMessage attachments (photos / videos) more easily
  • FaceID / TouchID Lock for any App with a toggle - don't rely on 3rd parties to implement it themselves, if you (Apple) cannot provide it for your own Photo app
  • Opt-In to display Focus Status - there is a difference between "sleeping" or being "at work"
  • Auto-Delete for photos / videos on iMessage - I don't need every "Meme" or "Screenshot" shared with me, stored forever
  • Custom Apps on the Lockscreen - do we really need two ways to access the camera from the Lock Screen? I'd like to replace it with something else and also remove the flashlight
  • Interactive widgets - I would probably end up not using them but it is nice to have the option
All good ones...

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I see your purpose and it is feasible. However, I think, it could often translate into a poor user experience. You strip out parts of a conversation (e.g. media) and it becomes confusing, pointless. IMO, the current auto-delete is a fair compromise.

You can set it for 30 days as a automatic garbage collection for all of that short-lived, in the moment media. If that seems like a problem for important stuff… Well, you should properly archive important information (e.g. create a note, contact card, bookmark). I say that being guilty myself of using email mailboxes, browser tabs, and message threads as long term storage bins — though I have made commendable progress tearing away that bad habit.

Beyond such a feature refueling the “Stop prompting me for everything!” complaint, there appears to be a technical limitation: a finite amount of space to store secure data (e.g. login)

Apple said:
Although the Secure Enclave doesn’t include storage, it has a mechanism to store information securely on attached storage separate from the NAND flash storage that’s used by the Application Processor and operating system.

With that said, I am not opposed to the option of further securing the Photos app (which I probably would not see a reason to enable)

I am not opposed to the option of disabling/removing the shortcut buttons on the Lock Screen. With widgets available (even while the device is locked), I still don’t understand what the need is beyond an argument such as “Android has it.” In other words, just unlock your device and tap the app you need, it only requires a few seconds. Not every app needs to be buried in a folder or on a subsequent Home Screen panel.

Nope! I realize plenty of people have made a mess on their device Home and Lock screens. But, sometimes, a line needs to be drawn, saving people from themselves. In other words, preferences are okay, however, some combinations should never exist.

Despite at least one actually being a current rendition, the following are disasters reminiscent of ‘90s / early 2000s Web design.

(mainly, #3 and #4 examples)

(via Quora: What are the best examples of bad website design?)

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Oh and I forgot, Siri needs to be multilingual already. Every time she tries to read me messages in English or Spanish, when Siri is set to German, I just wanna scream or laugh. Like the keyboard for instance is already smart enough to understand which language I am writing with contact XY in (without even having to switch keyboard). Siri should be just as smart.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Oh and I forgot, Siri needs to be multilingual already. Every time she tries to read me messages in English or Spanish, when Siri is set to German, I just wanna scream or laugh. Like the keyboard for instance is already smart enough to understand which language I am writing with contact XY in (without even having to switch keyboard). Siri should be just as smart.
I agree. Unfortunately, there’s not much evidence supporting Apple cares about Siri any longer. Apple occasionally promotes gimmicky and longstanding features. Although, to me, there’s little to no indication of “intelligence” improvements.

Optimistically, a person can hope Apple has forgone any significant updates of Siri to allocate resources working on a major breakthrough in their secret labs. :) But that’s probably just a pipe dream.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.