Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
The notification center is probably the worst part of the OS for me. There's so much potential, but Apple just refuses to deliver.
I feel like the UI for viewing/dismissing/organizing notifications changes with every big iOS release and I have to relearn it each time. The "summaries" in iOS 15 have mitigated a lot of that for me, but it took some getting used to, and I hope they iterate on that for next time, not change it all up again.

Reactions: George Dawes

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
I would like apps to have no access to the notification panel: I just updated an app (which is set to manual on this device) and then it started chirping at me. This is no right. I set it to behave itself quietly, and suddenly it decided my setting was wrong. This is not ok. And if updates were automatic, it would have taken me longer to figure out why it was misbehaving.

Reactions: George Dawes

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
Interactive widgets
Massively improved notifications screen
AoD
Multi window
Swearing on the swipe keyboard
New icon designs
Let me choose album on photo widget
Haptics on stock keyboard typing
Redesigned recent apps screen
New control centre design
Phone & iMessage widgets

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
Option to turn off safari page swipe and better battery life , oh and a real file system and better handing of attachments in emails and …etc etc

Reactions: LFC2020

lddhtx

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2020
APPLE PLEASE READ!!! iOS 16 needs to have these features:

- Let us put the damn icons anywhere on the Home Screen. Also would be a bonus to put any file on the Home Screen too.
- Home Screen folders should use App Library design (unlimited apps in a folder).
- In the settings app, remove the long list of every app I have installed. Instead, when I long press on an app icon on the home screen, show a new menu option called “App Settings”.
- Pressing a link shows the share sheet with option to open in Google maps, etc.
- Let us use custom icons for apps. And please redesign the app icons to match macOS.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I'd like to be able to re-order the items in setting so the ones I use are near the top and the ones I "never" use are way down. Also in each setting like to re-order those also

Ac1d 8urn

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2020
Wisconsin
- Easier way to add ringtones (seriously WHY do I still need to use a computer or tinker with garageband workarounds for something so simple?!)

- Accessibility option to set the back-swipe from either side of the screen

- Option to have my watch paired with both my phones at the same time

- 5 icon homescreen

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Require that every app has its full range of controls within its own Settings within the app.
No more having to go into iPhone Settings and try and find where each app is and in what category of Settings - to adjust it's controls.

Seriously…they basically give you a lead in to this type of option with widgets, why not apps as well?

Kyriakosss4

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2021
OK, how about Apple start to integrate simple smartphone features in 2022?
Like for example,
1) Pause and resume video recordings or the ability to switch cameras while recording?
2) the ability to edit a number before calling? Or at least use a third-party caller app?
Oh man, I really don't care about camera or screen quality on my 13 pro max when basic functionality is missing.?‍♂️

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
1) Pause and resume video recordings or the ability to switch cameras while recording?
Reasonable requests, I think.
2) the ability to edit a number before calling? Or at least use a third-party caller app?
How so? In what situation? Sincere questions as I have not encountered such a scenario nor can think of one.

In the current iteration, you can long tap/hold a string of numbers to bring up the context menu, which allows you to copy the numbers (including if it is a phone number). Then you can paste it into a third-party app or the keypad tab of Apple’s Phone app. Indeed, a bit tedious. But again, are there several possible or possibly common scenarios that would benefit?

Kyriakosss4

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2021
Reasonable requests, I think.

How so? In what situation? Sincere questions as I have not encountered such a scenario nor can think of one.

In the current iteration, you can long tap/hold a string of numbers to bring up the context menu, which allows you to copy the numbers (including if it is a phone number). Then you can paste it into a third-party app or the keypad tab of Apple’s Phone app. Indeed, a bit tedious. But again, are there several possible or possibly common scenarios that would benefit?
Well, I can't easily add any prefix for example, when I am travelling.
I need to manually edit the contact, then call it. Not convenient.
Another example, when I mistype a number in the middle, I need to erase most of it and retype it. Again, not very convenient. It would be nice to move the cursor straight to the number that needs correcting

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Contacts
  • Ability to manage Groups!

Yes. This is the single thing I want the most. I have just returned to iPhone after 4 years on Android, my last iPhone having been a 7. For the most part I’m very pleased with my decision but I find it inexcusable that Apple doesn’t allow us to manage contact groups.

It has dual SIM support and they created the Focus feature to allow us to easily go into different modes to set up profiles for work, play, sleep etc. But they don’t allow us to set up contact groups. Having a single list is so archaic it isn’t even something I thought to check before coming back to iPhone.

I have 450 contacts most of which are for work. In holiday mode I’d like to hide my work contacts.

WarmWinterHat

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2015
I just want one thing and one thing only, to be able to block "unknown, and "restricted caller id" calls, without having to silence all unknown calls.

Not mute them, not send them to voicemail; completely block them.

• Love
Reactions: JM

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Require that every app has its full range of controls within its own Settings within the app.
They should add that to the control center: a gear widget that expands the prefs pane for the foreground app, which may be just the Settings pane or that under additional app controls on top.

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
They should add that to the control center: a gear widget that expands the prefs pane for the foreground app, which may be just the Settings pane or that under additional app controls on top.
Nope. That's just adding an additional step. Opening another window to access the app that's already open.

Open any app. There's a Setting icon - a gear, or the pancakes / hamburger, or whatever - in a corner. Click on that and every setting applicable to that app is there. Connectivity, Notifications, Sounds, Focus, Privacy, Siri, etc. The lot. No more fishing around in iOS settings not only for the app, but every setting applicable for it.

We expect an app we install in MacOS to have a fully-featured Settings / Preferences pane. As the OSs are becoming increasingly linked / similar, why should we expect less of iOS?

Last edited:

keith.smedley.aus

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2022
In the current collections of apps (eg finance collection, health collection) when I open the collection I’d like the collection to open in (close to) full screen mode rather than a 3x3 group of apps with a title above and outside the collection. The resulting screen would look very similar to a Home Screen.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
(edit- this post was in response to a post that was merged with this thread)

That’s it?? :D

I don’t have a ton of complaints about iOS, but a few more:
- I want to be able to snooze notifications (especially from the Reminders and Calendar app) for 15 min. At least for the Reminders app, they took that option away several years ago for some reason, leaving one hour as the minimum time for snooze, which is usually too long for me.
- I want to be able to disable all internet access for individual apps. You can disable cellular data now but not wifi for some reason.
- Better autocorrect (it used to be good, but got way worse in recent years)
- This is more of an ecosystem thing, but I want Files app (and Finder) to have a selective folder sync function—automatic when on same network, manual with ad hoc connection.
- Another ecosystem thing—I want to be able to hand off videos from one device to another, whether streaming or offline.

There might be more, but that’s all I can think of right now.
iOS is pretty good.

Edit-
Thought of another one. I’d really like banner notifications to not be tappable for the first 0.5 second (but maybe still able to swipe it up and away immediately). Too many times I’ve been in an app and tried to tap something near the top and the banner pops in at the exact same moment and I end up tapping it instead and I’m taken to the notification’s app. Really annoying.

Edit edit-
This one is probably pretty niche, but if I have a second iPhone that isn’t used as a phone, I’d like to be able to put it into iPod Touch mode. Right now a secondary iPhone can’t do some Continuity functions (no outgoing calls/SMS, Handoff usually doesn’t work, etc.) since it thinks it’s a phone. An iPod Touch, however, can do all Continuity functions, so I’d like it to have an iPod mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andeddu

keith.smedley.aus

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2022
That’s it?? :D

I don’t have a ton of complaints about iOS, but a few more:
- I want to be able to snooze notifications (especially from the Reminders and Calendar app) for 15 min. At least for the Reminders app, they took that option away several years ago for some reason, leaving one hour as the minimum time for snooze, which is usually too long for me.
- I want to be able to disable all internet access for individual apps. You can disable cellular data now but not wifi for some reason.
- Better autocorrect (it used to be good, but got way worse in recent years)
- This is more of an ecosystem thing, but I want Files app (and Finder) to have a selective folder sync function—automatic when on same network, manual with ad hoc connection.
- Another ecosystem thing—I want to be able to hand off videos from one device to another, whether streaming or offline.

There might be more, but that’s all I can think of right now.
iOS is pretty good.

Edit-
Thought of another one. I’d really like banner notifications to not be tappable for the first 0.5 second (but maybe still able to swipe it up and away immediately). Too many times I’ve been in an app and tried to tap something near the top and the banner pops in at the exact same moment and I end up tapping it instead and I’m taken to the notification’s app. Really annoying.

Edit edit-
This one is probably pretty niche, but if I have a second iPhone that isn’t used as a phone, I’d like to be able to put it into iPod Touch mode. Right now a secondary iPhone can’t do some Continuity functions (no outgoing calls/SMS, Handoff usually doesn’t work, etc.) since it thinks it’s a phone. An iPod Touch, however, can do all Continuity functions, so I’d like it to have an iPod mode.
That’s it? Nah… just wanted to start creating a list of suggestions.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
That’s it? Nah… just wanted to start creating a list of suggestions.
Gotcha. I’m interested to hear any other suggestions you have.

I’m both surprised and not surprised it’s been about 5 hours and no one else has posted yet. I’m not surprised because iOS is pretty mature and solid feature-wise. I am surprised because there’s usually no shortage of complaints in Macrumors.

keith.smedley.aus

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2022
Gotcha. I’m interested to hear any other suggestions you have.

I’m both surprised and not surprised it’s been about 5 hours and no one else has posted yet. I’m not surprised because iOS is pretty mature and solid feature-wise. I am surprised because there’s usually no shortage of complaints in Macrumors.
Ok, here’s a few more, but they’re really variations of another ideas.

Always on,
but the display is only visible when the iPhone is tapped, knocked, bumped or shaken.

Icon positioning and size
Icons can be “locked“ into fixed positions, that is icons don’t just mindlessly position themselves to the right of another icon. Icons can be increased in size (probably only useful for the clock app).

Reactions: subjonas

Kyriakosss4

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2021
Like for example,
Oh man, I really don't care about camera or screen quality on my 13 pro max when basic functionality is missing.?‍♂️

Jason2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2019
Planet Earth
Like for example,
1. How is stopping a video recording and then starting a new one not really thee same as pausing when recording a video ? Just use iMovie or something else to attach the video together. Switching cameras would be nice to have with the default video recorder but there are 3rd party apps that do this.

2. Who uses the phone part of a smartphone...lol. Seriously this is no big deal. Just use the delete key to change the number. You are making this way too hard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.