Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
This is why choice is good

For some it can replace their laptop but for others it can’t. MacBooks are still around for a reason

My 12.9 has replaced my laptop but my work flow will be different for others

This.

Too many people lazily rely on the opinion of others instead of using their brains and figuring out what is best for them.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I find these posts so confusing. This is like me complaining that Intel’s pricing of the i9-7900X is obscene. I just need to use Microsoft Word! Why is this processor $1000?

Do you need the 6-core performance of the new iPad Pro? Do you need the new pencil support?

If the price is too much, you don’t need the power. I can do one job with the pencil and have the payment mostly covered. Full photoshop coming and utilizing the 6-cores made the price definitely worth it.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
If the price is too much, you don’t need the power. I can do one job with the pencil and have the payment mostly covered. Full photoshop coming and utilizing the 6-cores made the price definitely worth it.

I keep wondering why all these people who want a new iPad to replace their old Air or Gen 4 keep looking at the iPad Pros and screaming about the price.

I'm a professional user. I need a pretty well equipped laptop so when the 2016 MBP refresh came out, I immediately ponied up for max specs. It has been worth every penny.

I needed to upgrade my iPad this year. It's not something I use that much. I actually need it for meetings and casual demos when I meet with potential clients and don't want the formality of a laptop to kill the air between us. I looked at the iPad Pros and choked on the prices and then paid an amazingly good price for the regular iPad. I can't believe how much iPad you get for less than $400 now. With a Verizon deal, I got a new 32GB Wifi + Cellular for $369 (all future costs accounted for after a discount).

It's all I needed even though I need the max in other areas. I don't need a maxed iPad. The entry level was just fine and a lot of device for my money!

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Give me the same screen, storage, with the guts of an iPad Air 2 for $6-700 and I’d be happy. But it’s dumb that I can’t have their best media consumption device without MacBook beating hardware.

I hear you. I have the 2nd gen. 12.9" and love it. I would love to have the reduced bezels and Face ID but I seriously do not need the processing power of this year's A-series chip. I mean, I write. And I code. I just like having the bigger screen for those tasks but Apple doesn't give me that option.

I just finished setting up a 2018 9.7" iPad for a family member and the device is really quite nice. (It's been awhile since I used that size.) I sort of wish Apple let us build to order iPads. I'd get a bigger screen and last year's CPU every time. Heck, I don't even want USB-C even though I know it's awesome because I don't want to update all my connectors and cables this year.

For operational tasks, it isn't there yet. For creative, art, video, photography, or executive level work - it's great.

I'm pretty unhappy with the pricing this year, but I do agree with you that despite the iPad having limitations there is definitely a subset of work on which it can really do the job nicely. I spend a good chunk of time writing and coding and it works really well.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I'm pretty unhappy with the pricing this year, but I do agree with you that despite the iPad having limitations there is definitely a subset of work on which it can really do the job nicely. I spend a good chunk of time writing and coding and it works really well.

If you don't mind me asking what is your setup when it comes to coding? Unfortunately I rarely have time to code at work anymore, but still I wish I was able to access the code during meetings on the iPad. Sometimes it helps.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
If you don't mind me asking what is your setup when it comes to coding? Unfortunately I rarely have time to code at work anymore, but still I wish I was able to access the code during meetings on the iPad. Sometimes it helps.

What I did was force myself to learn vim. Nearly all of my stuff is web development of some sort and runs on a Linux server (usually Debian). Vim is available on just about every platform so by learning it I can code "anywhere."

What I do is use Panic's Prompt app to SSH into a production or development server and code there (remotely). I use git to checkout and commit my work and (GNU) screen to keep my sessions going when iOS inevitably quits Prompt while I'm researching something in another app. GNU screen is also nice because I can divide my window up, have multiple tabs, etc. so I can really get a lot of things going on the server and switch between client devices (laptop, iPad, etc.) while preserving my work station (so to speak).

e: I should add that I've tried Coda and Textastic, etc. but in the end found that just coding remotely with vim to be an easier environment since I didn't have to worry about uploading files after making changes. With vim the file is already on the server and I can just :w to save it, then test the results.

Reactions: jeremiah256

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
What I did was force myself to learn vim. Nearly all of my stuff is web development of some sort and runs on a Linux server (usually Debian). Vim is available on just about every platform so by learning it I can code "anywhere."

What I do is use Panic's Prompt app to SSH into a production or development server and code there (remotely). I use git to checkout and commit my work and (GNU) screen to keep my sessions going when iOS inevitably quits Prompt while I'm researching something in another app. GNU screen is also nice because I can divide my window up, have multiple tabs, etc. so I can really get a lot of things going on the server and switch between client devices (laptop, iPad, etc.) while preserving my work station (so to speak).

e: I should add that I've tried Coda and Textastic, etc. but in the end found that just coding remotely with vim to be an easier environment since I didn't have to worry about uploading files after making changes. With vim the file is already on the server and I can just :w to save it, then test the results.

Thanks for explaining! We have a web app as well, but I am mostly involved in the BE part of things - so BE java code and DB. We have no access to production severs, but we have our own local servers that we can use. I have no time to actually develop and write code as I am leading the Software team. During meetings however sometimes for me is helpful to access the code and check for things. For now I have solved this by using an app to remotely access my Windows computer at work. I had downloaded app to access git, but I can't make it work with our company bitbucket server.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
For me the only deal breaker with the regular iPad is ProMotion. It just makes too much of a difference.

I don’t need the Pro’s power. But I need ProMotion and maybe quad speakers. And I have no choice but to stay on the Pro line for that reason.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
For me the only deal breaker with the regular iPad is ProMotion. It just makes too much of a difference.

I don’t need the Pro’s power. But I need ProMotion and maybe quad speakers. And I have no choice but to stay on the Pro line for that reason.

I see your point. Yeah that's the thing with the iPad line. We have no way of choosing the configuration we want (the way we do it with desktop computers and laptops). For example I would like the Promotion stuff. The quad speakers I don't care about as I don't use the iPad as media consumption device. And even if I was, I would do it with headphones because the rare cases when I would use it I would not be alone. At home I use my laptop for watching movies.

As of now to be honest I just do simple pros/cons list. And I weigh them. Sure Promotion and quad speakers are great, but are they worth the 400 $ difference? For some yes, for others not.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I see your point. Yeah that's the thing with the iPad line. We have no way of choosing the configuration we want (the way we do it with desktop computers and laptops). For example I would like the Promotion stuff. The quad speakers I don't care about as I don't use the iPad as media consumption device. And even if I was, I would do it with headphones because the rare cases when I would use it I would not be alone. At home I use my laptop for watching movies.

As of now to be honest I just do simple pros/cons list. And I weigh them. Sure Promotion and quad speakers are great, but are they worth the 400 $ difference? For some yes, for others not.

ProMotion is worth whatever you can pay for it.

In my case if the Pro was identical to the regular iPad but with ProMotion just on the Pro, I might still choose the Pro.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
ProMotion is worth whatever you can pay for it.

In my case if the Pro was identical to the regular iPad but with ProMotion just on the Pro, I might still choose the Pro.

I think that it depends on your use case. I don't use iPad as a tablet because I don't care about tablets. I don't use it for media consumption device. My use case is very niche and narrow - use it for handwritten notes in OneNote. For that I don't see the point in paying for ProMotion. I am not saying that ProMotion is not cool. I am saying that I don't see it worh that much. 100 $ more yes. 400 $ more no. Not for me. I don't play games on the iPad, I am not into art that much and I don't use it for photos editing either. I know that Promotion helps with the Pencil latency too, but I don't notice that much latency with the regular iPad so for me I would not see it as a huge difference.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I think that it depends on your use case. I don't use iPad as a tablet because I don't care about tablets. I don't use it for media consumption device. My use case is very niche and narrow - use it for handwritten notes in OneNote. For that I don't see the point in paying for ProMotion. I am not saying that ProMotion is not cool. I am saying that I don't see it worh that much. 100 $ more yes. 400 $ more no. Not for me. I don't play games on the iPad, I am not into art that much and I don't use it for photos editing either. I know that Promotion helps with the Pencil latency too, but I don't notice that much latency with the regular iPad so for me I would not see it as a huge difference.

For me the only difference is swiping through the home screen. Opening/closing Safari etc. It’s far smoother and snappier. That’s it.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
For me the only difference is swiping through the home screen. Opening/closing Safari etc. It’s far smoother and snappier. That’s it.

Makes sense. And if iPad is your main device (meaning you use it 80 % of your time) man that would be something you will care about a lot. You know it's not just about the small things you find annoying, it's also how often you encounter those small things.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
I have both use cases in my house.
My wife is just using iPad for note taking at work, so we picked up a 9.7" iPad for her. I'm using it for photo editing and some video editing, so i picked up the 11". She put a matte screen protector on hers to get a more paper-like feel with the Pencil, but I prefer the glass feel for photo editing and using the pencil as a pointing device for video editing.

Reactions: secretk

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I have both use cases in my house.
My wife is just using iPad for note taking at work, so we picked up a 9.7" iPad for her. I'm using it for photo editing and some video editing, so i picked up the 11". She put a matte screen protector on hers to get a more paper-like feel with the Pencil, but I prefer the glass feel for photo editing and using the pencil as a pointing device for video editing.

Exactly! I have the regular 9.7 iPad because I am like your wife :). For you obviously it's different as you have different needs than her.

Reactions: tromboneaholic

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I keep wondering why all these people who want a new iPad to replace their old Air or Gen 4 keep looking at the iPad Pros and screaming about the price.
That's because the "herd mentality" dies hard.

Up until the release of the 2nd gen iPad Pros, there was only a single upgrade path for iPads. An iPad owner had only 1 choice when it came time to upgrade. With the release of the 2018 iPad, anyone with an older iPad had a decision to make... upgrade to the 2018 iPad (which had slightly more horsepower than the 1st gen 12.9 Pro) or to the larger Pros.

The "herd" wrote off the 2018 iPad as "just for kids"... 2GB RAM, non-laminated screen, no ProMotion... and obviously it couldn't be a good option because it only cost $329. (or so the thinking went)

So in their minds the upgrade path is iPad 4/Air/Air 2 -> 11" iPad Pro. This is why they're complaining about the price.

I've seen more than a few comments on the forum from people who feel "left out" because they can't afford or justify buying these new iPad Pros.

The iPad line is fragmenting and many are having to seriously consider which of the paths they're going to proceed on.

The situation is aggravated by the emotionally-charged hyperbole that distorts the perceived value of things like ProMotion, laminated screens, bezels, etc.

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
It can display photos of your breakfast while you’re in bed. :D
Haha

But then it’ll show me better breakfasts in bed and ill get depressed and if the iPad 11 cannot cure depression i shouldn’t buy it either.

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
You laugh, but there are therapists who use iPads to work with clients suffering from anxiety and depression...

So I had to add /s even though the two of us are riffing on the stupidity of expectations for the prices charged?

:rolleyes:
I was joking with that particular MR member, not about depression in general (I have minor bouts myself and drawing on the iPads has helped this). I do not doubt they are used to help treat this and other health issues.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
So I had to add /s even though the two of us are riffing on the stupidity of expectations for the prices charged?

:rolleyes:
I was joking with that particular MR member, not about depression in general (I have minor bouts myself and drawing on the iPads has helped this). I do not doubt they are used to help treat this and other health issues.
Looking at my post, I probably came across like I was being politically correct or triggered. Just thought it was somewhat related...

Mystro

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2011
Apple designed the Pro series for Profesional application. Why does everyone think they need a profesional device for mundane tasks? If you have to ask why you need a Pro series, you probably are not the demographic Apple designed the series for. I purchased 3 gen 1 IPad Pro models for my comapany when first released. After purchasing a new 12.9 IPP and using it, I will be purchasing 3 more for my company. Bottom line, if $1500.00 per unit seems steep, you probably are not using it for profesional use. I factored in what a new IPP saves my company in time, and its entry cost of $1500+ is trivial.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.