Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randomdude

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2021
I'll post more updates on FF14 tomorrow when I have more time to play with it.
Would love to see any information you can provide on FF14! I'm currently running the game on a Windows machine with a number of reasonably useful third-party add-ins (damage meters, etc. since FF14 doesn't have native add-in support like WoW does) that would likely only work with Windows virtualization, rather than any sort of Wine implementation (e.g. Crossover).

I'm in the market for a new laptop that acts as a main, daily driver for everything I do (work, gaming, etc.) and I'm a bit torn on a number of choices, one of which includes the 16" M1 Max.

Thank you!

Reactions: pudcraft

pudcraft

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Houston
Would love to see any information you can provide on FF14! I'm currently running the game on a Windows machine with a number of reasonably useful third-party add-ins (damage meters, etc. since FF14 doesn't have native add-in support like WoW does) that would likely only work with Windows virtualization, rather than any sort of Wine implementation (e.g. Crossover).

I'm in the market for a new laptop that acts as a main, daily driver for everything I do (work, gaming, etc.) and I'm a bit torn on a number of choices, one of which includes the 16" M1 Max.

Thank you!
Awesome! That is tonight's adventure :)

Reactions: randomdude

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2016
Witcher 3's performance is just horrible on my 14" Max laptop. No idea how to set Parallels up properly.
@pudcraft any guidance is appreciated.

I already set it up to "game" mode and increased the ram and cpu cores available.

Last edited:

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
My pleasure. Keep in mind that WoW is more CPU intensive instead of GPU. The stronger the CPU the better. Macpot below explained it well on the GPU side but on the CPU and RAM side, the model you run is a little more limited to the resources the game and parallels can use to boost up your FPS.

Regarding the changes you made - SSAO and Shadows are resource hogs. If you are playing on a higher resolution, there really isn't much of a need for SSAO (at least for me, it is not worth the resource use). Shadows are also FPS cripplers. I would personally kill off any AA and play with your resolution/ground clutter/max distance/shadow details a bit until you get the desirable results.

You can run the game at a lower resolution and scale it to help get more FPS out of it.

Yep, on point.

Thanks for advice.

@pudcraft: Do you have the 16 MBP M1 Pro or M1 Max?

If you are getting 100-120 FPS in Stormwind at 10/10 setting and 80s in Oribos, that means the Max is actually practically more powerful for gaming too, and not just for video editing.

m3lover1

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2015
Dunno about Parallales but Divinity:Original Sin 2 (downloaded via Steam) runs like a champ on the 14" MAX 64gb. Everything on ultra too.

Is there a difference in the steam version vs App Store version? Wondering which one to get, if they both run natively then steam version is much cheaper. Are both running natively on M1?

macpot

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2017
Is there a difference in the steam version vs App Store version? Wondering which one to get, if they both run natively then steam version is much cheaper. Are both running natively on M1?
None of those run natively...

Divinity Original Sin 2 is running using Rosetta 2,
The game that runs natively is Baldur's Gate 3, from the same developer.

Reactions: m3lover1

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2016
I already own a copy on Steam and got it set up under Parallels as there is a much greater variety. Runs at max settings without a hitch (not plugged in either!)

m3lover1

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2015

I see! Thanks!

I already own a copy on Steam and got it set up under Parallels as there is a much greater variety. Runs at max settings without a hitch (not plugged in either!)

That sounds great! I'll get it on steam then since it's cheaper.

m3lover1

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2015

And Baldur's Gate 3 buy from steam for native version?

macpot

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2017
And Baldur's Gate 3 buy from steam for native version?

Yeah, I think the GOG.com version is also ARM, before launching you'll have an option to start native:

1.jpg

But note the game is still in Early access, full game will release on 2022 and also the latest Patch 6 is apparently not native yet (coming soon), so you'll have to play the older patch.

If you are looking for other M1 native games, the App Store version of Disco Elysium is native (also the Beta Update on steam).

There are also:
World of Warcraft
Spacebase Startopia
Myst
Total War: Rome Remastered (App Store)
Eve Online Beta
Timberborn (Early Access)

Let's hope the list will grow!

m3lover1

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2015
Yeah, I think the GOG.com version is also ARM, before launching you'll have an option to start native:

View attachment 1882523
But note the game is still in Early access, full game will release on 2022 and also the latest Patch 6 is apparently not native yet (coming soon), so you'll have to play the older patch.

If you are looking for other M1 native games, the App Store version of Disco Elysium is native (also the Beta Update on steam).

There are also:
World of Warcraft
Spacebase Startopia
Myst
Total War: Rome Remastered (App Store)
Eve Online Beta
Timberborn (Early Access)

Let's hope the list will grow!

Thanks man! I realized BG3 was early access, so most likely I'll play DOS2 first and wait until that's finished. Thanks for your help!

pudcraft

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Houston
Thanks for advice.

@pudcraft: Do you have the 16 MBP M1 Pro or M1 Max?

If you are getting 100-120 FPS in Stormwind at 10/10 setting and 80s in Oribos, that means the Max is actually practically more powerful for gaming too, and not just for video editing.
I am using the MBP M1 Max with 64GB RAM. I just did some dungeons for fun and had a wonderful time doing it. Fans still didn't kick into gear and system felt like it was running cool. After doing a raid; I noticed slight warmth but nothing really worth noting.

Just finished a small session of an hour playing Rocket League. Had a friggin blast. Max settings, no problems, smooth gaming. Loving this machine.

FF14 play in the works now.

Reactions: madisonm and dev201

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
I am using the MBP M1 Max with 64GB RAM. I just did some dungeons for fun and had a wonderful time doing it. Fans still didn't kick into gear and system felt like it was running cool. After doing a raid; I noticed slight warmth but nothing really worth noting.

Just finished a small session of an hour playing Rocket League. Had a friggin blast. Max settings, no problems, smooth gaming. Loving this machine.

FF14 play in the works now.

How did you get the 64GB? It is definitely not in any store? The store only has 32GB version, and even then, it is sold out immediately.

I tested more on 16 inch M1 Pro 16GB.

There is clearly not much of a different between 7/10 and 10/10 setting (SSAO is disable and Shadow is set as low)

In Stormwind: 7/10 setting gives 120-130 FPS; 10/10 setting gives 110-120 FPS
In Bolarus: 7/10 setting gives: 90 FPS; 10/10 setting give 80-90 FPS
In Oribos: 7/10 setting gives 50-100 FPS; 10/10 setting gives 50-100 FPS
In Elysian Hold: 7/10 setting gives 25-40 FPS; 10/10 setting gives 25-40 FPS
In Bastion: 7/10 setting gives 50-100 FPS; 10/10 setting give 50-90 FPS
In Primus: 7/10 setting gives 100-120 FPS; 10/10 setting gives 80-110 FPS

Overall, Bastion is the worst. I guess M1 Max will always gives 100-120 FPS no matter where?

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
How did you get the 64GB? It is definitely not in any store? The store only has 32GB version, and even then, it is sold out immediately.
Not OP, but 16 inch 64 Ram 4 TB storage is a model carried in stores. Were plenty available in my area.

pudcraft

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Houston
Update FF14:

Struggling with this one. In the open world I can see around 30-40 FPS. In a busy city, I drop down to about 27 FPS. I do have shadows enabled for players and NPCS. When I disable these, I see a decent boost but it pains my eyes to see no shadows. I had hoped to see some better results but unfortunately this may not perform the way we hope for the more intensive gameplay.

I am downloading FF14 using Crossover at the moment to see how that goes. Had to make some slight modifications to the boot config to get past the loading screen. I have an hour for the download to complete.

Let me know what other games I should test. Hopefully I have the game already in my Library.

Reactions: randomdude

pudcraft

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Houston

I tested more on 16 inch M1 Pro 16GB.

There is clearly not much of a different between 7/10 and 10/10 setting (SSAO is disable and Shadow is set as low)

In Stormwind: 7/10 setting gives 120-130 FPS; 10/10 setting gives 110-120 FPS
In Bolarus: 7/10 setting gives: 90 FPS; 10/10 setting give 80-90 FPS
In Oribos: 7/10 setting gives 50-100 FPS; 10/10 setting gives 50-100 FPS
In Elysian Hold: 7/10 setting gives 25-40 FPS; 10/10 setting gives 25-40 FPS
In Bastion: 7/10 setting gives 50-100 FPS; 10/10 setting give 50-90 FPS
In Primus: 7/10 setting gives 100-120 FPS; 10/10 setting gives 80-110 FPS

Overall, Bastion is the worst. I guess M1 Max will always gives 100-120 FPS no matter where?
As Lobwedgephil said - All the stores in my area (Houston) had this model available. I ended up cancelling my pre-order for a 2TB with a wait time of December delivery to 4TB and spare the wait ;)

Your tests look about right but I had not tested 7/10. 10/10 I was getting a consistent 80 FPS and some dips in dungeons but nothing terribly noticeable or frustrating...yet!

Not OP, but 16 inch 64 Ram 4 TB storage is a model carried in stores. Were plenty available in my area.
Yep, plenty of them were available Tuesday morning to order via the Apple Store app for in-store pick up.

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
As Lobwedgephil said - All the stores in my area (Houston) had this model available. I ended up cancelling my pre-order for a 2TB with a wait time of December delivery to 4TB and spare the wait ;)

Your tests look about right but I had not tested 7/10. 10/10 I was getting a consistent 80 FPS and some dips in dungeons but nothing terribly noticeable or frustrating...yet!

Yep, plenty of them were available Tuesday morning to order via the Apple Store app for in-store pick up.

I see. But 64GB is probably overkilled for me. I can't think of any use for 64GB. 4TB SSD is way overkill for me too. LOL

But clearly, you M1 Max is able to get more FPS in World of Warcraft.

Reactions: miamialley

pudcraft

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Houston
That doesn't bode well. And this is at a resolution lower than 1080p as well, like you mentioned in an earlier post?
This is in Parallels. Yep, it was a fairly low resolution, however, higher resolutions only impacted frame rate marginally. I am hoping for better results in Crossover. Just a little bit longer before it's done. It is getting late so I'll do a small test and something more thorough with gameplay tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.