Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pudcraft

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Houston
Kept getting several crashes trying to load into the game after downloading. I'll need to troubleshoot it tomorrow. Not sure FF14 is worth all the effort but I also love to find ways to make things work. Hope for better results tomorrow.

madisonm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
I think I might be one of the few humans who still plays Fallout 76, but I just picked it back up. I’m pretty sad to see it listed as “Unplayable” on the list of compatible games ?

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Tested Diablo III on the 16 Inch M1 Pro 16GB

FPS is around 80-100

Even though it is clearly playable, but it feels odd and weird, I am coming from a Corsair One 1080TI with a 1440P 120Hz 32 inch wide screen monitor

priamXus

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2018
First of all, DirectX12-only games (Cyberpunk f.e.) don't run on M1 Macs at all, not even Parallels has DirectX12 support (yet, hopefully). With that out of the way:

The first and best way to play non-MacOS games is with a software called Crossover. This software "translates" windows games, so that MacOS is able to run them. The problem with this approach is, it can be very buggy. But if the game you wanna play runs correctly, the performance is much better than with Parallels.

The second way to play non-MacOS games is by virtualizing a Windows machine on Parallels. The upside is, with a little bit of tweaking, more games run correctly. The downside is, performance takes a significant hit.

Apple needs to built Vulkan into MacOS and Microsoft needs to license Windows for ARM to end users, so that Apple can built a M1 version of BootCamp. That wouldn't solve all problems, but then M1 Macs would be decent gaming machines. If none of this happens, then gaming on M1 will always be a second-class experience.
Just an update on Metal would be enough to support the vast majority of today’s games; when translating instructions there are several from DX12 that has no counterpart in Metal (Some do but not to the same extent).

There’s nothing wrong with Metal neither it’s necessary for Apple to implement Vulkan; they just need to update Metal.

Knowing this, the solution is not impossible (Neither hard or resource intensive for Apple) but, with a fragmented community when even several members of the same say « buy a console » « buy a pc » « macs are not for games » and whatever bs you can imagine, I find it hard for Apple to give us an update in WWDC 2022.

Reactions: macpot

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2016

FPS is around 80-100

Even though it is clearly playable, but it feels odd and weird, I am coming from a Corsair One 1080TI with a 1440P 120Hz 32 inch wide screen monitor
It is all about optimisation. Clearly lacking for most titles.

Reactions: m3lover1

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
Here is a video of “shadows of the tomb raider“ with the M1 Max if interested. Game is playing in the upper 30s and 40s frames per second.

Spidder

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
Witcher 3's performance is just horrible on my 14" Max laptop. No idea how to set Parallels up properly.
@pudcraft any guidance is appreciated.

I already set it up to "game" mode and increased the ram and cpu cores available.

Try Crossover, performance should be much better

Reactions: NickYanakiev

pudcraft

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Houston
How much did battery drain when you played?
On games I tested unplugged I found battery drain to be not as much as expected. I played a mixture of Rocket League, Diablo 3, and WoW unplugged starting at 79% and ended at 63% after 1.5 hours of game time.

FPS is around 80-100

I can confirm Diablo 3 provided an average of 110 FPS on a M1 Max 64GB - but you must tinker with resolution and some settings. I removed reflections, turned on V-Sync, and lowered resolution a tad. I did have some random stutters with max settings (excluding the aforementioned settings) but gameplay remained playable. It can be presumed that by lowering some video settings down a notch or lower resolution that these stutters can be avoided. This was playing on the native Battle.net on MacOS (not using Parallels).

Try Crossover, performance should be much better

I am still struggling getting FF14 to launch on Crossover but other games using Crossover can result in better performance over Parallels. Some games may or may not perform equal or greater between the two mediums (Parallels/Crossover). It is worth trying your desired game on both to determine the best path to take.

Parallels setup is fairly straight forward these days. I made sure to have GAMING mode selected, resolution set best for Retina (lowering this can result in better game play if you have poor FPS in your chosen game), and allow Parallels access to unlimited resource use so it can take advantage of all the RAM and CPU/GPU power you have.

Reactions: macpot and m3lover1

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
On games I tested unplugged I found battery drain to be not as much as expected. I played a mixture of Rocket League, Diablo 3, and WoW unplugged starting at 79% and ended at 63% after 1.5 hours of game time.

I can confirm Diablo 3 provided an average of 110 FPS on a M1 Max 64GB - but you must tinker with resolution and some settings. I removed reflections, turned on V-Sync, and lowered resolution a tad. I did have some random stutters with max settings (excluding the aforementioned settings) but gameplay remained playable. It can be presumed that by lowering some video settings down a notch or lower resolution that these stutters can be avoided. This was playing on the native Battle.net on MacOS (not using Parallels).

I am still struggling getting FF14 to launch on Crossover but other games using Crossover can result in better performance over Parallels. Some games may or may not perform equal or greater between the two mediums (Parallels/Crossover). It is worth trying your desired game on both to determine the best path to take.

Parallels setup is fairly straight forward these days. I made sure to have GAMING mode selected, resolution set best for Retina (lowering this can result in better game play if you have poor FPS in your chosen game), and allow Parallels access to unlimited resource use so it can take advantage of all the RAM and CPU/GPU power you have.
Hey in Parallels are you just using your keyboard for controls, or do you have a controller (DualSense or Xbox controller) connected? I tried playing Rocket League last night on my 14" M1 Max, but couldn't get Steam in Parallels to recognize that I had a controller connected. I'm not really a keyboard-gamer so this could be a deal-breaker for me.

pudcraft

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Houston
Hey in Parallels are you just using your keyboard for controls, or do you have a controller (DualSense or Xbox controller) connected? I tried playing Rocket League last night on my 14" M1 Max, but couldn't get Steam in Parallels to recognize that I had a controller connected. I'm not really a keyboard-gamer so this could be a deal-breaker for me.
I am not proud of my joystick/controller skills. I stick to KB&M for my gaming needs. I only use controller for games I want to play but only available on console. Wish I could be of more help here.

dev201

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2014
You need to tell Paralles to assign the controller to the Windows OS. Once you do this, it sould be smooth sailing.

pudcraft

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Houston
FF14 UPDATES (with screenshot settings):

I had some time to tinker with FF14 and Parallels. I am still unable to get the game to load in Crossover, which I feel would perform better. None the less, with some tweaking, I was able to get a boost of 10-12 FPS. Parallel's settings - I limited the VM to 40GB of RAM because I don't see the need to give it full allocation, the return of results with unlimited and limited RAM access did not make a significant difference, just for FF14.

Average FPS in busy city: 42 FPS
Average FPS in open world: 50-65 FPS
Average FPS in solo combat: 50 FPS
Average FPS in group combat: 18-32 FPS (varies dramatically)

I would ultimately state that I do not believe the game is playable at the end-game level with current optimizations. Hopefully we see better support from Parallels with the latest MBP Pro/Max models. If you are a solo player and enjoy leveling then this would probably work out just fine for you. If you are traveling and want to log in here and there and craft or farm, then this would probably work for you. If you are looking to raid, group play, or PvP then you are probably going to get frustrated with some FPS drops.

I need another game to test...any suggestions? Halo: Master Chief Collection maybe? I own all Blizzard games if it helps.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 5.04.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 5.04.32 PM.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 152
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 5.04.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 5.04.45 PM.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 128
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 5.07.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 5.07.42 PM.png
    481.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 5.07.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 5.07.50 PM.png
    515.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 5.04.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 5.04.56 PM.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 102

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
Many of mine work, but no luck with dragon age inquisition. Never even launches. Anyone had any luck?

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Apple needs to invest in a game engine to get things rolling, SceneKit is ok. The problem is you develop on SceneKit you only develop for Apple.

If Apple can continue to crush it with their GPU, we're not there yet but we're getting there, I think more developers would be inclined to use a robust apple game engine to develop first party games. Apple will have to make it so it can port to Windows, Android, and Linux, but I don't think Apple sees this as a real game changer and instead is doubling down on media production (film/music/video/photo) versus software development.

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
Apple needs to invest in a game engine to get things rolling, SceneKit is ok. The problem is you develop on SceneKit you only develop for Apple.

If Apple can continue to crush it with their GPU, we're not there yet but we're getting there, I think more developers would be inclined to use a robust apple game engine to develop first party games. Apple will have to make it so it can port to Windows, Android, and Linux, but I don't think Apple sees this as a real game changer and instead is doubling down on media production (film/music/video/photo) versus software development.
Apples idea of Mac gaming is to make it easy to port iPad games over, not windows/directx ones, and unfortunately that really limits titles. This is only the latest in a long story of abandonment...the biggest clue was when they dropped OpenGL. Metal is impressive as hell, but the economics just aren't there for that level of port for aaa title games that need highly optimized graphics.

Reactions: Admiralbison

macpot

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2017
Thank you very much guys.

If it's not too much trouble, could you kindly enable "Low-power mode" and see how it affects gaming?

If it is only 20-30% drop in FPS, could be worth it for gaming on the go!

pudcraft

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Houston

If it's not too much trouble, could you kindly enable "Low-power mode" and see how it affects gaming?

I gave this a shot on WoW. I went from an average of 80 FPS to about 60 FPS with spikes up and down depending on what was happening in-game. Not sure how much prolonged use one would gain from low-power mode trying to game or if the trade off is worth it. Either way you will see a decent gaming experience without a battery suck.

I'm home most of the day doing some house stuff. When I get around to a gaming session, I'll give it a run low-power mode and see what the battery impact is after an hour or two.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
You can't buy a legal retail arm license or official download.

uupdump.net will give you the iso, and an intel key will work...today. All bets off about Microsoft killing it later since it's a license violation.
Sadly true. I'd think they'd never disable it, but they could.

And I'd hate to present such a combination in a Microsoft software audit. That's what keeps me from running it for work.

macpot

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2017
I gave this a shot on WoW. I went from an average of 80 FPS to about 60 FPS with spikes up and down depending on what was happening in-game. Not sure how much prolonged use one would gain from low-power mode trying to game or if the trade off is worth it. Either way you will see a decent gaming experience without a battery suck.

I'm home most of the day doing some house stuff. When I get around to a gaming session, I'll give it a run low-power mode and see what the battery impact is after an hour or two.

Thank you very much for testing this ???

So it is just a ~25% drop in performance, well worth it I think.
Aside from the battery life, it could also help with the excessive heat on the 14" M1 Max I think while still keeping it much better than the M1 Pro performance.

Reactions: bobcomer

pudcraft

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Houston

Without changing to low-power mode (forgot to), I have been playing WoW unplugged, leveling my 50+ character for the past hour with some random dungeon queues; I have dropped approximately 9% battery life and no performance impact. Not bad at all.

macpot

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2017
Without changing to low-power mode (forgot to), I have been playing WoW unplugged, leveling my 50+ character for the past hour with some random dungeon queues; I have dropped approximately 9% battery life and no performance impact. Not bad at all.

9% for an hour is unbelievably good :eek:

Thank you for letting us know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.