Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

throttlemeister

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2009
Netherlands
Based on your claimed usage 32 GB will not be noticeable at all. The newer MBP have the PCI-e SSD's and processor that are way faster than you 2012 rMBP.
I hope you are not suggesting that PCI-e SSD's are as fast as memory or that swapping out to disk and pulling data back from disk doesn't hurt performance, because, well, that's just silly and wrong to boot.

If you don't need more than 16G, that's just fine and all the power to you. But please don't go around making false statements in an attempt to show people that legitimately need more should be ok with it as well.

azeteg

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2006
Which Macbook Pro would you pick, if you had the choice:

Option 1:
2016 15" Macbook Pro with Emojibar
(76.0 Wh battery)

Option 2:
2015 15" Macbook Pro with:
- Skylake CPU's from 2016 model
- GPU's from 2016 model
- Display from 2016 model
- 2x DDR4 slots
- 2x M.2 slots
(99.5 Wh battery)

I know my pick...

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2006
Just don't pick the XPS with the small battery, there's an 84Wh version.

You'll only get decent battery life for the FHD version. Even with the the bigger battery the UHD version gets about 5 hours and 2 hours under load.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-X...HD-InfinityEdge-Notebook-Review.156462.0.html

So if concerned about battery life, your only choice is bump down to a lower resolution model and that model doesn't even have a high gamut display - so not great for photo or video work if you value colour accuracy.

Workerbee Redux

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
California
So if concerned about battery life, your only choice is bump down to a lower resolution model and that model doesn't even have a high gamut display - so not great for photo or video work if you value colour accuracy.
True, but in that case the resolution is closer to Apple's than the 4K version. So if we are comparing specs, take a 84Wh XPS with FHD and see how far it is from the true runtime of a 2016 MBP.
[doublepost=1479900830][/doublepost]
All things being equal, that means that, at BEST, they could have increased the battery volume by that same 17%, AND NO MORE.
I guess that's why the 2015 MBP's had a 99,5Wh battery, which is 30% bigger than the current 76Wh. Magic, huh?

Hint: if you make the case 17% larger, the mainboard and keyboard don't also grow by 17%, you gain empty space that can be filled with battery.
[doublepost=1479901916][/doublepost]
It doesn't support 30 days of standby with 32 GB of RAM. Simple as that.
So Apple builds computers now in the hope that their customers' most important use case is not to use them for 30 days. Yeah, that's really important in our age where crossing the Atlantic means you'll be on a sail boat for a months.

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
True, but in that case the resolution is closer to Apple's than the 4K version. So if we are comparing specs, take a 84Wh XPS with FHD and see how far it is from the true runtime of a 2016 MBP.
[doublepost=1479900830][/doublepost]
I guess that's why the 2015 MBP's had a 99,5Wh battery, which is 30% bigger than the current 76Wh. Magic, huh?

Hint: if you make the case 17% larger, the mainboard and keyboard don't also grow by 17%, you gain empty space that can be filled with battery.
[doublepost=1479901916][/doublepost]
So Apple builds computers now in the hope that their customers' most important use case is not to use them for 30 days. Yeah, that's really important in our age where crossing the Atlantic means you'll be on a sail boat for a months.

:D

Made me laugh.

On the battery I think there was some inference that they actually couldn't/wouldn't make the battery bigger because carrying over 100Wh Lithium Ion batteries is prohibited for carry on baggage by the FAA.

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
They (obviously) did the math. Why can't you?

I can....

2015 15" rMBP 99,5 Wh
2016 15" rMBP 76 Wh

is nearly 25% less battery capacity...

So use the same 2015 form factor, fill it with battey cells (as rMB 2015 and 2016, rMBP 2015, iPhone, iPad) and, coupled with the more efficent skylake achitecture, you could achieve 8/9 hrs battery with 16GB DDR4, a little less with 32GB which is perfectly acceptable, and FFS who cares for 30 days stand by??

Apple did the math and chose to compromise in battery capacity for the sake of thinness.

It is entirely their choice to use LPDDR3 and not to fill all the space with battery cells, and yet, except for the non-TB 13", they failed to reach their alleged 10 hrs threshold...

Ah, and before someone starts talking about heat, battery expansion, internal airflow...Look at the other laptops or iOS devices, no free space. Apparently only the 2016 rMBP laptop has that empty space...

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Given the price premium, I'd get an external USB-C SSD for a fraction of the price - or even a spinning disk to store non-performance based stuff. Can't do external RAM...yet :).

It'd be a fraction of the speed as well though. There's only one USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 device I know of by Sandisk that can get 700MB/s, which puts it 4.5 times slower than the internal drive.

Eventually Thunderbolt 3 SSD's will arrive, but you'll be looking at big money then...especially as you'll just be paying for an external cased Samsung 960 Pro to make use of the available bandwidth. So expect $2000 for an external 2TB of those speeds.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
If you don't use your computer for over a week regularly, you are no Pro user. Or an unemployed Pro user.

Pro's - like artisans - use their tools to build and craft.

The standby issue is actually a big deal - not for 30 days worth because all computers will go into hibernate during that time and the RAM will be powered down - but in day to day use. Windows laptops have improved on this somewhat in recent years, but I still have never had a Windows laptop that is as reliable at going into its lowest power sleep mode every time. This means that I often put my Windows laptop to sleep in my bag, spend 18-24 hours traveling internationally, and when I go to use it for work upon arrival, it's often depleted 40-50% of the battery on me. So my laptop that has '8 hours' of battery life is now down to 4 when I need it. Apple has long been much more reliable when it comes to sleep and standby power drain, so it is no surprise that they would choose the lowest power RAM they can get.

Workerbee Redux

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
California
Apparently only the 2016 rMBP laptop has that empty space

The only reason for that empty space is that Apple wanted to hit some weight target to brag about how light their MBPs are. Further, they are incapable of figuring out true small-bezel displays like Dell XPS has and therefore the MBP needs a large footprint.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
If you don't use your computer for over a week regularly, you are no Pro user. Or an unemployed Pro user.

Pro's - like artisans - use their tools to build and craft.
The levels of condescension necessary to distinguish between computer users and 'real' computer users.

Reactions: Feenician

Workerbee Redux

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
California
The standby issue is actually a big deal - not for 30 days worth because all computers will go into hibernate during that time and the RAM will be powered down - but in day to day use. [...] Apple has long been much more reliable when it comes to sleep and standby power drain, so it is no surprise that they would choose the lowest power RAM they can get.
Naaah. Apple owns the whole stack and can design their systems and OS so that their machines can go to deep sleep. If they currently achieve 30d, compromising this down to 7d would hurt hardly anyone even aver a year of battery decay.

Also: why don't you put your Windows box into hibernation before boarding a flight? I do it all the time and it helps conserving battery power.

Reactions: ssgbryan

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Naaah. Apple owns the whole stack and can design their systems and OS so that their machines can go to deep sleep. If they currently achieve 30d, compromising this down to 7d would hurt hardly anyone even aver a year of battery decay.

Also: why don't you put your Windows box into hibernation before boarding a flight? I do it all the time and it helps conserving battery power.

I could, but Windows 10 doesn't include Hibernate by default, and I haven't actually used the Start menu to put a computer to sleep in years. I just close the thing like everyone else does. If I really know I'll need the battery life I can manually put it in hibernate. But we shouldn't have to.

Workerbee Redux

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
California

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Reactions: deany

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
The only reason for that empty space is that Apple wanted to hit some weight target to brag about how light their MBPs are. Further, they are incapable of figuring out true small-bezel displays like Dell XPS has and therefore the MBP needs a large footprint.

And also to lure people into updating to Rev A or Rev B when they'll fill all the avaliable spaces and brag about 12 hrs battery life...

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Evidently the folks who need/want 32 GB RAM should suck it up and either go elsewhere or make do with 16GB because Apple can't be bothered.

Apple has indeed turned in to Xerox. Oh the irony!

Reactions: ssgbryan

albebaubles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Sierra in view
Oh great, 24 pages of, "I'm not an engineer but I'm going to lecture the engineers at Apple over how to do their jobs because I apparently know more than they do even though I have no first hand knowledge or experience doing their jobs". Once again we have people here screaming and howling as if their opinions first of all mattered and second of that their situation represents the vast majority of people but alas rather than the moderators pruning the idiots you have such idiots encouraged for the sake of more advertisement views.
Then go read some other thread -- people are pissed off and want to task about it. you're the one doing the whining.

Reactions: dysamoria

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Which Macbook Pro would you pick, if you had the choice:

Option 1:
2016 15" Macbook Pro with Emojibar
(76.0 Wh battery)

Option 2:
2015 15" Macbook Pro with:
- Skylake CPU's from 2016 model
- GPU's from 2016 model
- Display from 2016 model
- 2x DDR4 slots
- 2x M.2 slots
(99.5 Wh battery)

I know my pick...

Clearly option #2 - and no reason for option 2 not to also retain: Magsafe, SD card slot, 1x USB-A and add 2xUSB-C

2x M.2 slots would be great for future upgradeability

MacBj

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2014
Switzerland
I like the thickness of my MBP 15'' 2008, because it has space for all the Ports i need,
but it's too heavy those Days......

But i would like to have that size with all the ports and
a weigth of a FLY!! Yeah, and i guess you could change the SSD and RAM, that's why my
MBP is still alive, ok now they kill it with the Software.......

To charge over 2000$ (Europe) for that new 13'' machine (oh i forgot to include the Adapter's ;-)
and with all the limitations,
i don't think that machine will be a workhorse for 8 years.....

It's up to you, if you earn enough money, wanna play with the new bar and you don't care to buy
a new one in a few years,
go for it

if not, .......

AND... do you really wanna put your new beauty MBP next to this ugly 5K Displays?? aawww

and don't hang on your powercord, uhhh, hello apple care, is that covered anyway, killing you port?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.