Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Apple is trash lately. I'm glad I have a 2015 rMBP that is more "pro". I think they've become more "pro" politically correct than actually making "pro" devices these days.

MEH.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
No thanks. Do not want a thicker, heavier MBP. Considering their overall customer base, and the goal of maximizing positive user experience for that base, Apple made the correct set of of engineering trades.

For people who really need 32 GB or more memory in a laptop I'm sure there are loads of other manufacturers out there that can handle that, but with corresponding negative consequences in the trade matrix.

The issue is not that Apple produces a thin laptop, they should. A thin underpowered laptop is good for a lot if not most people. The problem is that all they have to do is make the case a bit bigger, use a bigger battery, solder in some 32G RAM, and up the processor which is pin compatible (WAG) to make a version that other people need. Apple goes out of their way to do special things for the handicapped, which I wholly approve, then they can also go out of their way, just a little, to support power users. If not, Apple can suffer the grief of being a crap company. Oh, you say that is too harsh. Well if Apple refused to support the handicapped, then wouldn't you say they were a crap company? Same thing, different demographic. Pro, power users are just not politically correct this day and age.

morcutt11

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2015
USA
Lord.

What a bunch of whiners this community has become. Schiller explained pretty damn well the reasonong behind the decision, when put to extreme, unrealistic working conditions, the 2016 MBP never has to page memory (16 GB is plenty) and the Mac has the fastest storage in the industry.

But the whiners just want a thicker Mac!
Many of us won't need 32GB. I have a 16 GB rMBP and that amount of RAM is fine for what I do. However, these are "Pro" laptops and should be geared to meet the needs of that audience that pushes GPU, CPU, RAM, and SSD limits to do the video editing, photo editing, etc. work that they do. With Apple dragging on updating the desktop Macs, anyone wanting newer tech has to look to the MBP, which makes its capabilities critical. Apple gave it an apparently blazing fast SSD (soldered onto the motherboard and at a premium cost), but these machines fall short in other areas.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Courage...

Courage to have the audacity to make inferior products with dated components at super-high prices... courage... to continue to rip off consumers and smile while all the Apple execs make millions!!!!

Last edited:

mytdave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2002
And nowhere in that summary did I seen anyone mention that Apple could have used more power hungry RAM architecture if they weren't so obsessed with thin. If they had left the thickness the same as the previous generation Pro notebooks, and squeezed in a 95wh battery, then all the Pro customers would be happy right now.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Again Intel.

Ugh.

Apple's business is taking hits because their processor supplier is late to the game, falling out of tick-tock cycle updates, failing to support newer technologies for high-spec machines, and not finding solutions to security issues in things like USB.

The sooner that Apple can make the jump to custom home grown silicon, the better.

Reactions: albebaubles

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
Everyone is confused about the term "PRO." Most erroneously think that it means "PROFESSIONAL." That is not the case. For Apple "PRO" means "PROSUMER" and that is who the target market is. Someone who will spend more money buying something better than an entry level product is who they want. Otherwise known as easy money. To this audience offering a color option is more important than functionality. And longer battery life is better for marketing.

If you are a professional or want a professional system you are on your own as Apple doesn't see you as a big enough market to have value.

Reactions: tubeexperience

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro
So your excuse is that they are catering to their overall customer base when the product's name is MacBook Pro, a utility product that exists for a certain part of the customer base that demands performance and functionality above all else.

Of course when you consider Apple's overall customer base that is 75% iPhone users who upgrade every year so that their friends know they have the latest iPhone that scratches when it touches pockets and can't charge and play music simultaneously without an adapter, the flashy new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar looks like the perfect toy.

You are not supposed to consider the average Apple consumer when it comes to a professional product. That's why the differentiation even exists.

That's precisely what they're saying. The Pro branding no longer refers to feature set or power, but to an aesthetic scheme that separates it from truly useless hardware like that of the 12" MacBook. The Apple customer base is no longer irreverent professionals that pay good money for the tools to make world class content, it's Bernie supporters penning post-modern self-flaggelation whilst using their parents' money to pursue a gender studies degree at an overpriced university that uses half of their tuition to make safe spaces.

Last edited:

iWombBanger

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2016
The non touchbar has a 54w battery
(and a ULV more power efficient but obv lesser performing proc, to put salt in the wound),
whereas TB 13" is 49w,

What is this battery compromising proposition you speak of, Phil the Shill?
Kinda sad the non touchbar has a bigger battery considering the touchbar would use more power -_-"

Reactions: albebaubles

sheffy6

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2016
This will nullify any arguments I can make to my employer that they should replace my 2013 rMBP with a 2016 MBP. There is no way they are going to buy me a laptop that needs to last 3 years with only 16GB RAM. We run multiple VMs and being limited to 16 is really restrictive. I'm going to be forced onto a Lenovo that will have 2TB SSD and 64GB RAM for the same price at the entry level 15" MBP. This is ridiculous. The thin and light thing plus is being taken too far. My laptop sits plugged in on my desk 95% of the time. Add in the $500 increase in price and the nail is in the coffin for me.

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
Many of us won't need 32GB. I have a 16 GB rMBP and that amount of RAM is fine for what I do. However, these are "Pro" laptops and should be geared to meet the needs of that audience that pushes GPU, CPU, RAM, and SSD limits to do the video editing, photo editing, etc. work that they do. With Apple dragging on updating the desktop Macs, anyone wanting newer tech has to look to the MBP, which makes its capabilities critical. Apple gave it an apparently blazing fast SSD (soldered onto the motherboard and at a premium cost), but these machines fall short in other areas.

In real world scenarios, the new MBP performs exceedingly well RAM wise, in "Pro" setups.

For the tiny super-niche of the 0,0001% that may really need 32 GB, Apple would have destroyed the performance and/or battery life of the new machines for all the rest of the users. Which happens to be the overwhelmingly majority.

Most of the whiners here are people who never, ever will need 32 GB or, most likely, people who never owned a Mac.

As far as my personal use case goes, I'm a heavy Logic Pro X user, and 8 GB proved to be much more than enough.

Reactions: MacsRuleOthersDrool

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
That would be fine if they hadn't made the damn thing thinner in this generation! They imposed the limits on themselves at the sacrifice of the professional user. And for what? I've never heard a single professional complain about how thick their MBP is because they're too busy getting work done. Anything that goes up against getting work done is superfluous and is rightfully criticized. If the new Intel chips weren't quite ready, then they should have released this model back in the Spring with the old body form factor and wait until early 2017 to put in the Touch Bar and thinner design when the Intel chips could handle it! Nobody would have complained about a speed bump update early this year.

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
People complaining about this don't even need the power that 32GB of RAM offers. 16GB is already a massive amount of memory!
16GB will be useless in a few years. MacBook Pros are supposed to be geared for the future. 2GB was acceptable not long ago.

2005 Powerbooks had a 2GB limit, which doubled to 4GB by 2007 in MacBook Pros, and it doubled again to 8GB in 2009. We got 16GB in 2010, and in 5 years, somehow 32GB still can't be done?

In 2009, MacBook Pros had a starting memory option at 2GB. They are upgradeable, so when 2GB stopped being enough, they stuck 8GB in them for longer lifespans.

When the maximum memory configuration has stayed the same for 6 years and there's no upgrade path, there is a problem.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Basically they're saying they can't do it.

Steve Jobs would have been like, I don't care what you have to do... JUST DO IT.

Tim Cook is obviously not as product driven.

That's not the Steve Jobs i remember. RAM is definitely not something he was pushing.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
And 16 compromise sales....

The sole fact that they feel the need to justify themselves is admitting they failed!

Reactions: dysamoria
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.