Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JRobinsonJr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2015
Arlington, Texas
Err...I'm confused...doesn't the RAM get copied to disk (hibernate mode) after prolonged time asleep anyway? And thus you have an essentially infinitely long Standby time. No need to keep the RAM powered at all regardless of high or low power once the RAM is copied to disk.

That's how Windows works. Does OS/X have similar capability? I don't recall...

yockster

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
WA
Well, I still like my mid 2014 MBP 15, maxed out, and after seeing all the reviews on the new one, I think it is time to switch to hackintosh or something else. I can not see spending out the cash on this or anything other than maybe the next iphone at this point. I rather have performance, than battery life, or at least an option to customize the memory as well. I guess I am going to sell and build my own.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
I'm so confused by this latest refresh. The space around the battery, the poor specs, bad dGPU, still dual core already outdated CPU, huge price hikes, lack of i/o, missing SD, USBa, HDMI, etc, unnecessary thinness. All resulting in apparently terrible battery life. I'm still waiting for the explanation of how this laptop even compares to older rMBP at this point.

PowerGala

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2016
Then make a thicker laptop that fits into the portable workstation class that you're trying to market the MacBook Pro as when it's not... Maybe call it the PowerBook and put in a Xenon with 15 inch standard and optional 17 inch configurations.

As an ultraportable the MacBook Pro is pretty cool, but it's still an ultraportable. Apple really should really make more products that cater to more people's needs. Like I'd like a nice desktop for home and an entry level laptop for when I'm on the road. I'd also like a powerful workstation for work.

Reactions: dysamoria and idunn

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
That's precisely what they're saying. The Pro branding no longer refers to feature set or power, but to an aesthetic scheme that separates it from truly useless hardware like that of the 12" MacBook. The Apple customer base is no longer irreverent professionals that pay good money for the tools to make world class content, it's Bernie supporters penning post-modern self-flaggelation whilst using their parents' money to pursue a gender studies degree at an overpriced university that uses half of their tuition to make safe spaces.

I think you are likely talking about professional or the term Pro, with one or two specific professions in mind. I agree that the term may have once meant something, back when Apple's market in general, or more specifically the MacBook Pro market, was that of the design / graphics / video / audio creation realm.

Things have changed though, especially as more and more companies have adopted or allowed their employees to use Apple product. So now there are lots of people using MacBook Pro's to do jobs that have little to do with graphic design, etc., but clearly using them as professional devices - even if the work they're doing revolves around typing emails, writing documents and crunching numbers on a spreadsheet.

I'm one of those people, except the company is mine and I choose to use a 15" rMBP, not because I need the processing power, but because I frequently travel between office and manufacturing plant (thereby needing the portability), and my aging eyes make the bigger screen easier to work with.

I love the design of the new rMB and although they are clearly less powerful, would easily do what I need a computer to do, but just can't see going to that small of a screen.

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
16GB in this machine is fine. I've said a lot, heavy workloads and my RAM pressure is super low. The speed is incredible. No need for more ram for years to come.

Reactions: TiquanS

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Apple's PR man Phil Schiller is at it once again...
[doublepost=1479745605][/doublepost]

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 8.24.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 8.24.04 AM.png
    412.8 KB · Views: 136

mkeeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
That's precisely what they're saying. The Pro branding no longer refers to feature set or power, but to an aesthetic scheme that separates it from truly useless hardware like that of the 12" MacBook. The Apple customer base is no longer irreverent professionals that pay good money for the tools to make world class content, it's Bernie supporters penning post-modern self-flaggelation whilst using their parents' money to pursue a gender studies degree at an overpriced university that uses half of their tuition to make safe spaces.

Funny but rue.

Reactions: DJ_S

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Cute, i wish the real world would work like that too. "I can't do something pretty basic in 2016 so I don't do it instead of finding a solution" my Boss would behead me (not literally)

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
The Shill-in-Chief speaks . . .

Pathetic.

Seems like there are plenty of other laptops that offer 32 GB RAM. Perhaps Apple could have kept the original rMBP design and made it, oh, I don't know, faster/better/etc?

I know, I know - crazy thought. Must get thinner . . . even at the cost of performance and usability.

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
I think I and a lot of others could get on board with the 16gb limit if it didn't have a "Pro" label affixed to the model name. As soon as you do that and don't offer something for people who truly need more or for people that just want more ram, you run into the angry mobs.

This transition reminds me of the introduction of the MacBook Air. The key difference, that was a computer filling a specific niche. It's almost like that was the first hit of coke.

The question is, how long before tech advances in the ram department?

Reactions: dysamoria

Bluestrike2

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
What's with all the empty spaces around the battery?

Can't put in a bigger battery? My ***!

cBFfrfQPrPBFgV1s.huge

I can't tell if you (or the others) are being sarcastic, but some of that empty space is empty for a reason. It's limited compared to your CPU and GPU, but motherboard components do generate heat as well as the batteries and other components. You need clear pathways for the transfer of both hot and cool air inside. If you look at this photo of a 2013 Razer Blade, you'll see that there's a lot of similarities in terms of how things are laid out with open space:

dNYHcZgMUqwAGKlP.medium

In real life, the size differences between the new rMBP and the previous model are barely perceptible beyond the weight decrease of about 210 grams (~10%). From an engineering perspective, Apple probably could have increased battery size enough to compensate for a large percentage of the difference in RAM power consumption without adversely affecting size and weight. Maybe there was an issue with supply chain costs for a slightly larger battery and chasis, since they'd be present on all models regardless of how much RAM was chosen.

At some point, a pro laptop needs to remember what 'pro' stands for. But then, Apple has had trouble keeping their laptop lines (and their purported purposes/selling points) clearly delineated for a while now.

Personally, the new rMBP would be a bump up from my current late 2013 15" that I'm using docked at my desk. Just not enough of a bump for the money. Oh well. I just started ordering parts for my Hackintosh build today. Desktop first, then I'll figure out the laptop issue later.

Last edited:

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro
The elitist swine who continue to complain are making me never want to read anything on this site again. This is becoming the CNN of Mac news.

So, are you a coffee-slinging professor of comparative West African literature, or K Street analyst that called the election for Clinton? It's 50/50.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
I don't want a thicker rMBP. I would prefer that it get even thinner and lighter, so that traveling with it is easier. I think there is a group, possibly a large group, of people who use rMBP's that rarely, if ever, use them on battery power.

Maybe Apple should produce a version with significantly less battery in it, maybe enough for 4 hours of use, then take the space and add in desktop class CPU / GPU? Since so many people use laptops as desktops nowadays, with just the occasional off-plug use, Apple could offer Mac-Pro-like power in a laptop.

And given the move to the USB-C ports, those that need more battery power can easily use an external battery, making less need for huge on-board batteries.

I don't think that many will go in for this, sorry.

What you're talking about is a headless Mac/Portable hybrid. An iPad to some, an improved Mac Mini to others.

There is little to no point in producing a portable computer that can only be unplugged for 4 hours!

It's not actually easier traveling with a thinner laptop, with extra cables and dongles to compensate for diminishing storage and power should the MBP get any thinner. Honestly, you're better off with an iPad Pro, or for many who want expandability etc, something from Microsoft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.