Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
"Sunset Window"

Wish I had used a higher shutter speed on this one...live and learn, I guess...

"Sunset Window"

2397576942_0e0f9e788d_o.jpg

sonor

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
London, UK
Big area of black at the top, smaller area of black at the bottom. Dunno if this makes the pic a bit top-heavy. Any thoughts??

I like it as well - but I'd probably trim a little off the top. It's just slightly too much featureless blackness. I prefer the shape of the blackness when it's cropped a little.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
testing out the macro abilities of the super tele... while in Moss park.
click image for half size version
pods2.jpg

L1 + ZD 70-300mm
ISO 125 f/5.6 1/1300 sec. -1.3ev at 300mm

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
I usually have a good understanding of where my photos stand in relation to quality, composition, etc., but I would appreciate a little feedback here:
(PS: ask me if you want to see the original, as I did quite a bit of color-correction on this one)

20080411-hnmswxrmr1w4m7aqr25trpbn5.jpg

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver

Spring is coming
Nikon D80 + 18-55 (D40 Kit)
Exposure: Aperture Priority
Shutter Speed: 1/90
Aperture: f/8
Focal Length: 55mm
Flash: Off
ISO: 360

zirkle2007

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Indiana, USA
I usually have a good understanding of where my photos stand in relation to quality, composition, etc., but I would appreciate a little feedback here:
(PS: ask me if you want to see the original, as I did quite a bit of color-correction on this one)

It sort of seems a little washed out and a little on the purple side as you fade off into the back. I like the picture though! Great shot.

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006

"Unlocked"
Camera: Nikon D40
Exposure: 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 52 mm
ISO Speed: 400

Goofing around in the backyard this afternoon.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

My problem is with the weather rather than the composition. I love photographing in changing weather: sun, shade, partly cloudy, and more extreme conditions... like mist and approaching storms.

The one type of weather I don't like is haze, like in this picture. Morning mist seems to change - revealing things one minute, hiding them the next. But haze just sits there, smothering the view, so that a landscape gets almost bleached out at the horizon.

And, IMO, there isn't a lot you can do in PP to change a hazy pic for the better. Haze flattens the perspective: ie too little contrast between foreground and background. It de-saturates colours. And it lasts all day. :(

So these are the kind of days when I don't get the camera out. It's a bit like that today in the English Lake District. We have a word for this kind of weather; it's "claggy". :)

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Road to camp...

30 miles north of Maupin, OR in Deschutes River country. Shot on Ilford Delta 400, scanned from full-frame 6.5x10" print.

road%20to%20camp_1.jpg

Canon EOS 630
Canon 28-80
Ilford Delta 400

appie57

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2006
Netherlands
Doylem, I guess the lake is down and you were up, so to get less black you probably had to zoom in a little (more), but then you lose a sense of space, so I don't know...it's fine as it is. Most of your landscapes remind me to the paintings of Ruysdael, by the way, the same feel in another geographical setting; having said that, paintings and photographs are better not be compared at all :eek:

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
It sort of seems a little washed out and a little on the purple side as you fade off into the back. I like the picture though! Great shot.

Yeah, I had a really tough time with the color correction, but I'll try tone down the purple. Thanks for the tip :) (BTW here is the original)
Click for full size

My problem is with the weather rather than the composition. I love photographing in changing weather: sun, shade, partly cloudy, and more extreme conditions... like mist and approaching storms.

The one type of weather I don't like is haze, like in this picture. Morning mist seems to change - revealing things one minute, hiding them the next. But haze just sits there, smothering the view, so that a landscape gets almost bleached out at the horizon.

And, IMO, there isn't a lot you can do in PP to change a hazy pic for the better. Haze flattens the perspective: ie too little contrast between foreground and background. It de-saturates colours. And it lasts all day. :(

So these are the kind of days when I don't get the camera out. It's a bit like that today in the English Lake District. We have a word for this kind of weather; it's "claggy". :)

I see what you mean. What was happening on that particular day was a fine misting of rain which blurred out the backgrounds of most of the photos I took that day. The really disappointing thing about it is that I only had that one chance to take any photos, which means that I was "stuck" with it.

If I ever get a chance to go back, I promise I'll spend a day waiting for some nicer light ;).

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I see what you mean. What was happening on that particular day was a fine misting of rain which blurred out the backgrounds of most of the photos I took that day. The really disappointing thing about it is that I only had that one chance to take any photos, which means that I was "stuck" with it.

If I ever get a chance to go back, I promise I'll spend a day waiting for some nicer light ;).

Some days I get the feeling that I'm not supposed to take any pix at all. so the camera stays in the bag. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.