Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GulfVetSAF

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2008
NC
Snapped this coming home from picking my son up from school...
Winston-Salem

DSC_2248.JPG

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
So Im posting a picture today since Im a little bored, and very introspective. Photographs mean so much to me, and when I take an amazing photograph Im overwhelmed to look at, just as I am when I see other's work. But early this morning I got a refreshed outlook on what pictures truly mean. Im posting this picture because it's not very good, in fact its no more than a mid-priced P&S picture with no Photoshopping, no color correction, its overexposed at the lamp, the composure is awful, and only one of the subjects even realize Im taking the photo. But in the middle is my Aunt Betty who passed away from pancreatic cancer about a month ago with no more than 6 days notice. It was when I seen it, the first once since her passing, that I realized once again the true magic of the photograph. They capture moments that you can never get back.

Attachments

• 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 63

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
So Im posting a picture today since Im a little bored, and very introspective. Photographs mean so much to me, and when I take an amazing photograph Im overwhelmed to look at, just as I am when I see other's work. But early this morning I got a refreshed outlook on what pictures truly mean. Im posting this picture because it's not very good, in fact its no more than a mid-priced P&S picture with no Photoshopping, no color correction, its overexposed at the lamp, the composure is awful, and only one of the subjects even realize Im taking the photo. But in the middle is my Aunt Betty who passed away from pancreatic cancer about a month ago with no more than 6 days notice. It was when I seen it, the first once since her passing, that I realized once again the true magic of the photograph. They capture moments that you can never get back.

It isn't a great picture but with the little backround info it makes the picture tell 1 million words. Not just 1 thousand.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
How did you get the color like that? Did you do that in post-processing or on a camera setting.

fix your quote please.
I would say he just did some heavy post processing in photoshop and desaturated a lot of the image while super saturating other parts.
(this can now be done in aperture too, just not as well)

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
fix your quote please.
I would say he just did some heavy post processing in photoshop and desaturated a lot of the image while super saturating other parts.
(this can now be done in aperture too, just not as well)

yup, it was done it Photoshop. Also made Curves adjustments and masked/layered the left/right sides of the building because the left side was a lot lighter than the bricks on the right.

Martin C, would you mind sharing how you got that effect? It looks great on that photo.

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
i like the colors very much.
Martin C, would you mind sharing how you got that effect? It looks great on that photo.
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

What I did in Photoshop:
1) Select the Gradient Tool in the toolbar
2) Then when a toolbar pops up at the top of the screen, select reflected gradient from about 5 choices.
3) Once you have selected reflected gradient, hit 'Q' on your keyboard which will apply a quick mask.
4) Then using your mouse, click and drag over the area you want to be in focus (it will show up in red) once you have made your choice, hit 'Q' once again.
5) Go into Filter, Blur, then Lens Blur
6) Fiddle with the settings and hit OK
7) Voila! The lens blur may take some time to generate depending on how speedy your computer is.

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

What I did in Photoshop:
1) Select the Gradient Tool in the toolbar
2) Then when a toolbar pops up at the top of the screen, select reflected gradient from about 5 choices.
3) Once you have selected reflected gradient, hit 'Q' on your keyboard which will apply a quick mask.
4) Then using your mouse, click and drag over the area you want to be in focus (it will show up in red) once you have made your choice, hit 'Q' once again.
5) Go into Filter, Blur, then Lens Blur
6) Fiddle with the settings and hit OK
7) Voila! The lens blur may take some time to generate depending on how speedy your computer is.

Ah, sounds a lot like a Tilt/shift effect. Usually I do this to try and make my subjects look like toy models:

2396596255_2c27086462.jpg

It's tough to do correctly, i still need some practice... as can be seen from the above photo.

BTW, this is a personal photo of my good friends Colin (top left), my girlfriend Cortney (girl in the red shirt), Mike (only his head is visible...and what a beautiful head that is), and Pablo. I usually dont post photos of people i know or work with (unless it's a candid shot of some random person) just because Im paranoid of the online world. Sorry the image is really small, just wanted to show it as reference.

Edit: OH and the smashing title refers to the game they are playing called "Super Smash Bros. Brawl"

Carl Abudephane

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007
doorlockedds6.png

New York City
December 24th, 2007
D40 | 1/80 at ƒ/4.0 | 20 mm | ISO 200

I've been really liking some of your images for a while now and this is very nice indeed. You posted a photo on 01-12-08 I believe which I absolutely adored and which, along with some of Freebooter's and Valdore's work, has been pretty much the real deal for me. It was a photo of a black wall and was as deceptively simple as that description of it! But it was so, so stunning that I still often recall it and to see it blown up to poster size, professionally printed & framed, would be a sight to behold.
That's my favourite but there have been others, some of which are so wonderfully illustrative & 'finished' as to justify being referred to as pieces of art. Today's is lovely. The colours, the contrast between them, and the overall 'look' that you have achieved is fantastic.

eswank

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2006
NorCal
Guam

Here's a picture that I took back in Guam. I'm far away from there now being stationed state side but I do miss this place.

Attachments

• Guam.jpg
    Guam.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 69

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
I've been really liking some of your images for a while now and this is very nice indeed. You posted a photo on 01-12-08 I believe which I absolutely adored and which, along with some of Freebooter's and Valdore's work, has been pretty much the real deal for me. It was a photo of a black wall and was as deceptively simple as that description of it! But it was so, so stunning that I still often recall it and to see it blown up to poster size, professionally printed & framed, would be a sight to behold.
That's my favourite but there have been others, some of which are so wonderfully illustrative & 'finished' as to justify being referred to as pieces of art. Today's is lovely. The colours, the contrast between them, and the overall 'look' that you have achieved is fantastic.
Thank you so much Carl, you comments are always very kind.

Ah, sounds a lot like a Tilt/shift effect. Usually I do this to try and make my subjects look like toy models:

2396596255_2c27086462.jpg

It's tough to do correctly, i still need some practice... as can be seen from the above photo.
Yup, that's the effect I have been toying around with for the past couple weeks.

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
One of my examples of trying to push emotive value over visual value, which IMHO is yet another way to enhance aesthetics. This is my niece holding my pinky when she was only about 20 hours old.

Attachments

• DSC_0009a.jpg
    DSC_0009a.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 60
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.