Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
harley.jpg

Got my XTi in the mail today and took it for a test drive. :D

Nice photo, but the rain is fake :D Nice bike, too.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Just playing some pinball. I have decided to challenge myself after reading an article on Liam Frankland (http://liamfrankland.com/blog/) who has a project called "this and that" where he shoots everything at 50mm F/1.8. The idea behind the project began as as a way to recapture his "photographic spirit" as he has progressed more towards landscape photography. Basically, when he was younger, he would shoot anything and everything without giving much thought to what he was shooting, and now, by setting some rules (50mm, F/1.8), this style of photography now has a creative purpose. He chose 50mm and F/1.8 because, and I agree, he feels it's his most creative lens as it "reveals elements that are very unique to photography."

This inspired me to try this out. I feel my story is very similar too, as I used to shoot just anything without a thought, only really to document where I was or what I was doing. Then I fell in love with landscape photograph where I could express my love for the outdoors in a creative way... So now it's time to give those shots a purpose again by trying something new! Thanks to DC Mag for the article

It's good to set ourselves some limits; it can really help to focus our attention. One lens, maybe, or shooting the same thing over and over again (Monet painted the same haystack 27 times :eek:). I keep going back to this little boat, moored on the lake, with the Langdale Pikes as a distinctive shape in the background. I go to see what the light will do to what is now a very familiar spot; it's always different...

Don't know what I'm gonna do with hundreds of pix of the same boat, but it's a really good exercise for me... :)

boatsunsetcj7.jpg

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2007

This is the 'perch' at the top of our boardwalk at our family cottage on Lake Michigan. We had some great cloud cover on this day.

Renderz

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2004
2727665832_c2cc687ab5_o.jpg

Hi Seenew, on first glimpse it looks like the perfect wedding photo but when I looked more closely I think the bride's position is awkward; I could be wrong be she looks like she's straining a little to reach for the kiss.

Kenya

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
^^^^^^^

IMHO, I think it's the bride's shoulder that makes it look like she's straining a bit. If her shoulder were more relaxed, the kiss would look effortless.

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
@seenew:I have to agree with the shoulder comment. If his horse was a little farther foward her body composition would have been more relaxed.

@AlaskaMoose: I think the hose makes its self explanatory that he was washing his bike. ;) Btw, nice shot ManWithhat

Mine for the day:

Another from Roslyn, Washington (As always C&Cs are welcome)
2727458344_e7d2f0abde_b.jpg

rweakins

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
2727665832_c2cc687ab5_o.jpg

Hi Seenew, on first glimpse it looks like the perfect wedding photo but when I looked more closely I think the bride's position is awkward; I could be wrong be she looks like she's straining a little to reach for the kiss.

she's riding a horse in a wedding dress....of course it's a little awkward. sweet picture man where in pine mtn is that?

MrMojoRising

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
A couple of shots from Sunday

Hello everyone. I'm new to this site and new to photography. I bought a Nikon D40 on Saturday and spent a little time playing with it on Sunday. Here are my two best shots for the day. C&C welcome!

Attachments

• Flowers.jpg
    Flowers.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Tree.jpg
    Tree.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 115

gullaa

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
Toronto
Here is my contribution, feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)
p.s the panoramic is not a crop, it is composed of three shots, i just lowered the res to post it.

Attachments

• toronto pano2LOW.jpg
    toronto pano2LOW.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1223LOW.jpg
    IMG_1223LOW.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 121

MaddMacs

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Flagstaff, Az
p.s the panoramic is not a crop, it is composed of three shots, i just lowered the res to post it.

I like the panoramic with the moon and the calm water. It appears, though, that the spire is leaning to the right... I also think that it would be more interesting if the city trailing off in either direction was cropped, the strength in the shot being the center of the photo. IMO

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

The panoramic looks amazing. I tried to do that with a pictures of Toronto I looks last year, but it didn't work out so well.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Unexpected visitor

While I was looking for some bugs to photograph, I saw something wriggling about, and when I got closer I ran into this spectacular baby rattlesnake! I got close, at about 30 cm from it to take some pics.

NOTE: Kids, don't try this at home! ;)

Attachments

• Crotalus.jpg
    Crotalus.jpg
    603.3 KB · Views: 126

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
You may be able to edit the photo at Photobucket so that it's 765 pixels (horizontally for horizontal photos) x whatever number of pixels (from 400 to 550 pixel) that is proportional to 765 pixels. I never store full size photos at any place on the Internet. What I do is to scale then with Graphic Converter, since this application has a real nice scaler. I enter the horizontal pixels as mentioned above, and GC automatically matches things up to maintain the photo's proportions. I save the photos for "Web" display at approximately 100KB size, and then upload to photobucket. If the photos are stolen online, the thief is stealing a somewhat low-grade copy of the original. When I post them here, they look like these ones in size.

Thanks for the help. I tried editing it within photobucket, hopefully this one will work.

I missed an exit on the way home a couple days ago, and instead of turning around I went through some back roads just to see new things. Actually ran across a wind farm, which I had never seen in person before, so I stopped to take a couple shots. This one was directly under it, using a 300 mm. Looking back, it might have been good to use the 180, but I like this all the same. C&C always appreciated!

IMG_2960.jpg

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
While I was looking for some bugs to photograph, I saw something wriggling about, and when I got closer I ran into this spectacular baby rattlesnake! I got close, at about 30 cm from it to take some pics.

NOTE: Kids, don't try this at home! ;)

Very nice shot, it looks like the snake is coming through something, breaking cover between two places with foliage, for example. I like how the head is sharp and stands out from the background while the rest of the snake fades away. But . . . . you know it's worse to be bitten by a baby rattler than an adult, right? Kinda a dangerous way to take a picture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.