Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Very nice shot, it looks like the snake is coming through something, breaking cover between two places with foliage, for example. I like how the head is sharp and stands out from the background while the rest of the snake fades away.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it! :)

But . . . . you know it's worse to be bitten by a baby rattler than an adult, right? Kinda a dangerous way to take a picture.

Yes, I know, they're more likely to inject the full content of their venom glands. Also, they're thinner and can (in my experience) maneuver a bit quicker than adults. I've worked at a snake lab before (I helped manipulating snakes to extract venom), and as a Biology major and Animal Biology Lab TA for three consecutive years I know how to get close, but not too close. Thanks for your concern! :)

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
Sorry, not going to post any pics for a couple of days. Was at a 3 year olds birthday party complete with bouncy castle and foam party, got some great shots and with no offense to you guys I'm not really comfortable putting them on t'internet. Going to play with steam trains this weekend!

Doylem and valdore look forward to seeing your shots every day. How long does it take to do your HDRs?

Ja Di ksw, love that turbine shot, but I'm an engineer and into stuff like that.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Yes, I know, they're more likely to inject the full content of their venom glands. Also, they're thinner and can (in my experience) maneuver a bit quicker than adults. I've worked at a snake lab before (I helped manipulating snakes to extract venom), and as a Biology major and Animal Biology Lab TA for three consecutive years I know how to get close, but not too close. Thanks for your concern! :)

Sounds like you know what you're doing :). What's your job now, if you don't mind me asking? I was a Biology major as well, switched tracks in grad school for a Masters but I couldn't stay away from Bio and am looking around at different profs to go to school with looking at either conservation, or evolutionary theory. However, I'm still trying to nail down exactly what I want to do when I get out. Being a professor somewhere is the easiest / obvious answer, but I'm keeping my ears open for other ideas.

Fuzzy14 said:
Ja Di ksw, love that turbine shot, but I'm an engineer and into stuff like that.

Thank you for the compliment!

plaidhippo

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2007
Speaking of snakes....

Hi! This is my first post to the photography section here, so please be kind! I came upon this interesting scenario the first time I went camping in August of last year. A snake hid near a river and caught a fish after it went over a small fall. My wife heard the struggle and I was there quickly with my trusty little canon sd800 in hand. I'm by no means a real photographer, but I thought this was a lucky and interesting shot I captured! And it fits with the snake theme recently developed in the last few posts here... I think cropping this closely would make it much more eye catching, but this is straight from my camera (through iphoto and iweb, of couse). :p

Comments, criticism, suggestions welcomed. :)

Ashish

Attachments

• IMG_3950.jpg
    IMG_3950.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 750

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Hi! This is my first post to the photography section here, so please be kind! I came upon this interesting scenario the first time I went camping in August of last year. A snake hid near a river and caught a fish after it went over a small fall. My wife heard the struggle and I was there quickly with my trusty little canon sd800 in hand. I'm by no means a real photographer, but I thought this was a lucky and interesting shot I captured! And it fits with the snake theme recently developed in the last few posts here... I think cropping this closely would make it much more eye catching, but this is straight from my camera (through iphoto and iweb, of couse). :p

Ashish

Great shot! (and welcome to the board, I just started posting here too).

I like it a lot, I was going to say it tells a story but it more feels like it tells the end of a story than the whole story - don't take that as a bad thing! I would say you're right in that cropping out the excess space would make it more eye catching, I just did a dirty job of that real quick in Preview and it looks nice, gives it a more dynamic feel with the snake cutting across the whole picture. Also, you might try grabbing a nice polarizing filter if you don't have one already, that would get rid of some of the glare which is a little distracting, especially on the rocks on the right. The belly of the fish seems just almost overexposed to the point of not getting detail, but I'm not sure you could have helped that without making the rest of the picture look too dark. Maybe the polarizer would have helped with that, I dunno.

Overall, a really great shot. Don't let my lots of C&C make you feel bad, I always overdo it. The picture looks great! (though maybe add a quick cropping ;) )

plaidhippo

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2007
Thanks for the input, Ja Di! Since I use a simple point and shoot, I don't think a polarizing lens is an option I can attach. (If I'm wrong, please correct me! I use a Canon SD800IS).

Still, I like the idea, and if I move to a DSLR, I think I will keep that option in mind! I appreciate the feedback, and I've had fun going through the archives to see all the real photographers' works! I have a long way to go but I think its going to be fun to try!

I have many more pics on my web site but few "artsy" ones. Mostly just family. Feel free to peruse if you are bored or interested! http://www.plaidhippo.net

Thanks again for the input!
Ashish

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Thanks for the input, Ja Di! Since I use a simple point and shoot, I don't think a polarizing lens is an option I can attach. (If I'm wrong, please correct me! I use a Canon SD800IS).

Still, I like the idea, and if I move to a DSLR, I think I will keep that option in mind! I appreciate the feedback, and I've had fun going through the archives to see all the real photographers' works! I have a long way to go but I think its going to be fun to try!

I have many more pics on my web site but few "artsy" ones. Mostly just family. Feel free to peruse if you are bored or interested! http://www.plaidhippo.net

Thanks again for the input!
Ashish

Ah, you're right, sorry. I wasn't really looking at the camera you used and just assumed it was a DSLR. You have some nice pictures on your site, thank you for sharing.

GT41

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I love seeing the various work of people here, unfortunately I most often check from work and a lot of the photos are blocked. In any case its probably been a few months since I've posted anything, so here is a skyline I took last week.

Attachments

• Toronto Skyline B&W.jpg
    Toronto Skyline B&W.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 176

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Sounds like you know what you're doing :). What's your job now, if you don't mind me asking?

Right now I'm working as a TA, as a scientific photographer at a Medical Entomology lab and I've done a few freelance photography jobs for medical and pharmaceutical companies. :)

Here's a real achievement for me. The actual pic is nothing to write home about, but I've been trying to get a decent pic of this dragonfly for over two years! It almost never stays still, and when it does, it'll be way out of my reach. :( I finally got this shot this weekend.

Attachments

• Orange dragonfly.jpg
    Orange dragonfly.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 116

hans3185

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2008
Fiddling with light painting.
C+C appreciated.
I think I'm gonna try this shot later...with a smaller light.

n1094760014_366399_416.jpg

vixapphire

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles
Great perspective.

wow, now that photo just screams "summertime" to me. when i was much younger my best friend and I used to catch those grasshoppers and just check them out for what seemed like forever. Grasshoppers of that midwestern variety (they looked like the one in your photo where I grew up around Detroit, but i've seen variations in other regions) are some of the most beautifully built "machines" in the world, from the way everything is put together to the textures and colors of each part. but they used to scare the hell out of us when one would fly up out of nowhere and land on one of our legs! how silly is that?!!

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005

:eek:
Can I get her number.... I like girls that get dirty ;):cool:

Ashish
attachment.php

OMFGRASBBQROF!
Thats so amazing! Thanks for posting, its rare to see something like that!
Edit: Ive looked at it like 10 times...theres almost something comedic about the snakes passive stare as its gulping down a fish thats like 10x the size of its head haha.

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
ghostguts post # 88
Wow I got to ask what was the occasion? Field Hockey, Tug-of-War, or just plain mud ball? The shot is really interesting!

plaidhippo
Some times we are there at the right time with a charge in the battery. Your hungry, hungry snake capture is one to keep

jizwood1
That is a really fantastic shot, It makes me wish I was back in Hawaii:)

Here is one of my cloud shots. It was taken across the street from my house while we were fishing for Pink Salmon... My job was to take pics, clean and fillet the catch, and run the smoker.

Anyway
Nikon D-80, F11, 1/500 sec, ISO 400, 18-55 mm lens F3.5-5.6 focal length 27mm

C&C is welcome and appreciated

RHVC:D

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
Clouds

hummm...
Something is not right here... one more time after resizing:eek: it to a little bit smaller file...

the last time for this image:
Here is one of my cloud shots. It was taken across the street from my house while we were fishing for Pink Salmon... My job was to take pics, clean and fillet the catch, and run the smoker.

Anyway
Nikon D-80, F11, 1/500 sec, ISO 400, 18-55 mm lens F3.5-5.6 focal length 27mm

C&C is welcome and appreciated

RHVC

MiniLifeCrisis

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Sometimes other peoples trash makes for a good shot.

The train bridge spans a wide valley in Nicholson, PA (N. or Scranton).

Comments are welcome, more stuff is on my blog.
I've been taking photos for years, but recently a new iMac:apple: in my life has rekindled my digital photography.

Attachments

• BW_JunkChair.jpg
    BW_JunkChair.jpg
    661 KB · Views: 93
  • BW_NicholsonBridge.jpg
    BW_NicholsonBridge.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 108

hector

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Cheltenham, UK
Just got back from a whistle-stop trip round North America. Took in NYC, Washington DC, Toronto, Philadelphia and Connecticut in 2 weeks! I'll post pictures here over the next few days.

Most of them are very cliche, like this one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.