Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plaidhippo

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2007
Here's a quick crop as everyone suggested. I don't have time to get too fancy with photoshop but it definitely does improve the composition of the photo to have the snake coming through the background into the front with its catch! Thanks all for the advice and suggestions!

(also adjusted levels and image size for speed)

Attachments

• IMG_3950.jpg
    IMG_3950.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 159

ghostguts

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
ghostguts post # 88
Wow I got to ask what was the occasion? Field Hockey, Tug-of-War, or just plain mud ball? The shot is really interesting!

This was during day 2 of the 2008 Pitchfork Music Festival in Union Park. It had rained earlier in the day and some individuals decided to muddy it up a little bit to cool off and, in general, have some fun.

Mud dancing and Red Rover soon ensued.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
I took this shot of a dragonfly (Odonata: Anisoptera: Aeshnidae) on a recent trip to the botanical garden. Man, I love that place! :D

Attachments

• Libelula imponente.jpg
    Libelula imponente.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 112

NintendoChick

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
Looks fine as it is...

Sweet, Thanks! I'm used to cropping my pics into a conventional size (4X6, 5X7, etc.) It just felt weird to leave "as is"

oh, and I love the dragonfly, dllavaneras! I saw one today, but he refused to land! >:/

GT41

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I like people posting dragonflies, they have to be one of my favorite subjects, but I don't have a good macro lens.

Some footprints on the beach. I'm not sure I like this picture that much, any comments appreciated.

Attachments

• _MG_5357_1.jpg
    _MG_5357_1.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 87

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Sweet, Thanks! I'm used to cropping my pics into a conventional size (4X6, 5X7, etc.) It just felt weird to leave "as is"

I tend to let the picture dictate the crop... and try to crop as little as possible. If I have to crop a lot away, it usually means I didn't get the composition right 'in the camera'. I'd feel rather constrained to be bound a particular format - for prints - but it's an individual choice, I guess... :)

Some footprints on the beach. I'm not sure I like this picture that much, any comments appreciated.

Imagine clean, virgin sand, with your two footprints, shot early or late in the day to give 'modelling' to the indentations (ie make them more 3-D). You'd need to walk around to see what effect the lighting would have. In your pic the footprints almost 'disappear' into the sand.

GT41

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Imagine clean, virgin sand, with your two footprints, shot early or late in the day to give 'modelling' to the indentations (ie make them more 3-D). You'd need to walk around to see what effect the lighting would have. In your pic the footprints almost 'disappear' into the sand.

Agreed. I have to say it was the worst possible time to shoot, it was almost noon so there was no chance of any shadows at all to create depth. I just couldn't put my finger on that when I looked at the photo... Thanks for the help.

NintendoChick

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
I tend to let the picture dictate the crop... and try to crop as little as possible. If I have to crop a lot away, it usually means I didn't get the composition right 'in the camera'. I'd feel rather constrained to be bound a particular format - for prints - but it's an individual choice, I guess... :)

Yeah, very true! Sometimes I'm forced to compose a shot with cropping in mind, due to physical barriers, or limitations of the lens. Thanks for catching me getting addicted to cropping!

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Another shot from when I found the wind farm. I like the previous one focusing on just a single turbine and blade, but this has a decent effect too, imho.

C&C always appreciated.

IMG_2937.jpg

B

Bokser

Here is a photo of a girl walking towards me, taken with Canon XSi + Canon EF 70-200mm 2.8L USM IS.
No photoshop, handheld.

234659.jpg

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
oh, and I love the dragonfly, dllavaneras! I saw one today, but he refused to land! >:/

I'm glad you like it! :) You have to be patient when photographing these critters!

Following your lead...:)

I would have focused on the near footprints, letting the others trail into the distance. Is there any particular reason why you chose to focus on the far footprints instead of the near ones? (space issues, maybe?)

pinktank

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Following your lead...:)

excuse me while I use your image for some examples. Comparing this to the other footprint picture, we see a focus point in the image due to tighter depth of field which gives the eye a point to seek or/and a point of approach. I must say that I really don't like the (wrongly done) vignette. The vignette in lightroom is there to fix lens aberrations and therefore doesn't start from the ends of your crop, it starts from the original border and your cropping makes it looks awkward, it doesn't need a vignette anyway.

What they both lack is a sens of light which makes them a little too gray for eyecandy type of photographs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.