Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
Family's dog, Sakura, in Lake Tahoe over the weekend.
3855318780_97d5ef07f1_b.jpg

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I don't think you do... ;)

There are a lot of these funny little buildings round here, which have no obvious pupose: not quite houses, not quite barns.

I stand corrected! Eh...if you've seen one impossibly serene landscape dotted with a solitary, charming little rustic dwelling, you've seen 'em all... ;)

One from Pompeii:

BenchInscription.jpg

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
The annual Canadian National Exhibition opened last Friday. I usually don't go, but opening day admission was only $1.75 (in honour of Toronto's 175th birthday this year), so my wife and I skipped work and headed on down.

Managed to get in a little photography while I was there (and saw several others with some very nice gear lurking around too...)

629469472_3vimV-L.jpg

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
As requested!

dsc56132.jpg

Very well done! :)

And with a D50 no less. Excellent. Another reason for me to grab a used copy at some point. The pixel density is similar to the D3/700 (as is the D40's). My only concern would be hot pixels at this point, as the sensors often develop them over time. My old D300 didn't wait around, of course, but most allow a little time for it :p. A D40 isn't an option for me, as all my lenses are AF/D, and I wouldn't have autofocus capability with any of them (20/50/85/180, when I get another copy of the latter, which was defective on arrival).

gnd: Beautiful scene :).

One for me:
360309.jpg

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Lovely! What lens is this taken with? The bokeh is gorgeous.

Also, how have you post-processed this? I love that desaturated, faded look, but it's hard to get while still retaining good skin tones.

Thank you very much :). I sure appreciate that.

There is no post-processing, because it was taken on slide film (Sensia 100, to be precise). That shot is basically an example of why film remains attractive to many people, including me.

The lens is an 85/1.8 AF, and the shot was taken around sunset, so that helps explain the colors :).

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Thank you very much :). I sure appreciate that.

There is no post-processing, because it was taken on slide film (Sensia 100, to be precise). That shot is basically an example of why film remains attractive to many people, including me.

The lens is an 85/1.8 AF, and the shot was taken around sunset, so that helps explain the colors :).

Ha! My first thought was "this is film", but around these parts you never know.

Lovely image.

macgeof

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2005
Sheffield:UK
Great Langdale

First post after many a month lurking - but C&C welcome

Taken on the way up to Stickle Tarn in Great Langdale, Lake District. Have no fear Doylem (Windermere just visible in the background top left), it was only a trip to my fave spot in England and my I have a way to go to match your eye!

Attachments

• up_to_stickle_tarn.jpg
    up_to_stickle_tarn.jpg
    446.5 KB · Views: 366

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

Taken on the way up to Stickle Tarn in Great Langdale, Lake District. Have no fear Doylem (Windermere just visible in the background top left), it was only a trip to my fave spot in England and my I have a way to go to match your eye!

Nice shot- I'd probably have tried to move a few feet left to get the water coming off the corner a bit more to lead the eye into the center more obviously, but that's a minor tweak.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->

attachment.php

I think your eye is serving you well enough. You found a nice spot with an interesting foreground, middle ground, and background--so nice depth. Also great cloud coverage, but that seems to come with the territory up there. What this photo suffers from is "wrong-time-of-day syndrome." Looks to have been shot in the middle of the day, when the sun is high, strong, and harsh.

superted666

Oct 17, 2005

Great shot, makes me want to make a weekend trip there sometime soon :)

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

To my eye it's fine just the way it is. I like the symmetry of the three curves: close-up, middle distance, and the hill at the back. I feel I'm there...

Oh... I am... ;)

When the sun is coming out of this kind of half-cloudy sky, I find I can shoot all through the day. The light is directional - not scattered - which naturally saturates the colours. Not sure why... but it does...

macgeof

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2005
Sheffield:UK
Nice shot- I'd probably have tried to move a few feet left to get the water coming off the corner a bit more to lead the eye into the center more obviously, but that's a minor tweak.
I think your eye is serving you well enough. You found a nice spot with an interesting foreground, middle ground, and background--so nice depth. Also great cloud coverage, but that seems to come with the territory up there. What this photo suffers from is "wrong-time-of-day syndrome." Looks to have been shot in the middle of the day, when the sun is high, strong, and harsh.
Great shot, makes me want to make a weekend trip there sometime soon :)
To my eye it's fine just the way it is. I like the symmetry of the three curves: close-up, middle distance, and the hill at the back. I feel I'm there...

Oh... I am... ;)

When the sun is coming out of this kind of half-cloudy sky, I find I can shoot all through the day. The light is directional - not scattered - which naturally saturates the colours. Not sure why... but it does...

Yes it was taken about 2pm on a scorching day. Got maybe one or two more from later in the walk and day too. That said the next day it poured all day long so the light was even worse!

So, thanks all for your comments, I enjoy the C&C that goes on here and enjoy and admire most of the pics posted here. If I can absorb some of the inspiration I see here I'll be a happy man.

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV

Just another Grand Canyon Sun Set photo from our recent trip. As much as I prefer Desert View for the Sun Set, there are other plenty of great places to catch the magic hour. This was taken from Yavapai Point (the same place as the panoramic I posted earlier). I usually hike a little bit away from the tourists (this is a very popular spot as you don't have to walk far to see it) so I can get a slightly different view point and some peace and quiet.

We met a couple who were driving through the Grand Canyon en-route to relocating on the East Coast. They only had an hour to take in the Grand Canyon and all they did was find this quiet spot, grab a picnic and sit in awe of the Canyon. It's always great to watch others see the Grand Canyon for the first time and how they take it in. It was just peaceful to see them happy and relaxed watching the sun go down before they hit the road again.

This was shot with my Canon 5D mark II, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L and a 0.9 Graduated ND filter. It was edited in Lightroom 2 just to change the white balance from the RAW image

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.