Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
These two photos were taken about a month ago in my yard. They're both going to be entered in a photography contest at our town fair next month.

DSC_0153.jpg
DSC_0060.jpg

@ gnd- I absolutely love that photo of the tree. I really like the effect that the backlighting gives the photo, and the shadow just draws you into the photo. My only issue with the photo is that it seems ever so slightly overexposed.

Don

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
tilted_bench.jpg

Canon EOS 20D :: 45 mm TS :: f 2.8 :: 1/20 sec :: iso 800 :: Handheld

I like this a lot, but if I may offer some constructive criticism.

- The two flower pots seem to be more in focus then the bench, I don't know if that's what you were going for, but it really draws me away from the bench, and more towards the flower pots.

- I know you don't have any control over this, but the light in the door way is also distracting, for me at least.

- I really like the lights along the wall. They really draw you towards the center of the picture, in this case the bench (more a comment then a criticism)

- Lastly, I really love how you threw the foreground out of focus it really gives the photo a lot of depth.

Don

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Very well done! :)

And with a D50 no less. Excellent. Another reason for me to grab a used copy at some point. The pixel density is similar to the D3/700 (as is the D40's). My only concern would be hot pixels at this point, as the sensors often develop them over time. My old D300 didn't wait around, of course, but most allow a little time for it :p. A D40 isn't an option for me, as all my lenses are AF/D, and I wouldn't have autofocus capability with any of them (20/50/85/180, when I get another copy of the latter, which was defective on arrival).
Many thanks! Aside from being partial that subject—my lovely ladyfriend—I was indeed happy with the result of that particular photograph. Softness was the aim; the wide aperture of my 60mm f/2.8 helped to achieve said look. On this particular shoot, I had both the D50 and D70s armed and ready, yet tweaked WB on the D50 and loved the setting, so just stuck with the D50. (To add to the excitement, I paid but $250 for that camera, two years ago!)

Anyway, here is a submission for today (click for higher res):

dsc4552y.jpg

This was taken the night after the worst ice storm in living memory. The City of Worcester Mass and surrounding area was without power for, in some places, two weeks. For five days, this particular neighborhood of about 25,000, was isolated and damaged to levels not seen in decades. Truly incredible stuff.

macgeof

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2005
Sheffield:UK
Wow! Two stunning shots from South America :)

This is a handheld HDR from two RAW files. It wouldn't have been possible without my new 10-20mm!
F9, ISO 200

Angel Falls

I'm still learning how to both use the lens and make HDR pics, so any input will be most welcome!
Could I see a non-HDR version please - the mist at the base of the falls is bothering me slightly and wondering if it's due to the HDR treatment.
Salar de Atacama,

3836976968_8407e955da_b.jpg
Love the scene, but maybe a little less of the foreground might keep my eye drawn further into the scene?

These are minor ponderings on 2 great shots though.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Simply fantastic! EXIF, please? :)

---
This is a handheld HDR from two RAW files. It wouldn't have been possible without my new 10-20mm!
F9, ISO 200

Angel Falls

I'm still learning how to both use the lens and make HDR pics, so any input will be most welcome!

Wow just wow, that's the first thing I said when I saw that picture.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009

Just another Grand Canyon Sun Set photo from our recent trip. As much as I prefer Desert View for the Sun Set, there are other plenty of great places to catch the magic hour. This was taken from Yavapai Point (the same place as the panoramic I posted earlier). I usually hike a little bit away from the tourists (this is a very popular spot as you don't have to walk far to see it) so I can get a slightly different view point and some peace and quiet.

We met a couple who were driving through the Grand Canyon en-route to relocating on the East Coast. They only had an hour to take in the Grand Canyon and all they did was find this quiet spot, grab a picnic and sit in awe of the Canyon. It's always great to watch others see the Grand Canyon for the first time and how they take it in. It was just peaceful to see them happy and relaxed watching the sun go down before they hit the road again.

This was shot with my Canon 5D mark II, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L and a 0.9 Graduated ND filter. It was edited in Lightroom 2 just to change the white balance from the RAW image

Phenomenal dude really great photos. Makes me want to take a trip to the Grand Canyon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.