Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamkewl

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2009
3796223616_b25efd9d1e_b.jpg

I just bought DSLR so I kinda suck* :p

*i reallllllly suck

techie4life

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Georgia
I as well. Thats an incredible shot, like something id expect to see on a page in GQ...

Thank you! That's what we were going for, but the main point was to convey the theme of "Cartier: I love you too" so that's why that writing is the dead-center of focus!

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
It's interesting how everyone throws out their personal preferences, so I might as well toss mine in. For others offering improvements, It's not just about making a good photo, but fulfilling what the band wants. If they are a gritty, hard rocking band, then this shot suits them. Aside from the lack of detail in the blacks, I think the setting has promise. Rather than clone out all the elements that compuwar does not like, I would take advantage of them. That greasy puddle could be an element used to string everyone together if it ran through the background from left to right. I happen to like the tire tracks. They lead the viewer's eye from bottom to top which seems to suit the angle. I like that the drummer is looking off. It would help more if he was on the left and looking across the group.

Here are a couple quick and dirty photoshop mods. The interesting this is that the original image has a nice rhythm to the position of the figures. I cannot recreate that rhythm without a lot of work. But imagine swapping the drummer and keyboardist positions (from the original image) and having the drummer looking to the right:

I totally see where you are coming from. I guess I like it gritty because they are a rock band and I just liked the different textures, but I still like what you did.

Here's my quick edit...

Basically healing brush the mess out of the tracks and puddles, Smart selection everything but the people/instruments then Image->Adjustments->Color Balance and go from yellow towards blue for each of shadow, midtone and highlight with preserve luminosity checked (should be the default.) I cropped a bit, but with the drummer still getting some space to look into. Attached as a thumb, so click for full effect- looks like the makings of a good cover shot to me...

Paul

I'm not feeling the long water puddle kinda odd...
My personal preference...hard-rocking "green" band. Watch out Bono!:)

I think this is gonna be their album cover!! HAHAHAHAHA this is hilarious! :D

owaint

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2009
You make my city look so much more beautiful than it is 90% of the time.

:cool:thanks:cool:

I'm very jealous of you living there though, can't wait for my next trip across the pond - though I think my other half might kill me if I spend 2 hours walking across the Brooklyn Bridge in the freezing cold again!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Blondie.

I swear she was seriously amazing for 60 years old.
Not technically awesome but I was far back and used a Canon G9.
IMG_1918.jpg

eli8527

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Sunset

Hi, I took this just today as the sun was setting at the Tod's Point (Greenwich, CT). I used only my Panasonic ZS1 and no photo editing software! Hope you like it!

sunset.JPG

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
3796223616_b25efd9d1e_b.jpg

I just bought DSLR so I kinda suck* :p

*i reallllllly suck

No, you just have new tools to get used to.

This is the type of shot that really needs a tripod and a slower shutter speed. With the camera out of your hands, you are free to set up the framing and exposure. You can set the focus where you want it and stop down to f11 or so. That will give you a better depth of field (more stuff in focus), and that is what close shots like these need the most. Using the self-timer or a cable release makes your rig even more steady.

Doylem doesn't touch his camera after he sets up those grand landscapes of his. Just watches the light and triggers the shutter.

Dale

Keep shooting. Stop shooting yourself in the foot!

Dale

iamkewl

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2009
No, you just have new tools to get used to.

This is the type of shot that really needs a tripod and a slower shutter speed. With the camera out of your hands, you are free to set up the framing and exposure. You can set the focus where you want it and stop down to f11 or so. That will give you a better depth of field (more stuff in focus), and that is what close shots like these need the most. Using the self-timer or a cable release makes your rig even more steady.

Doylem doesn't touch his camera after he sets up those grand landscapes of his. Just watches the light and triggers the shutter.

Dale

Keep shooting. Stop shooting yourself in the foot!

Dale

Wow, thanks for the tips.

I really don't have anyone to teach me anything. I'm 15 so I can't really travel anywhere to take pictures so I shoot stuff in my backyard.

Anyway, thanks for the pointers. I'll be picking up a tripod and cable release this weekend. :)

JakeN488

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2006
Went to Sedona yesterday, I took a ton of pictures- but sadly was only happy with a handful of them. :eek:

Clickable...
3797388462_747b146dbe_b.jpg

3796568585_e1dede9d3d_b.jpg

not a great photo- but tons of fun..

3797385698_0a2b82a332_b.jpg

techie4life

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Georgia

I took this one almost a year ago but I don't think I ever posted it. This one and the next few were senior pictures I took of a few classmates after I took and posted my own picture. They were impressed and asked me to take some of them! Clickable!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.