Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I'm all for a HDR-only thread. I think it would be fun to see and I also think that its a little odd comparing unprocessed photography to tonemapped pictures.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
A break in the clouds over Piel Island, Cumbria, UK

peilislandcloudslr3.jpg

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
I'm all for a HDR-only thread. I think it would be fun to see and I also think that its a little odd comparing unprocessed photography to tonemapped pictures.
Well I can appreciate that some would like a separate thread for all HDR pictures, but personally this is the only thread I check regularly on macrumors, so I hope it doesn't mean people will stop posting their HDRs in here.

ACbc

macrumors member
May 14, 2007
another long exposure

Ok i lied. a few more night shots.... these will be from a different day though. :)

This was taken in Boston Commons...2 days after a huge snow storm we had here. Maybe around 40 minutes after sunset, which allowed me to get that cool blue/purple color in the sky (in actuality it was already quite dark by now, but i guess light enough for the camera to capture some color during the exposure). This particular picture has practically all of my favorite non-portrait elements. Trees, skyline, long exposure, mixed lighting resulting in different colors...

2113250819_acee35fb4f_o.jpg

Nikon D300
17-55 f/2.8 @ 17mm
f/8
20 second exposure
ISO 200

Jeremy!

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2007
Neon tubes

Twenty years ago posterization was the 'in' thing to do. Now HDR is the latest 'wow' craze. I have yet to try it, but plan on shortly. Not yet sure if seeing in the shadows is a good thing or not. I can see that taking a good shot in HDR is many times more difficult as you now see the whole frame. Sometimes shadows can be used to obscure parts of the image that frankly are not part of the story. Same with the highlights. I guess you can still use focus to to do that, but most HDR's I have seen are long shots where field of focus is not an available option. I think the 'spooky' HDR's so far work the best, they can be quite unworldly. Or the ones that are very subtle. Sure is a long way from burnin' and dodgein' in the darkroom!

D80
ISO 140
105mm (effective)
1/500 sec @ f/5.6

Attachments

• DSC_0254.jpg
    DSC_0254.jpg
    841 KB · Views: 85

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
It seems this is one of the photos that people liked the most of the ones I uploaded to Flickr!, tell me what you think.:)

Nikon D40x
Nikkor 35-135mm

I usually don't get too excited over flower photos, but I really like this. The grayish background works great as a contrast to the colorful flower.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
citymarketportraiture.jpg

Shutter: 1/400
Aperture: f/8.0
Focal Length: 180mm
ISO 100

A lady at the public farmers' market in Kansas City (Missouri) on a late Saturday morning back in November - from my first round of photos with a new telephoto lens I bought.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Breakfast at Bijou Care, Portland, OR

I spent a couple of days taking shots in some of the best "breakfast" joints in Portland - there are plenty of great ones - and this one is on the short list. Scanned from color neg.

Image29.jpg

Canon A2
Canon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM
Fuji Super G 400

FastEddy

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2007
North Californie
I'll say this:

I do look forward every morning to seeing these pictures ... Keep up the good work and Merry Christmas ( :) ), Happy New Year ( :cool: ) and Gung Hey Fat Choi ( :confused: )... keep the pictures coming!! :apple:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I spent a couple of days taking shots in some of the best "breakfast" joints in Portland - there are plenty of great ones - and this one is on the short list. Scanned from color neg.

Image29.jpg

Canon A2
Canon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM
Fuji Super G 400
Not bad, this could totally benefit from some HDR post-processing.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Not bad, this could totally benefit from some HDR post-processing.

I think HDR might not work for that photo. Interior HDRs nearly always require multiple exposures straight from the camera. Because this restaurant is filled with people, it would have to be done from one RAW file - and HDR from a RAW requires a better lit subject matter than the inside of the restaurant provides.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.