Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
peeking through

Don't know why I shot this, except I had an impulse - so I did. I had to manually focus on the background, since AF only wanted to focus on the fence.

DSC_5594.JPG

Model: NIKON D50
ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/160 sec
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 55mm w/kit lens

Jeremy!

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2007
marclapierre13: I like it. As xmas is so close, we definitely need more shots for xmas.

Same idea as other 'draw with lights' but held still for base image, than moved camera near end of exposure. Got to love the dancing girl! Such a cliche

"Who is watching the watchman's wife, when the watchman's out watching the night."

D40
iso3200
1 second
F36

Attachments

• light of the night.jpg
    light of the night.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 95

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
"A frigid desolation"

baltimorestreet.jpg

Three tripod mounted RAWs // HDR
Shutter: varied
Aperture: f/7.0
Focal Length: 17mm
ISO 100

It seems like where you go to shoot, there is never anyone there. I know you said you like to go at sunset or sunrise, do you go really early is that why the streets are usually dead?

seniorstinky

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I'll add to the Christmas theme. Shot of my youngest a couple of days ago:

2120482187_5a67f493dc.jpg

Info:

Canon 40D
f/8
1/200 exposure (although it doesn't really matter with the flash)
ISO 500 (was wondering why I was having issues with my "normal" studio settings... guess I forgot to change the ISO back from an earlier low, natural light shoot)

Vivitar flash left of camera reflecting off of a door
Canon flash right of camera w/ silver umbrella

Both at 1/2 power

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
mass departure

Canada geese lifting off from a stopover in Oregon.

DSC_3849.JPG

Model: NIKON D50
ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/500 sec
Aperture: f/7.1
Focal Length: 200mm

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I'll add to the Christmas theme. Shot of my youngest a couple of days ago:

Absolutely adorable!:D

Went to the pier Sunday for dawn patrol- it was rainy and the waves looked flat so I left. Hour later a grommet friend called me up and said "it's epic!!" Usually I'm a little skeptical when I've already seen it, but I headed back up that way from PAFB and it truly was in fine form... I just love the way offshore winds feather back the lip.:cool:

_1040966.jpg

Panasonic L1 + Zuiko digital 70-300mm f/4-5.6
1/500 sec. @ f/8, ISO 200
300mm (600mm equiv. fov)​

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
Yeah. This is nice. Have you tried printing any out to A3? If so, does the resolution hold up okay on the D40, with the sensor not being strangled with too many pixels?

I've never printed any of my photos to date. But from what I recall, Ken Rockwell mentioned A3 printing from his D40 looking great. Even though cameras today can go up to 20MP, that doesn't make 6MP a low amount.

I think A3 prints will look great from my D40, once I get around to doing it. If you're concerned and you intend to do a lot of A3 printing you can always spend a little extra to get the D40x.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I don't get those pictures at all. I'm all for fun, abstract, long exposure light shots but there is no pattern, no real focus to that. Its just a camera moving around and taking a picture of nothing.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I'm just trying to be constructive. I see a whole lot of the same and I'd encourage branching out and trying something... different? Artsy for the sake of artsy is lost on me.

Again, I don't know your artistic process and clearly we don't share the same view on this. Its great that you are taking photos, but again; artsy for the sake of is the impression I get.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
It seems like where you go to shoot, there is never anyone there. I know you said you like to go at sunset or sunrise, do you go really early is that why the streets are usually dead?

It's pretty frequent that I get city photos with no people, because of shooting at sunrise. Plus, that particular morning it was like an eight degree windchill - so not many people out. And the fact that American cities lost all of their population, vitality, and health because everyone evacuated the city to move to the damn suburbs. :mad:

snowystreet.jpg

One tripod mounted RAW // HDR
Shutter: 4 sec.
Aperture: f/5.7
ISO 100

With this photo I wanted to capture the steam rising out of the manhole, but I didn't do a very good job of that. I guess it would need a faster shutter and a higher ISO, as I look back on it.

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007

Click for larger version.

A tree half a mile from my house, which I saw while walking last night. 20 second exposure on a crappy tripod, cropped to remove the house visible in lower right corner.

Pentax *ist Ds
20 second exposure, roughly.
28mm f2 lense, wide open.
no flash
white balance set to tungsten to accurately capture the bluish tint of the tree.
Dec 18, 2007

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
snowystreet.jpg

One tripod mounted RAW // HDR
Shutter: 4 sec.
Aperture: f/5.7
ISO 100

With this photo I wanted to capture the steam rising out of the manhole, but I didn't do a very good job of that. I guess it would need a faster shutter and a higher ISO, as I look back on it.

Despite the blown highlights on the building entryway and a few other spots, this shot really works for me, even without the steam showing. I love the composition (which is one of your strong talents) and the way you use the environmental conditions and reflections to enhance the mood as much as the HDR treatment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.