Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
mg1022.jpg

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
It also helps them with sidestepping copyright issues with modern artists, as well as not having to deal with the whole "messing with other visitors" thing.

The other issue in museums, is lighting. Curators really do not like flash photography, since over time light damages the color of many of our artifacts. Light damage is cumulative, and can not be reversed. Museums are charged with the care of their collections for the long term. You can see the damaging effects of light on your own. Print two copies of an image put one in a drawer or other location which is not exposed to light, and one in a spot that has a bright light source or sunlight, wait 6 months or longer and compare the two images. One could also cover on half of an image with black paper to block light, check the print periodically over time it should not take too long for color shifts to begin to appear.

In our museum, we allow photography, but no flash.

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
I went for a walk on the docks of Thomas Basin yesterday in the late afternoon. The light on the bow of the old wooden troller Tradition was quite cool.

Attachments

• 2009-12-12-Tradition-hull-.jpg
    2009-12-12-Tradition-hull-.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 81

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I'm a total noob with very little idea of what I'm doing. :eek:

Then you've got some fun times (and a few frustrations...) ahead of you. :)

I love fish & chip shops, especially the ones in West Yorkshire towns (Fish & chips in London? Forget it...). Some are just little wooden shacks, like this, but don't let that put you off. These little wooden 'chippies' are where you'll find the warmest welcome and the best fish & chips. "One of each, please, with plenty of scraps", and carry a nice, warm, fragrant package, wrapped up in newspaper, back home for your tea...

andreaschippy.jpg

TheSVD

macrumors 6502a

just wow.. what an incredibly beautiful image. very well done :)

DSC_1989.jpg

Model: NIKON D300
ISO: 1600
Exposure: 1/200 sec
Aperture: 4.0
Focal Length: 300mm
Wow, what a picture.... so clear at iso 1600 too! what lens did you use for this? :) loving the line of sun reflection off the boats! that would make a very nice wallpaper, sir ;)

From my walk through Puyallup. Just doesn't want to go.

compcolors.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/20s f/5.6 ISO100 39mm

Dale
Very nice, really good composition and just such a good photo :) tiny bit overexposed though? ah i dunno :D

just :eek:

I snapped this picture sometime around 7:30ish. I stayed awake all night and decided that I should take pictures in the sixteen degree weather when the sun first came up.

Why I stayed outside all night I'll never know...

18L2

well you should be glad you did, i think thats a really good pic you got there :)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
The other issue in museums, is lighting. Curators really do not like flash photography, since over time light damages the color of many of our artifacts. Light damage is cumulative, and can not be reversed. Museums are charged with the care of their collections for the long term. You can see the damaging effects of light on your own. Print two copies of an image put one in a drawer or other location which is not exposed to light, and one in a spot that has a bright light source or sunlight, wait 6 months or longer and compare the two images. One could also cover on half of an image with black paper to block light, check the print periodically over time it should not take too long for color shifts to begin to appear.

In our museum, we allow photography, but no flash.

Then your museum is doing the right thing. I have no problem with rules against the use of flash. I appreciate that some museums allow visitors to purchase a tripod pass, which I'll take any day over the right to use flash.

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
I had a day recently at the National Railway Museum in York but found it very difficult to take pictures due to the lighting conditions, kept a touch on the dark side to preserve the paint.

Anyway, I bought myself a birthday present (33 today thank you:)), my first lens apart from the 18-70 that came with the camera. I got a Sony 50mm F/1.8 mainly with an eye of doing portraits of the family. Here's one of my first shots with it, this was submitted in last weeks weekly photo comp. Taken at Falkirk model railway show.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I caught these Canadian Geese practicing and practicing for the big flight south 2 weeks ago....
_MG_2699.jpg

_MG_2715.jpg

This field is huge, and there were 5-6 large groups doing their thing.
Wild colors in the sky that evening, and different along portions and changing quickly.
Coolest thing was as they flew overhead I could hear the "swoosh" from their wing thrust.
Hard to describe but to those who have heard it before you know what I've mean.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
(snip) Very nice, really good composition and just such a good photo :) tiny bit overexposed though? ah i dunno :D

Thanks for the comment. Is this better? I took the Levels Adjustment Layer off. That's the last thing I do after I finish my RAW adjustments and I'm not sure I need to.

Dale

Attachments

• CompColors.jpg
    CompColors.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 124

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Waiting to go on stage for the school musical.

Perhaps to soft but I thought it was a really nice depth of field.

13748357966945477641445.jpg

zeeflyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
This is a great photo and steps out of the Serene Beast mode that a lot of big cat photos, especially tigers, seem to fall into. As others have noted, the wild look is really striking. All I can say in regards to comments is that the background and surrounding environment flatten it out a bit because they have the same tonal range as the cat. I cropped it a bit to emphasize the expression. Comments?

Dale

Cheers.

I like the crop, as I can see what you are saying about the tonal range of the background making it look a bit flat.... is there any way one could avoid this in practise, given that I could not ask the kitty to move nor could I control the lighting without getting eaten setting up flashes close by?

In a new addition to the thread, took this from the girlfriend's london flat yesterday evening (but had no internet to upload!), I quite like the look.

link to bigger http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2774/4185698099_b44c8f926b_b.jpg

4185698099_b44c8f926b.jpg

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I went for a walk on the docks of Thomas Basin yesterday in the late afternoon. The light on the bow of the old wooden troller Tradition was quite cool.

^^^ I like the simple fluid quality to this photo. Nice and minimalist.

Cheers.

I like the crop, as I can see what you are saying about the tonal range of the background making it look a bit flat.... is there any way one could avoid this in practise, given that I could not ask the kitty to move nor could I control the lighting without getting eaten setting up flashes close by?

^^^ Sometimes you just have to make do with what nature provides. Nice photo (again).

In a new addition to the thread, took this from the girlfriend's london flat yesterday evening (but had no internet to upload!), I quite like the look.

link to bigger http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2774/4185698099_b44c8f926b_b.jpg

4185698099_b44c8f926b.jpg
[/QUOTE]

^^^ Very nice. Are those houseboats? great texture on the sky. Nice and moody up there.

Rockefeller Center:
4186776780_d0700a17ab_b.jpg

^^^Most Excellant!

Dale

zeeflyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
I suppose that is very true - how inconsiderate of nature! Thanks again for the advice/comments.

Yeah, they are houseboats near kings cross, quite often make for a nice view.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.