Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fett

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
I do agree with you on the blown out highlights. If you don't mind, I have attempted to fix this, could you tell me which of these two you like better? They are both the exact same thing except for the blown out highlights on the ducks backs:
2249048869_903b6f357b_o.jpg
Carlos: I like the bottom one and I have to say that is one awesome photo.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Hi y'all. Good stuff from everyone as of late.

I've been so busy with various work, I've had little time to post some of my recent shots. Anyway, I took about 200 shots today... Went out with the D70s and D50 to some "creepy" places in search of new subjects. The skies were generally overcast, and it had just ceased snowing. Overall, some neat conditions to shoot under.

This is the side of an abandon state mental institution:

dsc0561kz0.jpg

Click the above for a fullsize, high res version. Here's the EXIF:

picture1vr8.png

Fiasco

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2007
New York, NY, USA
St. Francis of Assisi, New York City. I will have to try this again when I finally buy an ultra-wide lens.

Attachments

• DSC_0186.jpg
    DSC_0186.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 86

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
Hi y'all. Good stuff from everyone as of late.

I've been so busy with various work, I've had little time to post some of my recent shots. Anyway, I took about 200 shots today... Went out with the D70s and D50 to some "creepy" places in search of new subjects. The skies were generally overcast, and it had just ceased snowing. Overall, some neat conditions to shoot under.

This is the side of an abandon state mental institution:

Click the above for a fullsize, high res version. Here's the EXIF:

Nice. Considering the conditions and the subject, I bet you could get some awesome B&W photos out of there.

BOOSTD

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2007
I recently started focusing on portrait photography. This is one of the first good ones that Ive taken. Critique if you'd like.

Attachments

• Kate with roses 1(web).jpg
    Kate with roses 1(web).jpg
    885.3 KB · Views: 84

KameraGoddis

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
Totem Pole

Taken inside the Chicago National History Museum.

Attachments

• Totem pole 2 .jpg
    Totem pole 2 .jpg
    830.9 KB · Views: 93

FastEddy

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2007
North Californie
Small fishing boats on the beach near the old part of Mazatlan, Mexico. Taken with a tiny 35mm AF P/S with a 35mm 2.8 fixed lens. I was exploring the city on foot, and didn't want to attract attention to the camera, so I grabbed my Konica Big Mini, and a few rolls of Fujicolor.

fishingboats.jpg

About a mile south of this spot is the greatest little cove and beach with three or four hotels and restaurants ... My favorite hotel in the whole world is there ... Teddy Roosevelt stayed there as did Franklin D. ... Currently the room rates (without a view) are just US$19 per night! ... but stop in anyway as the entire hotel is absolutely a wonder of architecture and interior design including 100 year old tile work that are works of art.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I do agree with you on the blown out highlights. If you don't mind, I have attempted to fix this, could you tell me which of these two you like better? They are both the exact same thing except for the blown out highlights on the ducks backs:
2247502131_65c2bc9b3c_o.jpg

2249048869_903b6f357b_o.jpg

I, being close to the king of blown highlights, would like to know how you did fix the backs of the ducks. There didn't seem to be anything there to darken, so did you make and add your own details?

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast

Nice job recovering the highlights. Clearly, number two is much better. I'm assuming you shot it in raw, and the detail was always there, right?

About a mile south of this spot is the greatest little cove and beach with three or four hotels and restaurants ... My favorite hotel in the whole world is there ... Teddy Roosevelt stayed there as did Franklin D. ... Currently the room rates (without a view) are just US$19 per night! ... but stop in anyway as the entire hotel is absolutely a wonder of architecture and interior design including 100 year old tile work that are works of art.

Yes, I know the place you're referring to, but the name escapes me. A very captivating little cove in the heart of the old city. Even though I was staying further north in the "zona" hotel district, I found myself gravitating to the old, original Mexican part of the city. That long curved beach with the boulevard along it is quite the trek from one end to the other, I don't know how many miles it is, but it's further than it appears. I definitely plan to return, and try that hotel out.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
In Motion

The hdd in my sister's macbook went out Wednesday night, so I had the perfect opportunity to take this shot. More available on my flickr page. (click the image)

Shot at 1/6 sec with Canon S3 IS, hand-held and stabilized on the enclosure.

Focal 6mm, ap. 2.7

and I believe the ISO was 200

There's a little bit of noise, but nothing horrendous, considering the settings. I really need to get more experience with setting up lighting so I don't have to depend on natural light and camera settings.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
2247260874_e7585abcde_b.jpg

C & C Welcome!

David

how did you do this? did you actually have a background, or did you "cut" the rose out and put it on a black background in photoshop? if you did the latter, how on earth do you do that so clean!
I am trying to cut an object out of a photo, but it never looks clean enough!

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
I, being close to the king of blown highlights, would like to know how you did fix the backs of the ducks. There didn't seem to be anything there to darken, so did you make and add your own details?

Nice job recovering the highlights. Clearly, number two is much better. I'm assuming you shot it in raw, and the detail was always there, right?

Exactly! I shot it in raw format. In order to recover the blown out highlights all I did was take the original .DNG file (the raw format) and decreased the exposure settings on Adobe Raw and increased the blacks. Then I simply layered the underexposed photo with the original photo i posted on this forum. I then masked the layer and took a 25%/15% brush and blended the two photos in those specific areas only. It took some trial and error, but I soon got the results i wanted.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
2250391785_ff126ba5b0.jpg

Moms birthday dessert (the bigger size looks better, see my flickr for it)

I know I shouldnt have cut off the plate, but it was a spur of the moment thing, and I wasnt thinking :p

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
As my last attempt to post stuffed up, I'll try again!

Colosseum at Night. Rome. Italy. January 2008.

2251233898_f9396dcbd3.jpg

Taken with a Fujifilm F31fd.

C&C more than welcome :)

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Glasgow Necropolis

Last weekend we visited an old necropolis in the centre of Glasgow. Although a sad environment, it has a great atmosphere. Hilly, not maintained for decades I guess.

scotland20080125-bw.jpg

Canon 30D, 1/100s f/11.0 ISO500 34mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.