Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
ollie.:)

handheld;
_1090671.jpg

L1 + ZD 70-300mm
1/1000 sec @ f/7.1, ISO 250
300mm (600mm equiv.)

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
2247686698_efe8955ca1.jpg

I had gone out to photograph whatever I came upon in a parking garage...I was trying to force myself to find interesting ways to compose things, similarly to exercises we did in high school art classes. After an hour of being annoyed at lacklustre photos, I noticed the lights on top of the garage....bulb mode, wave the camera around.....viola! I know some people here cannot stand these types of pictures, but let me say this: Itook about 30 different ones and only two came out "good." Most of them lacked any interesting design.

Pentax *ist Ds
2.1 second
50mm f2.8, shut down to f11 I believe (manual lens, no Exif)
ISO 200

I have seen a TON of this artwork lately, and I must say that this is the BEST abstract photo I have ever seen on this forum and anywhere else.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Wow! So many really interesting and great photos today.

graffitimeatpackingkp8.png

Meatpacking District, New York City
D40 | 1/60 at ƒ/4.0 | 18mm | ISO 200

I just love this. The b/w gives it a wonderful gritty atmosphere.

A Bridge. Florence. Italy. January 2008

attachment.php

Taken with my Fujifilm F31fd. Minor tweaking and cropping in iPhoto.

C&C wholly welcomed as I'm very rusty with my photography skills at the moment :( . I've far better ones of my trip to Rome and Florence, but I haven't played with them enough yet.

Beautiful composition and muted colors. I like the contrasty style, even if the featureless sky's reflection in the river goes completely white. It's an exaggeration that I like a lot. Sometimes blown highlights don't matter. Can't wait to see your other ones.
Mighty Ducks

2247502131_65c2bc9b3c_o.jpg

Excellent composition! The branch makes the picture as well as the slightly out of focus background. Only haggle - the blown highlights on the ducks' backs, but it's a minor quibble. Color is outstanding!

Chillijam

macrumors member
Selby Abbey

My partner asked me "Why are you taking a picture of a blank wall?"

I love the fact that you can see whatever you want to within the eroded patterns.

Fuji FinePix F11 :: Shutter: 1/160 sec. :: Aperture: f/2.8 :: Focal Length: 38 mm :: ISO 200

Attachments

• DSCF0600.JPG
    DSCF0600.JPG
    481 KB · Views: 81

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
My partner asked me "Why are you taking a picture of a blank wall?"

I love the fact that you can see whatever you want to within the eroded patterns.

It's good to photograph things that don't seem immediately photogenic; it makes us look harder at what's around us and avoid coming to predictable conclusions: ie "that's beautiful... and that's ugly". Here's my wall. I was photographing in a cave yesterday (actually a long-abandoned slate quarry), and I was intrigued by some of the shapes & colours...

cavewallci6.jpg

unknown87

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2007
p4100108197fb.JPG

These sheep had the most amazing personas... like people I swear! Not the greatest technical photo, but it serves as a great memento for me! Hope you guys like....

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
I have seen a TON of this artwork lately, and I must say that this is the BEST abstract photo I have ever seen on this forum and anywhere else.

Thank you so so so much! That's one of the nicest compliments I've gotten on a photo in a while! I was going to thank you when I posted a picture but I'm torn between a few pictures and wanted to make sure I didn't forget!

Saxondale--photo of the day, not photos of the day. great shots, but.....

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Fresh Snow

After spending yesterday and this morning removing 14" of snow from the driveway, I took out the camera to get a few shots.

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
Difficult to believe it's a real composition. They seem to be the heros from any fairy-tale. I like it.
Thanks, and yes it is an actual composition the only thing changed are the colors, highlights and shadows, and I slightly blurred the background.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Pangas in Mazatlan, Mexico

Small fishing boats on the beach near the old part of Mazatlan, Mexico. Taken with a tiny 35mm AF P/S with a 35mm 2.8 fixed lens. I was exploring the city on foot, and didn't want to attract attention to the camera, so I grabbed my Konica Big Mini, and a few rolls of Fujicolor.

fishingboats.jpg

Konica Big Mini
Fuji Super G 400

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
The Big Rock

Love this shot. Feels very atmospheric. If I'd taken it I'd have immediately left it in colour, but B&W was definitely the way to go there imo.

Mighty Ducks

Like someone said above, the bright vibrancy of the colour and the fisheye effect makes it feel unreal and intriguing; like something out of a childrens book. Which is good as it distinguishes it from normal nature shots.

I'm a big fan of street and transport photography. I think this captures the real public transport atmosphere. The strip lighting and the chrome - very cold and sterile.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
The Colosseum at Night. Rome. Italy. January 2008.

attachment.php

Taken with my Fujifilm F31fd (unfortunately with no tripod, as is evident).

Once again, C&C very much welcomed :)

brogan

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2008
New to the forums but decided to just throw one of my photos out there, taken at a beach nearby

174926233-L.jpg

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
Wow! So many really interesting and great photos today.

Excellent composition! The branch makes the picture as well as the slightly out of focus background. Only haggle - the blown highlights on the ducks' backs, but it's a minor quibble. Color is outstanding!

I do agree with you on the blown out highlights. If you don't mind, I have attempted to fix this, could you tell me which of these two you like better? They are both the exact same thing except for the blown out highlights on the ducks backs:

2249048869_903b6f357b_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.