Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoritschel

macrumors regular
May 22, 2006
2242531939_1f6b8366d7.jpg

Schnebar

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
California
My first day with the camera set to manual mode.

Here is 7 pictures I took and put together. I should remove the lines and make the colors match but I will do that later maybe.

The actual pictures is 18571x1857.

Here is a thumbnail of a smaller version.

Taken in Santa Barbara, California.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Local Newport Bay, Oregon residents

Who needs a foghorn with these critters around...

DSC_5585.JPG

Model: NIKON D50
ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/250 sec
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 200mm

Fett: Nice one!

Nil.Recurring

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2007
Wonderful photos everyone.
Took this today. Hope everyone likes it. The shadow to the left is distracting, as well as the white block near the signals, I guess.

DSC_0908copy.jpg

Eauboy

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Washington, DC
Wonderful photos everyone.
Took this today. Hope everyone likes it. The shadow to the left is distracting, as well as the white block near the signals, I guess.

DSC_0908copy.jpg

But a thoughtful composition. I really like preserving the red in the signal. If anything, the power lines on the left bother me more than the shadow or the white box. What if you shot more to the right? Or were there distracting elements over there, too? I would probably have moved the trash bag.

There is a beautiful, gnarled old tree near my house. Like something out of Harry Potter. Unfortunately it is hemmed in on three sides by an above-ground parking lot, a power line and a chain-link fence. There's no angle that really highlights the beauty of the tree without containing very hard to remove man-made junk.

Nice one, fett.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
There is a beautiful, gnarled old tree near my house. Like something out of Harry Potter. Unfortunately it is hemmed in on three sides by an above-ground parking lot, a power line and a chain-link fence. There's no angle that really highlights the beauty of the tree without containing very hard to remove man-made junk.

Then maybe this IS the picture... to show how we surround natural things with our man-made tat. Instead of trying to remove the elements that don't fit... maybe accentuate them. Just an idea... a bit of lateral thinking. ;)

Nil.Recurring

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2007
But a thoughtful composition. I really like preserving the red in the signal. If anything, the power lines on the left bother me more than the shadow or the white box. What if you shot more to the right? Or were there distracting elements over there, too? I would probably have moved the trash bag.

Yeah, you're right. It wouldn't be hard to remove them though, I've done it before and they were more involved in the frame then. I'll see what I can do.

I took a couple more photos and I preserved the red colour in all of them. I, too, really liked it.

I didn't notice the trash bag when I was shooting it, but to be honest, I like the fact that its there. It just enforces the idea of abandonment to me.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Nil - I agree with your feeling about the bag - it's part of the reality of the scene (if that's the purpose, of course.) Our world isn't always a pretty place, so beautiful photos of unsightly, or even ugly subjects can be very effective.

Eauboy - if the iconic tree is surrounded by unsightful signs of Man, then that's the story. Sometimes (I'm in agreement with Doylem again here...) art and journalism can overlap (many times, actually) and the use of irony and storytelling can make a photo very compelling, and stunning. It's one thing to have people admire the beautiful object you took a photo of, and another to get people to pause, and "think about it" for perhaps just a brief, yet powerful moment.

fett

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
Pentax K10D
50 mm focal length
F/1.4
1/13 second shutter speed
ISO 400

I really like this one SLC. Good lighting and very nice against the black background. I don't remember where you said that these photos were from. Is it in Salt Lake? I might have to visit it next time I'm in Utah.

Eauboy

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Washington, DC
Then maybe this IS the picture... to show how we surround natural things with our man-made tat. Instead of trying to remove the elements that don't fit... maybe accentuate them. Just an idea... a bit of lateral thinking. ;)

I've been "casing" the shot regularly, trying to see if I could find what I wanted. If I find a decent "tree + parking garage" shot, I'll certainly take it. That shot could well end up having more meaning than the "upper-left 2/3rds of gnarled trunk" shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.