Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Then you're a braver man than me. I don't like spiders... especially big hairy ones like this... :eek:

Well, I'm weird that way. I don't mind getting very close to a venomous, dangerous creature to take a shot, and yet I tend to be afraid of cats & dogs. Yes, even those little, tiny small ones. Go figure :eek:

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
TheHunters.jpg

Another of the cavemen series! I don't know why I like them so much:confused:

SLC

CATinHAWAII

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2007
--== Hawaii ! ==--
moloka'i late afternoon

some very nice pics...
here is my best, so far...

i wonder, i dont see any winter/skiing/snowboarding pics...

what would i have to worry about/be concerned about, if
i were to take a canon 40d to the slopes, to shoot my son
doing some small jumps (1-2 feet,,, only his 5th time skiing?)

is it normally better to shoot with the trees in the background?
or with the sky in the background?

thanks if you can answer... peter

Attachments

• a fish mkk 04 molokai.jpg
    a fish mkk 04 molokai.jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 94

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
@Flowero4ka: Use Multiquote when quoting pictures, and possibly remove the pictures if they are big, other wise mods will get mad at you.

@Fett: That is a great idea, get the thread started! "Construction Critisism & Critique Thread"

seniorstinky

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
2241615434_fd94248bfd.jpg

I believe it was f5.6 @ 1/400 sec (ISO 400?). Wished for a less overcast day as I really wanted a faster shutter speed to freeze the jump better.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
DSC_5852.JPG

Lovely mood on this shot (especially from the standpoint of an English winter ;)).

But, for me, the bottom half of the pic adds nothing. If you trim it away, it might 'tighten up' the composition, and accentuate the 'horizontality' of the shot (if that's a word...). And the flare, top left, is a tad distracting. Would this be a candidate for a bit of judicious tinkering in Photoshop? Then stick a frame around it, and hang it on the wall...

BTW, about a separate thread for 'constructive criticism'... I kinda thought this was it. We've had a couple of disagreements in recent days, but really on behalf of other people. That is: I've heard no-one complain that comments about their own photos have been unfair or unkind. Of course, they may have taken offense and simply stopped posting... but I don't think so.
Can we assume that comments are welcome, unless someone specifically says "no comments"??

The comments I have read seem sincere, well-meant and relevant. And, anyway, they're only opinions. No-one needs to take any notice of them...

Doylem, comments are okay! Let's not get that one started again...:eek:

Your point is well taken about the bottom half of the picture, but actually I cropped it to eliminate the direct view of the sun (top left) and to include beach to show texture, especially where the sun's glow highlights the shadows of the little rocks, etc. I included most of the radiance from the sun (flared as it might be) to emphasize direction of light, which is also shown by the shadows, glow on the beach and the backlit spray from the breakers. It would be next to impossible to crop out the flare without losing the people, or most of the area above their heads in the shot. Yes, the photo has it's problems, so I decided to keep it as "wide" as possible to provide scale, and let the lighting just fall as it may.

What might be cool is if you cropped it the way you'd like it, and we could compare. I always value your opinion, and you have a great way of seeing things... :)

Mmh, just my opinion but I really like the sand along the bottom half of the frame... It adds a bit of contrast to the picture, which I like.

Thanks... one against, and one for (not counting me, of course...;) )

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
PS: This is my 500th post :D:D:D:D:D:D

So where's teh avatar!?;):D

The surfers at Bethune beach must crawl over the wall a lot to access the beach. I guess the new condominium owners/invaders don't appreciate them walking on their lawn. Used to be dunes... will be dunes again someday!:cool:

keep off the dunes
barbedwiresunrise.jpg

Lumix L1 + Zuiko digital 70-300mm
1/30 sec @ f/20, ISO 250

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
What might be cool is if you cropped it the way you'd like it

beachscenecj4.jpg

beachgiguresdx9.jpg

Something like this, I guess. Of course, you've already made a crop, and I've re-cropped your crop... which won't really leave a lot of pixels left. ;)

You mention the texture of the beach, but, considering how low the sun in, there doesn't seem to be much texture (ie the sand is very flat, not rippled). And all that beach seemed to 'unbalance the pic. I like the backlit wave...

If I had any skills in PhotoShop, I'd try to knock down the flare... but I haven't, so I didn't. :)

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
I agree with Doylem. I initially thought the same thing when I looked at the photo. Its really nice, but the dead space at the bottom doesnt do it justice.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
beachscenecj4.jpg

beachgiguresdx9.jpg

Something like this, I guess. Of course, you've already made a crop, and I've re-cropped your crop... which won't really leave a lot of pixels left. ;)

You mention the texture of the beach, but, considering how low the sun in, there doesn't seem to be much texture (ie the sand is very flat, not rippled). And all that beach seemed to 'unbalance the pic. I like the backlit wave...

If I had any skills in PhotoShop, I'd try to knock down the flare... but I haven't, so I didn't. :)

Actually, I didn't crop too much, so a few pixels left, even with your crop (which, after looking at it, is definitely better. :cool: )

PS: I don't have Photoshop, so I can't really do a lot of post-processing either, which may be as much a blessing as a curse. :D

I agree with Doylem. I initially thought the same thing when I looked at the photo. Its really nice, but the dead space at the bottom doesnt do it justice.

Okay, since I have now officially changed my mind, it's 3-1 in favor of Doylem's crop!! ;)

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
Sorry

Again not a picture I've taken recently, but I always liked it.

Blue Angels and Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii

Attachments

• Kaneohe Air Show.JPG
    Kaneohe Air Show.JPG
    836.6 KB · Views: 121

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
Watercolor

I always like this shot, it's a reflection of fall foliage off a stream, turned upside down.

Shot before I went digital.

Attachments

• Watercolor 1.jpg
    Watercolor 1.jpg
    968.1 KB · Views: 130
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.