Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
sprintcenter.jpg

Sprint Center arena, downtown Kansas City Missouri.

Shutter: 10 sec
Aperture: f/9.9
Focal Length: 105 mm
ISO 100

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I really like this one SLC. Good lighting and very nice against the black background. I don't remember where you said that these photos were from. Is it in Salt Lake? I might have to visit it next time I'm in Utah.

It's about 20 minutes south of Salt Lake City, it's a museum owned by the man who owns (or at least created) Corel. The place is called Thanksgiving point.

Also, the background is heavily cloned; I probably cloned out about 40% of it. There was a wall under it's snout as well as some glaring canister lights in the ceiling and a door behind his ribs.

Thanks for the compliments!

SLC

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
My first attempt at creating a valentine's card for this year.

This one really caught my eye. Let me first emphasize - I like the photograph a lot, just as it is! Love the greyscale combined with muted colors. Nice texture with the water drops.

But, when I thought about how it would work as a Valentine's Day card, this is how I saw it.... hope you don't mind my cropping your artwork. :)

2244919514_c81c2b18b9_o.jpg

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
Liars
The Metro
2/5/08
Nikon D80
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
f/1.4
Shutter: 1/20
ISO: 800

No Photoshoppery.

2246137390_c97ccd3dc3_o.jpg

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
Journey's End

"Journey's End"

2246137682_1d4346074c_b.jpg

This took me a few hours to perfect. The original size is 7227x2283 pixels.

Sorry for the watermark :)

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

You've got a great eye for a photo, and a lot of skill with post-production... though I feel the 'effect' could be toned down by, say, 30%... to let more of the impact come from the scene itself, rather than PP. And, yes, I know... no-one else will agree with me on this... ;)

And, another thing that gets in the way of me enjoying a pic is a crooked horizon. It's not the horizon itself, in this case, but those three chimneys. If they were straightened up, I could enjoy the pic... instead of my eye going back to them.

Only my opinions (and meant to be constructive rather than critical)... :)

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Powell's on a Sunday morning

A patron finding some quiet time in Powell's Bookstore, Portland OR. This place is the ultimate book lover's paradise. It's multi-levels, and a complete city block square (Portland downtown blocks, which are 200' x 200' on a very human scale.)

DSC_4988.JPG

Model: NIKON D50
Exposure: 1/40 sec
Aperture: f/5.0
Focal Length: 18mm

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
You've got a great eye for a photo, and a lot of skill with post-production... though I feel the 'effect' could be toned down by, say, 30%... to let more of the impact come from the scene itself, rather than PP. And, yes, I know... no-one else will agree with me on this... ;)

And, another thing that gets in the way of me enjoying a pic is a crooked horizon. It's not the horizon itself, in this case, but those three chimneys. If they were straightened up, I could enjoy the pic... instead of my eye going back to them.

Only my opinions (and meant to be constructive rather than critical)... :)

Thanks. I left the chimneys the way they are because that is the actual way they appear. This photo is going into a photo gallery for that city, changing the stacks would detract from it. AT&T even used the stacks on a commercial to show the rising bars as signal bars. Sometimes it is good not to have perfect symmetry. In this case the way the towers look is the actual way they look, i would have to rotate the canvas 9.5 degrees counter clock wise to straighten them, which would result in disaster. Also, if you couldn't tell, i like being exaggerative in the coloring and many other people do as well. I've noticed that these photos sell a lot better then their original counterparts.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Thanks. I left the chimneys the way they are because that is the actual way they appear. This photo is going into a photo gallery for that city, changing the stacks would detract from it. AT&T even used the stacks on a commercial to show the rising bars as signal bars. Sometimes it is good not to have perfect symmetry. In this case the way the towers look is the actual way they look, i would have to rotate the canvas 9.5 degrees counter clock wise to straighten them, which would result in disaster. Also, if you couldn't tell, i like being exaggerative in the coloring and many other people do as well. I've noticed that these photos sell a lot better then their original counterparts.

Like I said: only my opinion. :) Just glad those towers are still standing...

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland

Sprint Center arena, downtown Kansas City Missouri.

Shutter: 10 sec
Aperture: f/9.9
Focal Length: 105 mm
ISO 100

Valdore,

All of your work leaves a fantastic impression with me. I like HDR, but I love your HDR.

I've been keeping an eye on this thread alot recently, but don't get much chance to get out with my camera at the moment.

Looking at your website keeps me going in the meantime.

David

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Here's another from that ice age ossuary I visited last Saturday. I couldn't for the life of me get this little monkey to turn his head for me!

Attachments

• IMGP0293.jpg
    IMGP0293.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 73

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
2247260874_e7585abcde_b.jpg

C & C Welcome!

David

I am sorry but am I the only one who just there is something off in this picture? I can not point it out, did you enhance the background to be more black? I really like the flower but theres something off (not in a bad way) like maybe the anatomy of the flower is different?

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
2247686698_efe8955ca1.jpg

I had gone out to photograph whatever I came upon in a parking garage...I was trying to force myself to find interesting ways to compose things, similarly to exercises we did in high school art classes. After an hour of being annoyed at lacklustre photos, I noticed the lights on top of the garage....bulb mode, wave the camera around.....viola! I know some people here cannot stand these types of pictures, but let me say this: Itook about 30 different ones and only two came out "good." Most of them lacked any interesting design.

Pentax *ist Ds
2.1 second
50mm f2.8, shut down to f11 I believe (manual lens, no Exif)
ISO 200

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
A Bridge. Florence. Italy. January 2008

attachment.php

Taken with my Fujifilm F31fd. Minor tweaking and cropping in iPhoto.

C&C wholly welcomed as I'm very rusty with my photography skills at the moment :( . I've far better ones of my trip to Rome and Florence, but I haven't played with them enough yet.

Attachments

• DSCF1372.jpg
    DSCF1372.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 862

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
drumroom.jpg

Shutter: 1.6 sec.
Aperture: f/16
Focal Length: 235 mm
ISO 100

Another one of your shots that simply "wows" me. VERY good work!

Valdore,

All of your work leaves a fantastic impression with me. I like HDR, but I love your HDR.

I've been keeping an eye on this thread alot recently, but don't get much chance to get out with my camera at the moment.

Looking at your website keeps me going in the meantime.

David

Thanks so much guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.