Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I usually don't take photos of my subjects out of the water, but I made an exception in this case... my first portrait shoot.;)

'surfer girl'

J002.jpg

L1 + ZD 40-150mm (40mm)
1/4000 sec @ f/4, ISO 500

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
...I'll pack a torch, 'cos the light was changing long after the sun had gone down...

Uhmm... don't forget to bring something to light it with...? :D

Nice, relaxed picture, with the restricted colour range helping the mood. But the unsupported greenery behind her head looks like a triffid ready to pounce. God, I'm getting picky... :eek:

Well, you certainly are getting picky, Ollie! You don't like my sneaky, man-eating plant's tentacles slipping down toward the intended victim without full explanation, eh?? Okay, for the record- the plant is actually supported by a standard, regulation hanging plant hanger. Now you know the rest of the story. ;)

But, I get your point! :) And I always appreciate your dry, insightful and cranky observations! :) BTW - nice boat pic!

If you could see some more of the plant - and where it's coming from - it might be better. I'm sure no-one else will see it this way, but, well...

Sometimes it's the details that complete a picture.

Partly explained in the reply above, but are you saying you'd have preferred I include the entire basket of the plant so you would be able to figure out where it was coming from? I just want to know. Beyond that I think it originally came from the bedroom, and before that somewhere in central America. ;)

I usually don't take photos of my subjects out of the water, but I made an exception in this case... my first portrait shoot.;)

'surfer girl'

L1 + Leica 14-50mm
1/1250 sec @ f/3.3, ISO 125

More like this one... forget those dudes on boards! Seen one, seen 'em all! ;) Work your new magic, show us the girls!

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Well, you certainly are getting picky, Ollie! You don't like my sneaky, man-eating plant's tentacles slipping down toward the intended victim without full explanation, eh?? Okay, for the record- the plant is actually supported by a standard, regulation hanging plant hanger. Now you know the rest of the story. ;)

But, I get your point! :) And I always appreciate your dry, insightful and cranky observations! :) BTW - nice boat pic!

Partly explained in the reply above, but are you saying you'd have preferred I include the entire basket of the plant so you would be able to figure out where it was coming from? I just want to know. Beyond that I think it originally came from the bedroom, and before that somewhere in central America. ;)

Well, a lot of the time I see pix... and what's stopping a fair pic from being a good pic is likely to be the attention to detail: staring into all four corners of the composition, say, to see that all the elements of a picture are coming together to tell one single story. OK, I appreciate that my desire for order can border on the pathological... but I still respond best to pix that tell one simple story, that reaffirm one simple mood, that offer one unambiguous interpretation... unless, of course, the aim is to 'wrong-foot' the viewer... to plant the seeds of uncertainty. But usually it isn't...

In your pic the plant makes me think what's going on... so my concentation is divided. Something is stopping me from giving my whole attention to the subject of the picture.

The way I see it... this stuff costs nothing, requires no greater effort on behalf of the photographer, and happens in 'real time'. It's about awareness and attention, and the way we back our hunches and intuition. It's zen photography... and I've had a drink... :)

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
....It's zen photography... and I've had a drink... :)

Well, I certainly will credit you for being one of the true zenmasters on this forum! And with that said, now I'll be serious... of course I agree with you. :cool: Now, I think I'll join you with that drink. And, I'm buying your next one. Bottoms up! :)

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Trying something new (for me) shot in the Tiger pool at our local Zoo.

Pentax K10D
smc Pentax-FA 50 mm f/1.4
1/1000
f/1.4
ISO 100

SLC

Attachments

• Solitude.jpg
    Solitude.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 84

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
This one was taken a couple weeks ago in Munich. I really love plane spotting. Comparatively, it sucks to all of your other good photos, but I sorta wanted to share something.

Attachments

• Lufthansa A346 MUC.jpg
    Lufthansa A346 MUC.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 69

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Flight Sequence

Taken today at my U's botanical garden. Composed of two different shots.

Canon 400D + 100mm macro + Ring Lite
1/200, f9, ISO 100
Handheld, manual focus (both pics)

Attachments

• Flight sequence.jpg
    Flight sequence.jpg
    528.9 KB · Views: 492

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Taken today at my U's botanical garden. Composed of two different shots.

Canon 400D + 100mm macro + Ring Lite
1/200, f9, ISO 100
Handheld, manual focus (both pics)
attachment.php

That's amazing that you were able to manually focus on that. that image has such a small 'in focus region' (I'm not really down with the lingo here) that I almost wouldn't believe you were telling the truth if I hadn't seen all of your other amazing pictures.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
This one was taken a couple weeks ago in Munich. I really love plane spotting. Comparatively, it sucks to all of your other good photos, but I sorta wanted to share something.

It's an effective pic... reflecting your particular interests. That is: you've zoomed right in on the plane, 'cos you want to capture the details, maybe even the lettering and numbers.

But for me, with no great interest in the 'spotting' angle, your pic gives the plane no space to move into. It's like an insect pinned in a glass case, a specimen. I'd have left more space around the plane - and particularly in front - to give it some 'context'. But that would reflect my interest... while your pic emphasises yours.

Joedy

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
2270734964_9948eb1878.jpg

Can't begin to tell you how hard it was to get the 2 year old to stay in the shot.

Camera: Canon EOS 40D
Exposure: 0.013 sec (1/80)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 65 mm
ISO Speed: 160

3 flash setup with Pocket Wizards and peanut slave.

The T-shirts are very funny and complement the scene well.

Lighting is harsh and angle is too high. Next time, get a little closer, fill the frame and shoot from a lower angle. You'll be surprised at the results!

-joedy

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
from the old film archives...

I came across a box (serious box.. ) in my spare closet the other day. This box has hundreds of clear-file negative sleeves, each holding a full roll of 35mm film. My old 3' x 4' light table is stored in the workshop, but I found a little 8" x 12" lightbox and one of my old cheap Peak lupes, so... I'm slowly looking at stuff I did from the early 90s up till 2000. It's strange how few of my shots ever saw the darkroom or scanner, as many of the rolls were cherry-picked for some specific reason, and the rest were just filed away basically for good. I've got around 30-40 shot, but unprocessed rolls also, and I'm wondering what's on them. It's kind of like discovering who I was once upon a time...

With that in mind, and in the spirit of the political season, here's a cropped crowd shot from a 1996 presidential campaign rally. It's the first time I've ever looked at it beyond a quick study of the neg on the light table. Dig the guy holding up the ancient forest banner... without him, I wouldn't bother with the pic.

SCN0045.jpg

Canon Eos A2
Canon 28-105
Fuji Super G 400

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Lots of this kind of weather at the moment. No good for distance shots, so I'm 'going with the flow' and enjoying the misty conditions. Some days it really seems like time is standing still...

boatswanskb7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.