Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
mg2096pm2.jpg

I like the idea, but, in this shot, I can't quite 'get past' the out-of-focus tree and bench.

Years ago, I saw a portfolio of pix by a guy who used to shoot reflections in puddles. He created an extra level of ambiguity by putting things into the puddles, so they would 'appear' in the reflection. Like a model of a flying bird that seemed to be 'soaring' in the reflected sky. Very playful, lots of fun, but quite unsettling... and you kept going from one 'reading' of the pic to another...

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Lupe and negs

This shot is actually from a few minutes ago with my D50 - lupe on a pile of negatives that I've been sifting through as they sit on my desk. A nice job on a winters night...

It's soft, but I don't mind the effect as it suits the late night.

DSC_5900.JPG

Model: NIKON D50
ISO: 800
Exposure: 1/20 sec
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 55mm

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
This shot is actually from a few minutes ago with my D50 - lupe on a pile of negatives that I've been sifting through as they sit on my desk. A nice job on a winters night...

It's soft, but I don't mind the effect as it suits the late night.

DSC_5900.JPG

Ah, the young folk of today wouldn't know what to do with a loupe. They've probably never stood in a small, darkened room, up to their elbows in luke-warm developer... or trying to coax a decent print from a Durst 605 enlarger onto a sheet of Agfa's Record Rapid.

Do I ever get nostalgic for the 'good old days' of film??

No way, Jose... :)

My loupe - just like yours - is sitting right here on my desk. I use it when i'm scanning transparencies...

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Another one from Halifax, this time from the waterfront. Taken on a VERY cold day last week.

Canon 10D
17-40/4L
1/125s
23mm, F6.7
ISO100

256167264_FRttu-L.jpg

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Night Watch

This is a pic of my trusty Timex Expedition :). I held the watch up to a light bulb for a few minutes and then killed the lights and took a few quick shots to get this. The watch was noticeably fading after only a couple of shots.

C & C appreciated, especially on size and crop placement. I've got plenty of background in the original to work with.

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007

You really ought to do something more with this, and I'd suggest that it involve getting rid of the green blur on the right side :) The puddle is THE element that you wanted people to notice, but my eyes were so set on the giant green cucumber that it took me almost a minute to make sense of the image and "see" the puddle at all. My suggestion would be to do a tight crop of the puddle and flip the image upside down so the reflection is oriented correctly. It blows peoples minds when they realize they are looking at a reflection, the first thing they notice is the scene then a minute later realize it's in a puddle. Do whatever you want but please crop out the cucumber! :)

A quick shot of the eclipse...
2281875906_e423a14a72.jpg

Pentax *ist Ds
500mm no name lens
ISO200 or 400, don't recall
shot in RAW, converted in Preview
handheld, something like 1/160s

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I'm no photographer, but I think these came out nice with my Kodak DX7630 point & shoot. I did a little edge blur in iPhoto. One day when I have some cash I'll pick up a real camera.
2281920540_c5cb9d4652.jpg

2281920532_3628d1f7cc.jpg

2281920528_f85541f23b.jpg

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
I'm no photographer, but I think these came out nice with my Kodak DX7630 point & shoot. I did a little edge blur in iPhoto. One day when I have some cash I'll pick up a real camera.

I like these. I would ease up on the edge blur a bit, but the quality of the shots are very nice (I really like the first one...nice shadows and rich colours). If this is what you're getting from a P&S, I think you'll really like a nice dSLR.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I came across a box (serious box.. ) in my spare closet the other day. This box has hundreds of clear-file negative sleeves, each holding a full roll of 35mm film. My old 3' x 4' light table is stored in the workshop, but I found a little 8" x 12" lightbox and one of my old cheap Peak lupes, so... I'm slowly looking at stuff I did from the early 90s up till 2000. It's strange how few of my shots ever saw the darkroom or scanner, as many of the rolls were cherry-picked for some specific reason, and the rest were just filed away basically for good. I've got around 30-40 shot, but unprocessed rolls also, and I'm wondering what's on them. It's kind of like discovering who I was once upon a time...

With that in mind, and in the spirit of the political season, here's a cropped crowd shot from a 1996 presidential campaign rally. It's the first time I've ever looked at it beyond a quick study of the neg on the light table. Dig the guy holding up the ancient forest banner... without him, I wouldn't bother with the pic.

SCN0045.jpg

Canon Eos A2
Canon 28-105
Fuji Super G 400

Yeh, it's kinda like a "Where's Waldo?" shot, isn't it?

I don't know how you do these but they look awesome. They're almost "video game" like. And I mean that in a good way.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
I don't know how you do these but they look awesome. They're almost "video game" like. And I mean that in a good way.

What is amazing is that he's getting these HDRs from a single RAW. I can do 5 bracketed exposures and still not get my HDRs looking nearly as good as Valdore's. He's a Photomatix wizard!

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I like these. I would ease up on the edge blur a bit, but the quality of the shots are very nice (I really like the first one...nice shadows and rich colours). If this is what you're getting from a P&S, I think you'll really like a nice dSLR.

Yeh, I was experimenting with edge blur. You're right. It's a nice effect, but can overdone quickly. I'd love to buy a proffesional camera but I have no idea what I'm doing yet. I guess I need to do some more research on what I need to get started and what lenses do what, etc, etc.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Yeh, I was experimenting with edge blur. You're right. It's a nice effect, but can overdone quickly. I'd love to buy a proffesional camera but I have no idea what I'm doing yet. I guess I need to do some more research on what I need to get started and what lenses do what, etc, etc.

Don't expect huge image quality differences. DSLs, surprisingly, mostly just make it easier. Likewise, your lens choices can be chosen to get the shot, not for mystical properties. All this is good because you can focus (heh heh) on what is important rather than on spending too much.

seniorstinky

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
The T-shirts are very funny and complement the scene well.

Lighting is harsh and angle is too high. Next time, get a little closer, fill the frame and shoot from a lower angle. You'll be surprised at the results!

-joedy

The harsh lighting is intended. Soft light, for my vision, would not work. In my vision, I need more directed hard light, however, not enough time. No soft light in a concert.

I'll agree that a lower angle might be good. Definitely would have been nice to shoot from another angle... which gets me to my feeling that you don't have kids or if you do you've never shot them in a set environment.

I'm happy to get 1 shot that is passable in my book. I agree that things could be better, however, a hyper 2 year old does not make for ideal situations. :)

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
The harsh lighting is intended. Soft light, for my vision, would not work. In my vision, I need more directed hard light, however, not enough time. No soft light in a concert.

I'll agree that a lower angle might be good. Definitely would have been nice to shoot from another angle... which gets me to my feeling that you don't have kids or if you do you've never shot them in a set environment.

I'm happy to get 1 shot that is passable in my book. I agree that things could be better, however, a hyper 2 year old does not make for ideal situations. :)

Totally, I have 4 year old twins and an 18 month old. It's easier getting Santa, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy in the same shot.

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
Thanks for the kind words and constructive crit, seattle, doylem, and .jahjahwarrior. :)

I'm trying to shoot with only primes at the moment so I was really limited to what I could do compositionally with the shot. Since I couldn't just zoom in on the puddle my idea was to isolate the image within the puddle with a wide aperture and blur everything else out around it. I don't think it worked out quite as well as I had planned though because I agree with you guys, the trunk is a bit annoying and quite a contrast from the sharp reflection. I'll keep what you guys have said about more isolation on reflections in mind as I try to expand more on this. Thanks. :)

---

67c77a7cb694111e7a7783abo4.jpg

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
Thanks for the kind words and constructive crit, seattle, doylem, and .jahjahwarrior. :)

I'm trying to shoot with only primes at the moment so I was really limited to what I could do compositionally with the shot. Since I couldn't just zoom in on the puddle my idea was to isolate the image within the puddle with a wide aperture and blur everything else out around it. I don't think it worked out quite as well as I had planned though because I agree with you guys, the trunk is a bit annoying and quite a contrast from the sharp reflection. I'll keep what you guys have said about more isolation on reflections in mind as I try to expand more on this. Thanks. :)

Zoom with yo' feet! :) I only shoot with primes. I actually do have one zoom lens (it's also my only autofocus lens) and I am trying to sell it, because I never use it. Too slow. :)

You can also crop images.

It didn't work as planned because the rest of the photo was too "busy". If it was a parking lot with nothing else around, it could have worked quite nicely.

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
Camera: Pentax K10D
Exposure: 0.033 sec (1/30)
Aperture: f/11
Focal Length: 21 mm
ISO Speed: 200

2275602324_e3c05f40dc.jpg

Some fantastic pictures again from - Fett, Doylem, Pdxflint, Shieldyoureyes and Oblomow.

Oblomow It doesn't do much else apart from rain in Scotland ;)

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Oh man tell me about it. I have three F4 zooms and they have really been neglected ever since I've been hit with the prime bug.

I have one prime. Don't use it much, but love it to death when I do. Sharp and and a large aperture. Great when shooting children plays or sport in bad light conditions.
I have been considering a 200mm prime though. ( or the 70-200 zoom, choices choices)

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
It does!! I even saw some sun, on a graveyard.

scotland20080123.jpg

beautiful tree btw.

It was a beautiful day at Stilring Castle when I was there!
2282565820_ae5d6e70c6.jpg

scotland20080089bw.jpg

Canon 30D, 1/800 f7.1 25mm

That's awesome!

"Journey's End"

2246137682_1d4346074c_b.jpg

This took me a few hours to perfect. The original size is 7227x2283 pixels.

Sorry for the watermark :)

Wow, you should sell posters!

Today in the woods...

mossqt6.jpg

I swear, you must live in an enchanted forest!

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
I swear, you must live in an enchanted forest!

Thanks... when the 'greenery is back-lit, it can really start to 'sing'... almost like it's lit from within. If I'm shooting more-or-less into the sun, I make sure the camera is shaded from the sun (probably by the branch of a tree), so that lens flare is not a problem. It kinda brings the bare winter woods to life... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.