Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

libertyterran

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2007
Canberra Sky

Taken before the annual firework celebrating Australia Day. Lake Griffin in Canberra. Hope ya like it :D.
2236670722_17b9bc5299_o.jpg

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
Sure...

Says some in the photo but ...
Nikon D80 w/Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G

Shutter speed 1/8.
f/2.8
focal length: 116mm
ISO: 160

Chillijam

macrumors member
Here's one of my favourites from last year. It was taken in York, and really was just a snap until I cropped out some of the superfluous stuff and added a border.

I'd really appreciate any feedback on this image, as it is one of the ones I am proudest of as an amateur. Don't be afraid to hurt my feelings, though. After all, how else do we learn?

Original unedited pic

Attachments

• crop-bike-tree-border.jpg
    crop-bike-tree-border.jpg
    989.3 KB · Views: 180

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
2235859515_b5982b7fbc.jpg

Taken not 15 minutes ago from my dorm room using. I realise its been HDR'd, but I'd love some comments (good or bad) as I'm just getting in to this stuff! Thanks!

Great sky... but maybe get out of your dorm room next time. ;)

If you're going to have some foreground in silhoette, perhaps you could find something that makes a more interesting shape than three chimneys and a TV aerial. :)

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Taken not 15 minutes ago from my dorm room using. I realise its been HDR'd, but I'd love some comments (good or bad) as I'm just getting in to this stuff! Thanks!

I really like the color in that one. :)

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Savannah International Airport, Georgia. 2008.

Shutter Speed: 1/250 second
F Number: F/9.0
Focal Length: 17 mm
ISO Speed: 100

I took this with my 350D while I was shooting 4x5. Two Airport Police SUV's pulled up and blocked my car in as I was finishing up. They didn't try to take my camera or anything, but told me I had to leave. Hahaha @ trees being vital to our Homeland Security.

Someone probably was sneaking a bomb onto a plane while these guys were hassling a photo student shooting some trees.

aquarbor.jpg

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Here's one of my favourites from last year. It was taken in York, and really was just a snap until I cropped out some of the superfluous stuff and added a border.

I'd really appreciate any feedback on this image, as it is one of the ones I am proudest of as an amateur. Don't be afraid to hurt my feelings, though. After all, how else do we learn?

Original unedited pic

I like the shot, it conveys a good sense of place, and the bike and guy sitting there sort of tell a little story, perhaps. I'm tempted to say, "straighten it" a bit, because of the tilt to the pole and the buildings, yet the wall by the street seems level enough. I'd play with that a bit. It's a nice shot, and you did a good job cropping. Best advice - keep looking, keep shooting, vary your angles, avoid direct light, have fun!

Here's to you, photoshoppers!

"Post Processing (Digital Film Development)"

2235673120_bef1bd507e_o.jpg

This is iconic, very Norman Rockwell'ish. I can see this on the cover of some future Saturday Evening Post magazine (if it ever came back from oblivion.) Not an original concept, but a brilliantly executed one! Bravo!!

Early morning light, Jackson Wyoming.

2235347901_82b328ca6f_b.jpg

Doylem hit the "nail" right on it's angle-lit head with this one. Gorgeous!

coldcity.jpg

One handheld RAW // HDR
Shutter: 1/20
Aperture: f/16
Focal Length: 24 mm
ISO 100

I seldom comment on your work Valdore, because I'd be spending all my time trying to write fresh adjectives of effusive praise, but something about this shot (and I don't know what, exactly) especially caught my eye. Maybe it was the ordinariness of the neighborhood, the smaller, two level buildings/houses/apartments compared to the more usual taller, commercial buildings you picture - but I think it is the perspective (which is one of your talents, probably the most important one from my humble perspective ;) which gives us the bird's eye view of a place any one of us could imagine living. I can just see people parking, walking into one of the apartments, kids running in the front yard, etc. There is a certain charm there. And the exposure and hdr treatment make it seem timeless, like a painting (which is where many of your photographs take me, and why I like them.

Finally... Carl: Keep on posting your photographic abstracts, mate! I like them. They were part of the overall experience of this thread over the last few months. Many times I feel we notice something, but don't stop to comment, thinking someone else will do it for us, or we'll get back to it. Just have faith in your own work, and don't worry if some folks don't get it. But above all, forget and forgive. Don't feel you have to take on the world all alone, when we're all in this together. Peace and love, bro!

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Silent snowfall

A delicate winter's dusting of the forest. Just a snap.

2007-01-11-09.37.53.JPG

Model: NIKON D50
Exposure: 1/250 sec
Aperture: f/4.5
Focal Length: 34mm

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
A large departure from my usual insect and bug macros.

I have seen some of your bugs and they look great. My girlfriend is a conservation biologist / zoologist and is really getting into photogrpahy. She has just got a 400D with a standard lens and a 300mm telephoto but she is after a macro for insect and close up wildlife. What lens for a suitable price (around £200 / $400) would you recommend.

Thanks

(Sorry for highjacking the thread!)

bobt

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2006
Bozeman, Montana
Doylem and pdxflint:

Thanks for the complements on the barn photo. My son and I got up in the middle of the night in order to get where we wanted to be for first light photos of the Tetons and then this barn. I have a large print of this photo in my office and it always brings fond memories of that cold morning a couple of years ago.

nicoritschel

macrumors regular
May 22, 2006
Savannah International Airport, Georgia. 2008.

Shutter Speed: 1/250 second
F Number: F/9.0
Focal Length: 17 mm
ISO Speed: 100

I took this with my 350D while I was shooting 4x5. Two Airport Police SUV's pulled up and blocked my car in as I was finishing up. They didn't try to take my camera or anything, but told me I had to leave. Hahaha @ trees being vital to our Homeland Security.

Someone probably was sneaking a bomb onto a plane while these guys were hassling a photo student shooting some trees.

aquarbor.jpg

great shot

is this natural, or had it flooded haha?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.