Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
I have to say I'm on CrackedButter's side with this one. He basically asked exactly what I was thinking:

What made this picture stand out to you?

I also believe he's being perfectly rational and that the bickering needs to end. Back to photographs please!

That being said, here's my submission for the day. A picture I took after a severe Ice storm about a month or so ago.

MacDonaldCampusPhoto0.jpg

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
For some reason I went to visit Canepa Design one day armed only with a Canon Elph point & shoot. I was able to get a couple of nice shots hand-holding this camera in dark lighting conditions. I had the flash disabled since on camera flash generally sucks.

IMG_0277.jpg

FWIW, if you like Porsche 959s and are ever in Santa Cruz, Canepa is the place to visit. I saw 7 or 8 of them in varying states of disassembly during one trip there.

(edit: in case it's not obvious, that car is not a Porsche)

Educ8r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
4th largest city in the USA
hmmm that plain ol' photograph with unrealistic red colors provoked curiosity...interesting....could that be a reason I posted it....nah!

regarding the picture of the bird, I am well aware of the cropped tail, thanks for observing so closely. There is a beautiful picture of a flower with its petals cropped but I'm not going to ask the photographer why he/she cropped the petals. Quite frankly it's none of my business how he/she chooses to express their work.

Of all the pictures I've posted here I've never asked anyone to critique them, if you like the photos fine, if you don't like the photos fine. In my opinion there are photos here that are quite boring, but what's interesting is the story behind them that only the photographer knows, so I use my imagination and create possible scenarios which are endless. I suggest you do the same. Clearly my images have sparked a debate with you. I sir, take that as a "good thing." :)

As to the second image, I don't actually see anything of interest in it bar the unrealistic red colours, and again it was just curiosity which provoked me,

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Off-topic/personal comments have been removed from the thread so it can remain, as intended, a place to share photos.

Please stick to the rule of thumb regarding C&C: if they don't ask for it specifically and/or you don't know the poster well enough to know how it will be received, it's probably best not to do it.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Thank you! Sometimes I really appreciate the mods. :)

More point 'n shoot: This shot from Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico. A Mexican couple stop by at Amigos de los Animales, the local humane society in Mazatlan, to ask if they will accept a cat. Greeting them at the door is Edgar Barragan Arias, who gave up his career as a lawyer to run the shelter in memory of his brother, Aldo, a local veterinarian who started the shelter in the 1990s. It's a small place, but without the passions of Edgar and a few others, as well as volunteers, it would not exist.

P1010196.JPG

Camera: Panasonic
Model: DMC-LZ8
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/160 sec
Aperture: 4.0
Focal Length: 5.2mm

JoshBoy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Sydney, Australia
My Home

Took this here in Sydney, this is why i love my home!!! :)

Attachments

• l_9079795c09672276209983da4bb69227.jpg
    l_9079795c09672276209983da4bb69227.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 98
  • l_6a559dff7054dfd8a4d7dc0d21b7a857.jpg
    l_6a559dff7054dfd8a4d7dc0d21b7a857.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 106

JoshBoy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Where was the second photo taken? It looks like it was near North Head. It would be interesting to see it without the HDR treatment.

It is "the Gap", with out the HDR it still is a really nice clean shot, I shot in RAW so I was able to play with exposure settings after the event on one shot

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
It is "the Gap", with out the HDR it still is a really nice clean shot, I shot in RAW so I was able to play with exposure settings after the event on one shot

Ok, cool. I didn't get out to the coast on the Southern side when I was there last year. The cliffs reminded me of my trip out to Manly and North Head. I like the Harbour Bridge photo.

I am familiar with HDR and raw files. I normally bracket exposures so that I can capture as much dynamic range as I can in the camera, then blend them later in PP.

JoshBoy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Sydney, Australia
If you look close this was my first attempt at a self portrait X 6, it is me playing poker with me and me playing poker with me etc you get the point, it is just for a little fun and trying new things :)

Ok, cool. I didn't get out to the coast on the Southern side when I was there last year. The cliffs reminded me of my trip out to Manly and North Head. I like the Harbour Bridge photo.

I am familiar with HDR and raw files. I normally bracket exposures so that I can capture as much dynamic range as I can in the camera, then blend them later in PP.

thanks, I have only been doing photography for 6 months now but loving it. I have a lot of stuff that has been photoshopped but the harbour bridge is how it was shot nothing changed.

Attachments

• n641070199_1646574_5719.jpg
    n641070199_1646574_5719.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 114

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
thanks, I have only been doing photography for 6 months now but loving it. I have a lot of stuff that has been photoshopped but the harbour bridge is how it was shot nothing changed.

That would explain why I liked it then - I tend to prefer a light hand in PP. Most of the time, the world doesn't need much help being a beautiful place. Especially Sydney - loved that city.

johnnytraveler

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2009
Poughkeepsie NY
456814854_nAmYK-L-1.jpg

In a hotel room in Manhattan - insomnia - camera happened to be nearby. This is what I stared at while not sleeping. This was taken a while ago ... I wish I had cropped it and tweaked it a bit differently (which I suppose I could still do), but this is how I remember it, so I left it alone. The pictures on the wall were even creepier than the shadow play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.