Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
C&C always more than welcome.

Why would I choose this? It's not overly interesting, nor that well composed, but I liked the colours (strong yellow and red with the pale / pastel green of the plant to the left). I'd have gone for better framing, but I only had a t-shirt on, it was getting very nippy, and the sun was about to go down. May go back to get a more interesting framing tomorrow.

3276324963_bfccbb0672_b.jpg

You've listed six reasons why the pic isn't as good as it might be, so you've kinda provided your own C & C... :)

I don't want to comment on your pic, but, for me, a pic that 'works' is one for which I don't have to make excuses ("If only..."). Colour, tone, composition, exposure, quality of light, etc: all have to come together to create a successful image. It takes a bit of time and effort... and that's both the fun and the challenge...

NightGeometry

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2004
You've listed six reasons why the pic isn't as good as it might be, so you've kinda provided your own C & C... :)

I don't want to comment on your pic, but, for me, a pic that 'works' is one for which I don't have to make excuses ("If only..."). Colour, tone, composition, exposure, quality of light, etc: all have to come together to create a successful image. It takes a bit of time and effort... and that's both the fun and the challenge...

Good points, well made. Thank you for the reply. (desperately trying not to make more excuses...) :)

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
More point 'n shoot...

One of those foggy days on the beach following a winter storm, which tosses logs and other debris onto the shore. This is just a spontaneous grab shot with the little Lumix econo-cam.

P1010440.JPG

Model: DMC-LZ8
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/640 sec
Aperture: 5.7
Focal Length: 17.5mm

MaddMacs

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Flagstaff, Az
There looks to be something a bit odd in the middle of the pic: over-sharpening perhaps? Then I saw the data. Why would you use a fast speed (1/2000 sec), high ISO and wide aperture (f2.8)? Not being critical... just curious...
[/IMG]

Good eye, I didn't notice until now (and had to use the loupe). I was shooting in the shadows of the canyon all day, this actually was the last picture I took right before leaving. I suppose I forgot to change the settings. Hmm always something to think about...and it pays to take your time. Thanks.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
While on my quest for trash, I ran across this thing. That sucker will take a couple of guys and a special pickup to haul away, I think.

_DSC0525.jpg

Airplanepics

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2008
London
Just found this one on my disk and added a border - I like the final result! Not technically taken this month, but thought I'd still post it!

Regards,

Simon.

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
Took this with pano on the iphone today. The weather could have been better but oh well.
3279704518_2209e60f5b_b.jpg

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
More point 'n shoot... today

The weather was a bit nicer today, so I took the little Lumix LZ8 and one of my dogs for a walk on the beach. Taft beach, Lincoln City, Oregon. I'll post a few more from this over the next few days. I'm still experimenting with the modes on this budget digicam, but prefer the more manual settings. This was on program mode, metered higher up in the sky. I did a similar shot a few weeks ago, trying to get some light reflection in the wet sand before all the water ran off..

P1010845.JPG

Camera: Panasonic
Model: DMC-LZ8
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/200 sec
Aperture: 5.2
Focal Length: 10.9mm

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
spitfirejd - great work, great relaxing colour and lighting :)

aawil - that's awesome, can't believe that was done with an iPhone.

pdxflint - the metering came out very well, great contrast of the reflecting water against the sand!

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Nice shot, Phrasikleia. My only slight quibble is my eyes were instantly attracted to the brightest spot-where the lights were hitting the wall, as opposed to the man in the seat. I'm not quite sure if that's fixable, because I think the map adds to the photo. I also don't see any barreling-- were you using the kit lens? (The Exif says it was at 28mm).

It pulls off the mood and conveys atmosphere quite well, though. Where did you take it?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Nice shot, Phrasikleia. My only slight quibble is my eyes were instantly attracted to the brightest spot-where the lights were hitting the wall, as opposed to the man in the seat. I'm not quite sure if that's fixable, because I think the map adds to the photo. I also don't see any barreling-- were you using the kit lens? (The Exif says it was at 28mm).

It pulls off the mood and conveys atmosphere quite well, though. Where did you take it?

Thanks, LittleCanonKid. Yeah, I know what you mean about the lights. I decided I liked the competition between the brightness of the lights and the darkness of this guy's lot in life.

No, this wasn't the kit lens. I took it with the 17-55 f/2.8 IS. The location was an Amtrak station in Martinez, California, where I spent a very mind-numbing layover between train rides.

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Thanks, LittleCanonKid. Yeah, I know what you mean about the lights. I decided I liked the competition between the brightness of the lights and the darkness of this guy's lot in life.

No, this wasn't the kit lens. I took it with the 17-55 f/2.8 IS. The location was an Amtrak station in Martinez, California, where I spent a very mind-numbing layover between train rides.
Hmm, now that you say that, I like the lights more too. :p

Oops, I didn't catch the f/2.8 in the Exif. That's quite a lens you've got there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.