Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaddMacs

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Flagstaff, Az
South Rim Snowfall

My GF and I went cross-country skiing on the South Rim for the first time last week-end and got some interesting shots:

3283891480_bfb65aef30_b.jpg

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Snowy trail, PP with PSE set at no clarity.

IMG_2080noClarityb.jpg

This would look great in a frame, or as a poster. Very calm and restful. I like the restricted 'colour scheme' - with the orange leaves and grasses, the hint of colour on the tree trunks and the pure white of the sunlit snow on the path. Without any obvious subject, the eyes can wander over the surface as though it were an abstract painting, while the path stops it being two-dimensional.

Not too sure what "PP with PSE set at no clarity" means, Can you explain a bit more?

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Thanks for the links! Yup, know all about the Oregon coast... fullsuit, booties, and hood required. And then you have to be placed at the mercy of two million forceful tons of ice cold water and whatever it deems appropriate for your fate!:eek:

I'm getting really jelous. In water surf shots are my favorite I just haven't been able to afford a housing. I would love to head out in the bitter cold pacific swell for a few hours.

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
I went to the Natural History Museum for the first time in about a decade this weekend. I took lots of pictures!

Attachments

• Natural_History_small2.jpg
    Natural_History_small2.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 96

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
The Tour of California passes through my town tomorrow, and one of the advantages of being "retired" is that I can go watch them go screaming through. This is from 2005's San Francisco Grand Prix - the top of the Taylor St. hill if I recall correctly.

DSC2396.jpg

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I think it looks like a giant "Bluebottle" or "Portuguese Man O War". :)

Thank goodness we don't see those much here in the US. I remember watching a television program while I was in Sydney talking about a girl who survived an encounter with one of those.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Mazatlan - December 08 - more point 'n shoot

Pleasant Tropic of Cancer ocean breezes float through the outdoor corridors at Emerald Bay near Mazatlan, Mexico. Part of my point 'n shoot series. Just point... and shoot - on P setting, auto ISO. From December '08.

P1010242.JPG

Camera: Panasonic
Model: DMC-LZ8
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/500 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Focal Length: 8.2mm

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
This would look great in a frame, or as a poster. Very calm and restful. I like the restricted 'colour scheme' - with the orange leaves and grasses, the hint of colour on the tree trunks and the pure white of the sunlit snow on the path. Without any obvious subject, the eyes can wander over the surface as though it were an abstract painting, while the path stops it being two-dimensional.

Not too sure what "PP with PSE set at no clarity" means, Can you explain a bit more?

Thanks for the nice comments. After I posted this photo, I realized that the frame distracts from the image :)

PP, as "post process." The same as developing the RAW image using Elements. Just before opening the RAW image, Elements presents me with a smaller version of the unprocessed photo, and several options relating to how I want the photo to look when I open it. One of the options is a slider for increasing or decreasing the clarity of the photo. If I increase clarity, the photo looks sharp, but if I decrease clarity, the photo is turned softer and softer depending on how far I move the slider on the negative scale. A similar result can be achieved after the photo is opened by using the Gaussian Blur filter slider (Filter menu~Blur~Gaussian Blur), except that while "not or reduced clarity" soften the whole image regardless of depth-of-field, Gaussian Blur sort of woks the depth-of-field. If a portion of the image is in greater focus than the rest, then it takes more blur to soften that portion of the image.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
The Clint

I was on a cruise last week, and my brother in law brought the best setup for the formal dinner nights, and to top it off this rad couch was right outside the dining room, so later that night we went around the ship for a photoshoot. This is by far my favorite:

the_clint_one.jpg

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

Another shot that allows the eyes to wander around, just picking up on minor details... like the shadows across the pillars and the polished reflections on the tiles... Very restful...

Fun shot, with the simple composition and colours. And high camp (does the word 'camp' mean the same in US? ;))...

I like the idea, but it doesn't quite work for me. Silhouettes not strong enough, and too 'vertical' (might have worked better with cropping to a 'landscape' format)...

PP, as "post process." The same as developing the RAW image using Elements. Just before opening the RAW image, Elements presents me with a smaller version of the unprocessed photo, and several options relating to how I want the photo to look when I open it. One of the options is a slider for increasing or decreasing the clarity of the photo. If I increase clarity, the photo looks sharp, but if I decrease clarity, the photo is turned softer and softer depending on how far I move the slider on the negative scale. A similar result can be achieved after the photo is opened by using the Gaussian Blur filter slider (Filter menu~Blur~Gaussian Blur), except that while "not or reduced clarity" soften the whole image regardless of depth-of-field, Gaussian Blur sort of woks the depth-of-field. If a portion of the image is in greater focus than the rest, then it takes more blur to soften that portion of the image.

Thanks for this. I really only use Photoshop for upsizing pix for stock pic use, though I'd like to investigate some of the PP options. This kind of 'softness' can look great... with a particular kind of pic. So I'll maybe pick a few shots and see what I can do with them... without making dramatic changes...

SansCrainte

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
Dalton, Oh
I like the idea, but it doesn't quite work for me. Silhouettes not strong enough, and too 'vertical' (might have worked better with cropping to a 'landscape' format)...
something like this?...

3287210081_5a8bae45b1.jpg

I just thought that landscape looked a lil to cluttered with the cabinets and curtain. I kept it vertical to bring more of the gray sky into the picture.

jmdfd415

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
I just started out in photography about a week or two ago so im still learning. Here is a pic of my grandfathers/my furture 1966 Chevelle SS.

3286911836_062330885b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.