Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
24_7_web.jpg
[/URL]

I'm not sure what lens you're using, or if that distortion is done in post-processing, but it gives me a headache every time you post it for some reason. Maybe I just have bad eyes.

Me too. I'm not critical of extreme wide-angle or fisheye shots... I simply can't look at them. I get an instant headache... :(

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Me too. I'm not critical of extreme wide-angle or fisheye shots... I simply can't look at them. I get an instant headache... :(

Could it be the extreme barrel distortion...? ;) A little goes a long way...

I think Nikon provides some software for use with the 10.5 fisheye lens that actually removes that effect and makes the 10.5 useful as a pure wide angle lens, if wanted. Lots of folks like the creative use of extreme fisheye perspective, obviously. I prefer extreme wide angle for creative effects without all the line bending, speaking strictly for myself..:)

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Could it be the extreme barrel distortion...? ;) A little goes a long way...

I think Nikon provides some software for use with the 10.5 fisheye lens that actually removes that effect and makes the 10.5 useful as a pure wide angle lens, if wanted. Lots of folks like the creative use of extreme fisheye perspective, obviously. I prefer extreme wide angle for creative effects without all the line bending, speaking strictly for myself..:)

Well, I know that all these extremes are possible. Fish-eye, HDR, Photoshop effects, etc. And I'm honestly not trying to be critical. But I love the moment that's simply 'seen'... rather than 'fabricated'. I don't want to look at photos that give me pain... in the most literal way... :)

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a

Took this as part of some pictures I'm taking for my parent's B&B. Does anyone know why the whites in the top of the picture are grainy? My background is solid white and the only post processing was contrast and saturation on a RAW file. Thanks.

EXIF
D80, f/22, 4.0s, 0ev, ISO 100, Focal 70.00mm

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
How do you find that little gizmo? Does it preform well? Worth the money?

Ams.

It's a Powermate from Griffin Technology. It's definitely worth the money. I can't imagine using my computer without it now. Very handy, and extremely customizable for almost ANY app. Scroll, volume change, scrub videos, etc. :)

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Does anyone know why the whites in the top of the picture are grainy? My background is solid white and the only post processing was contrast and saturation on a RAW file. Thanks.

EXIF
D80, f/22, 4.0s, 0ev, ISO 100, Focal 70.00mm

Noise is the likely culprit. The aperture used for this photo is extreme for digital, and you're likely past the point of maximum sharpness. I would try shooting at f11 or so. I would drop the light levels on that photo too - all that whiteness makes it look more like a science experiment than dessert.

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
Sorry, but this doesn't look very appetising. The utilitarian dish doesn't help...
I know. I doesn't look the greatest, but it's done the traditional way and guests like it. I tried to clean the fruit off a bit so you get the colours but the yogurt/milk was sticking . It's called Birchemuesli btw.

Noise is the likely culprit. The aperture used for this photo is extreme for digital, and you're likely past the point of maximum sharpness. I would try shooting at f11 or so. I would drop the light levels on that photo too - all that whiteness makes it look more like a science experiment than dessert.

Okay, thanks! Didn't realize that that high of a aperture actually reduces sharpness.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
I know. I doesn't look the greatest, but it's done the traditional way and guests like it. I tried to clean the fruit off a bit so you get the colours but the yogurt/milk was sticking . It's called Birchemuesli btw.

I bet it tastes great, and I've no doubt the guests enjoy it. But the pic won't win over the people who haven't tried it... which is presumably the point of taking the pic. It's all about the look... not the taste.

Start again, from scratch, and concentrate on how the dish should look.

Just don't ask me how... 'cos food photography is too difficult for me... :)

spitfirejd

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
Magnolia, Delaware, USA
Awesome! Love the bokeh and the sharpness. Can you please share the setup i.e Camera,Lens, EXIF etc

Thank you for the compliment. I took the picture with a Canon XTi and 300mm f/4 L IS lens handheld. Shot at f/5.6, 1/2500, ISO 400, RAW.

Here's another from the series.

p619250096-4.jpg

Same equipment and settings except 1/2000 (used aperture priority).

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Mazatlan - December 08 - more point 'n shoot

I walked around the last day we were here with the little Lumix budget cam to capture some of the flavor of this place... it's hard to do in a single shot. I liked the fan styled banana tree...

P1010295.JPG

Camera: Panasonic
Model: DMC-LZ8
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/400 sec
Aperture: 4.0
Focal Length: 5.2mm

nuwomb

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008

No worries. I know some people don't like Fisheye Photography. I was always drawn to it when I saw photos from other people. I remember seeing people not too pleased with it back then too. It's not done in post processing, but done with the Nikon 10.5mm f2.8 Fisheye with my d300. I have a 10-20mm sigma for wide angle with minimal distortion. So I was doing it on purpose. I personally enjoy my fisheye lens and have fun being creative. But it goes in spurts that is for sure. So really no worries and appreciate you speaking up too.

and yea my nose was pretty close to the billboard. I love what people do the first time looking through a fisheye lens...not realizing how close you have to get to somethings!

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
1. New Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED lens
2. Sunrise
3. Four hand held photos stitched in CS3

F 5.6 1/800 ISO 200 55-200mm @ 200mm

Went out this morning and was able to capture the clouds and fog across the channel.

Just missed a whale tail, got his hump tho, but it is just one photo a day so I am just posting he the sunrise.

Attachments

• 2009-02-18-b-Carroll-Point-Sunrise.jpg
    2009-02-18-b-Carroll-Point-Sunrise.jpg
    535.8 KB · Views: 127
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.