Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
454021112_RXAXG-L.jpg

Well, there's something funny about it... including some rather cackhanded PP. Have you put in a new sky?? :confused:

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
More point 'n shoot...

An outdoor cafe, Mazatlan, Mexico. It wasn't busy, so most of the waiters were sitting around a table telling jokes...

Another from the series of cheap point 'n shoot digicams. This one with the Lumix LX8 ($130 U.S.) that I threw in my backpack for a recent Mexican trip. Probably on P mode, auto ISO. B/w conversion and minor PP in Picasa 3 (windows version running via Crossover on a MBP.)

P1010303.JPG

Camera: Panasonic
Model: DMC-LZ8
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/500 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Focal Length: 5.2mm

johnnytraveler

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2009
Poughkeepsie NY
There's something very funny and lighthearted about this shot... makes me smile!

That was the whole point of the pic, cackhanded PP and all. It is not a serious photo. I guess I failed to make that point.

No hard feelings, though. Cheers. :)

PS "cackhanded" is a GREAT word. :) Cockney slang, right? :confused:
BTW ... IMO, there's NEVER an excuse for rudeness. I have always told my kids as much. Now that they are older adolescents, they have nearly mastered the concept. Good for them, as I'm sure you'll agree.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
That was the whole point of the pic, cackhanded PP and all. It is not a serious photo. I guess I failed to make that point.

BTW ... IMO, there's NEVER an excuse for rudeness. I have always told my kids as much. Now that they are older adolescents, they have nearly mastered the concept. Good for them, as I'm sure you'll agree.

I'm not sure if you're saying I was rude...? :eek: I think I complimented your photo, and teasingly asked Doylem if he was grumpy today... I have been rude at times, but certainly not this time...:)

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

Apologies if my post appeared rude. I just wondered what you'd done to the pic... and why? :confused:

Yes, 'cackhanded' is a grand word, though left-handed people might find it mildly offensive. It's not rhyming slang. Here's a possible derivation.

The direct association is with cack, another fine Old English term, for excrement or dung. Cachus was Old English for a privy, and both words come from Latin cacare, to defecate.

It almost certainly comes from the very ancient tradition, which has developed among peoples who were mainly right-handed, that one reserved the left hand for cleaning oneself after defecating and used the right hand for all other purposes. At various times this has been known in most cultures. Some consider it rude even to be given something using the left hand. So to be left-handed was to use the cack hand or be cack-handed.

There are similar terms in other languages, such as the French main de merde for somebody awkward or butter-fingered.

My name here, Doylem, is another old 'North of England' dialect word, meaning an idiot. So a cackhanded person is likely to be a doylem too... :)

johnnytraveler

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2009
Poughkeepsie NY
I'm not sure if you're saying I was rude...? :eek: I think I complimented your photo, and teasingly asked Doylem if he was grumpy today... I have been rude at times, but certainly not this time...:)

NO NO ... sorry! My comment was a general observation provoked by an earlier post.

I appreciated your comment, and should have said so in order to make my point clear.

johnnytraveler

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2009
Poughkeepsie NY
Apologies if my post appeared rude. I just wondered what you'd done to the pic... and why?

Fair enough. It's forgotten.

The pic was an older one and was an early attempt at using a new product: Photoshop (I've only been at this for a year). I never even thought of that when I posted it on this board, or I would have used the original - I just thought that a silly pic might be ok on this thread, which has a lot of variety and often some very good pics. The llama is legit, which was the whole point!!!

While that pic was not the worst one I've ever produced :(, it's certainly not among my best, either!! :D

All's well that ends well.

John

FastEddy

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2007
North Californie
Doylem: " ... The direct association is with cack, another fine Old English term, for excrement or dung. ..."

Cack here in the states can also mean "to die" as in "to cack" or "don't cack on me!" ... But I like your alternate french definition better = " ... such as the French main de merde for somebody awkward or butter-fingered. ..."

I thought JohnnyTraveler's picture was quite funny. I also assumed the clouds were a legacy of the high altitude in the Andes mountains, home of the lamas ...

Another from my trip to Bryce. This one reminded me a little of Bart Simpson..

DSC3073.jpg

Ah, one of my favorite places on earth. Fairyland Loop is probably the single best day hike I have ever taken. Well now that I think about it, the narrows is pretty damn good too. I have actually planned a family trip out there for fall 2009. My mother has never been out west so me, my wife and son, my mother, my 2 sisters and my niece and nephew are doing the grand circle of national parks. I have done it twice before and Bryce Canyon is always one of the highlights of the trip. Just out of curiosity did you take the helicopter tour? Its amazing from the air.

Anyways nice shot.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
NO NO ... sorry! My comment was a general observation provoked by an earlier post.

I appreciated your comment, and should have said so in order to make my point clear.

No problem... :D And what I said about your pic, regardless of how it was made, still stands. It makes me smile. Cheers. -phil

PS: Doylem: as usual, I always find fabulous little nuggets of learning courtesy of your fine, limber and perhaps twisted mind! ;)

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Ah, one of my favorite places on earth. Fairyland Loop is probably the single best day hike I have ever taken. Well now that I think about it, the narrows is pretty damn good too. I have actually planned a family trip out there for fall 2009. My mother has never been out west so me, my wife and son, my mother, my 2 sisters and my niece and nephew are doing the grand circle of national parks. I have done it twice before and Bryce Canyon is always one of the highlights of the trip. Just out of curiosity did you take the helicopter tour? Its amazing from the air.

Anyways nice shot.

Thanks, and no helicopter trips for me. I think I entered the canyon at Sunrise Point on the Queen's Garden trail, and eventually came out at Sunset Point on the Navajo loop. Which was backwards - the climb out at Sunset Point was fairly strenuous compared to the grade at Sunrise Point. It didn't help that I was packing 25-30 pounds of camera gear, water, and the like.

I think this photo was taken somewhere near Agua Canyon. I drove out to Rainbow Point, and took this from a pullout on the way back.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
More point 'n shoot...

Hope you're all not getting sick of the point 'n shoot postings...;) Here's another one. This little homeless female pup touched my heart during a visit to Amigos de los Animales (Friends of the animals) humane society in Mazatlan, Mexico last month. This shot is blurry, and not the best photographically, but something about this little girl makes me wish I had just taken her with me, to join my 6 other Mexican rescues.

Just a grab shot with the Lumix LZ8, converted to b/w in Picasa.

P1010189.JPG

Camera: Panasonic
Model: DMC-LZ8
ISO: 400
Exposure: 1/13 sec
Aperture: 3.3
Focal Length: 5.2mm
Flash Used: No

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
I'm still experimenting with Photomatix Pro. Here's an "HDR" that was created from one handheld shot.

(Click on image for EXIF data and to see a larger version)

This building was constructed in 1933. It was once a hospital, and during WW2, it was an Army/Navy Hospital and recovery center. back in the 70s it had a printshop in the basement which my grandfather operated.

Carl Abudephane

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007

pdxflint, I gotta say, you're made of sterner stuff than I, being able to leave her behind!
I'm obviously a dog person, but still, even just looking at this photo, I can appreciate you feeling that perhaps you shoulda' brought her back with you.
You shoulda'!!

By the way, it's fascinating seeing your results with these two p&s cameras. I've still got my crappy little 5yr old p&s, but my girlfriend has a D40 and even using it just the odd time, the difference in quality is obviously huge and so seeing stuff from more recent, higher quality p&s', is interesting.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I'm all for a little silly-ness now and then. I liked the effect the Ps diffuse glow filter has on this one after lifting the mid-tones a bit. An overly constrasty photo before post production. Comments + crits always welcome.:)

flip4web.jpg

tools used:
Olympus E-3
50-200mm
Aperture
Adobe CS4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.