Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I usually shoot with my 28-300 Tamron, but wanted to mess with the kit lens that came with my XSi. It's the 18-55. I found the short lens useful in a lot of what I usually shoot, and may get a better (not hard) short lens when I get my macro. I didn't like the way the kit lens handled light and exposure and worked a bit in Post to fix this. Suggestions/comments appreciated.

This is a lovely rental in a neighborhood that is way over my economic head.

rental1.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/80s f/5.6 ISO100 39mm

Dale

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
It was Clear tonight...

Lens
Nikkor * ED 300mm 1:4.5 with a Nikon TC-301 2x Teleconverter
ISO 100 F/8 .4 sec
Manual settings

Attachments

• 2010-02-17 Moon shot DSC_5378.jpg
    2010-02-17 Moon shot DSC_5378.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 145

Mario.

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
OK, so others have reprimanded you, and you have expressed contrition. That would usually be enough to encourage me to let it go. I've actually been stewing about your post all day, trying to hold myself back from being really frank and posting something that I've never posted online before. Alas, I really just have to say that if it never even occurred to you that your attempt at digital plastic surgery might be offensive, then you are some kind of moron. There, I said it.

I think you guys are taking this way to seriously, i chose this picture as it had the most detail on the face, and thought would be pretty easy to edit,
why does everyone think ive tried to improve it? i clearly dident state that, i stated that i was just bored. Im 15 years old, and trying to get the hang of some tools in photoshop, if you think im a moron then be it, but in al honesty, i dont know many 15 year olds that would even know how to edit a picture.
I WAS JUST BORED, AND HAD NO INTENTION OF BEING RUDE!
im just a kid! give me some slack! ok i can see your all pros.. but i have my whole life ahead of me to adjust and get better
Jeess the world is getting tight!

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I think you guys are taking this way to seriously, i chose this picture as it had the most detail on the face, and thought would be pretty easy to edit,
why does everyone think ive tried to improve it? i clearly dident state that, i stated that i was just bored. Im 15 years old, and trying to get the hang of some tools in photoshop, if you think im a moron then be it, but in al honesty, i dont know many 15 year olds that would even know how to edit a picture.
im just a kid! give me some slack! ok i can see your all pros.. but i have my whole life ahead of me to adjust and get better

Ah, Mario... Yes, you're only 15, and, yes, you have your whole life ahead of you, and, yes, you're a bit bored. But even at your tender age you cannot seriously think the objections were about your skills (or lack of them...) in Photoshop. Have another little think, and widen the context of your thoughts to include stuff that isn't actually just about you.

BTW, it was only me that suggested you improved the pic... and I put the word in quotes. The subject of your 'improvements' took your misguided efforts with good grace. So all you have to do now is keep apologising or stay quiet. Self-justification, even at your tender age, is not an option...

grassland

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2009

mario..I'm not a pro.I just like to share my pictures mostly of my beautiful province.But I can see that you are well on your way to doing something with your talent,you have to learn to accept criticism no matter how sharp the words are,sometimes it can help you prove to others you can do better.Hang in don't give up:)

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
1000682n.jpg

A photograph I took whilst crossing the tracks at the level crossing near me on my way to college... The position the sun was in just made me feel the need to take the shot. I have edited with it a bit, lowered the exposure and increased the contrast a little.

TheSVD

macrumors 6502a
Really nice!

I would have lowered the saturation on the glow a little more. I think it is too distracting at the moment but I really like the shot!

ah thanks :) yeah that was what it was naturally, and when i desaturated it it just didnt look right... perhaps i shall try again! thankyou though, was just lucky i got to used that 5DMKI :D so good in low light!

Wow, really do like this shot! Wallpaper material I am thinking!

Here is a picture I grabbed yesterday. Probably the best natural lighting that I have taken! What do you guys think?

i agree... whilst it lacks a clear focal subject, that lighting is superb! :)

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
ah thanks :) yeah that was what it was naturally, and when i desaturated it it just didnt look right... perhaps i shall try again! thankyou though, was just lucky i got to used that 5DMKI :D so good in low light!

You mean that is the image as it came from the camera? If so that is simply staggering! I have really underestimated the low light abilities of these beauties!

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
i agree... whilst it lacks a clear focal subject, that lighting is superb! :)

Well, it has a very clear focal point. The eye comes "home" at the orange pepper mill. The windows give the eye lots of encouragement to explore, but nothing pulls the eye out of the frame; it keeps coming back to that pepper mill. I especially like how the repeating forms of the mills in the shadows form a leading line to the one in the light. So the composition works beautifully. The whole image doesn't resolve for me into an "aha moment," though; that is, I don't find myself coming up with an idea as to why the pepper mill is important. Perhaps if I thought it about long enough I would come up with something. Nonetheless, it's an aesthetically successful image.

Mario.

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
mario..I'm not a pro.I just like to share my pictures mostly of my beautiful province.But I can see that you are well on your way to doing something with your talent,you have to learn to accept criticism no matter how sharp the words are,sometimes it can help you prove to others you can do better.Hang in don't give up:)

Thanks man, i really appreciate that.

Mintin8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2009
United Kingdom

Did you ask the guy for permission first?

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
Location shoot this past Friday. Our battery Pro-foto's wouldn't fire when we got in the field so ended up using my 430EXii and a 20' gold reflector... still turned out pretty good I think. This is my favorite class, my teacher has an editorial background and that's what I want to do :)

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
Location shoot this past Friday. Our battery Pro-foto's wouldn't fire when we got in the field so ended up using my 430EXii and a 20' gold reflector... still turned out pretty good I think. This is my favorite class, my teacher has an editorial background and that's what I want to do :)

This shot has nice saturation in the red shirt. It looks really well exposed, but on my monitor there seems to be an overall darkness to the image. I pulled it into Aperture and it responds really well with a levels adjustment. This helps to add luminance to the highlights and modulation to the solid black of the legs.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Well, it has a very clear focal point. The eye comes "home" at the orange pepper mill. The windows give the eye lots of encouragement to explore, but nothing pulls the eye out of the frame; it keeps coming back to that pepper mill. I especially like how the repeating forms of the mills in the shadows form a leading line to the one in the light. So the composition works beautifully. The whole image doesn't resolve for me into an "aha moment," though; that is, I don't find myself coming up with an idea as to why the pepper mill is important. Perhaps if I thought it about long enough I would come up with something. Nonetheless, it's an aesthetically successful image.

Thanks! Mean's alot coming from someone who really knows how to take a good photo. There wasn't really any reason behind the composition but more that I could not go without capturing that light! I am traveling around Scotland with my family so there is not really chances to set up photo's I just have to take them when I have the chance!

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Wow, really do like this shot! Wallpaper material I am thinking!

Thanks man. Yeah I had the same idea, so I went ahead and made this... ;)
Some people don't like the way I've done it, but as my wallpaper I think it looks good... Meh :)

Here is a picture I grabbed yesterday. Probably the best natural lighting that I have taken! What do you guys think?

I'd have to agree, that lighting really is superb. Nice shot.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
thats really good, i like that! especially a first attempt! i really want to get some skating stuff done one day! great pic though :D

Thanks! We need to get out earlier in the day, cause when i was shooting it was right before dusk, and i quickly had to use the on camera flash for fill to really freeze the action, but it messes with the colors. Example, todays pic...

Clickable....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.