Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Newport harbor yesterday

Shot with Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 handheld, well maybe leaning against a pole... ;)

PHR_2926.jpg

Model: D300
ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/125 sec
Aperture: 4.5
Focal Length: 120mm

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
IMG_1068-sm.jpg

Noise at 1600 ISO of the T1i becoming very obvious here although it allowed a hand-held shot at 1/30th, f3, with my 17-55mm f2.8 in very dim light.

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
I like the clouds and the colour in the sky: much easier on the eye, IMO, than the all-or-nothing contrast of brights lights against a black sky. I like the figure too; he seems to be gazing at this magical city, across the water, ablaze with lights.

Of course, when the oil runs out, and we're back to using candles and bartering with beads, pictures like this - showing how much electricity we wasted - will be evidence for the prosecution. It will be salutary to remember just how wasteful we'd become, at the start of the 21st century... :eek:

Thankfully, here in Hawaii, all our electricity comes from solar power, wave action, burning our trash and wind power....NOT! 95+% comes via fuel that is shipped here, using even more power!

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Saint Helens: Mt. Rainiers' Angry Sister

Take that, Doylem!

The gate to the Johnson Center, which is as close as you can get by car was closed at Coldwater Lake. It was more of a hike than I had in me to do better so I took this from "$100 Fine Ridge"...:cool: That is volcanic steam, folks.

sthelens2.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/125s f/8.0 ISO100 46mm

Dale

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
The gate to the Johnson Center, which is as close as you can get to this thing was closed

That's not the closest you can get- you can walk all the way up to the top via one of two routes. FWIW though, the photographic opportunities are much better from Windy Ridge, which I also think is closer- I remember almost getting in trouble after an hour and a half of struggling through ash one day...

Paul

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Sunk

Looks like this berth's occupied... permanently. ;)

PHR_2976.jpg

Model: D300
ISO: 500
Exposure: 1/125 sec
Aperture: 7.1
Focal Length: 12mm

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Shot with Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 handheld, well maybe leaning against a pole... ;)

^^^ Love the light and effective use of reflection here. Where on the Oregon coast? Got to get down there.

Huntington Beach, CA
there's a few more surfing shots in my signature link.

^^^ Interesting surf shot. A lot of these are taken from a lower angle and I like the way I can see the structure of the wave.

Taken with a Canon HF10

^^^ Wonderful warm feel and texture to the building. Shots like this make me grumble about modern construction practices, though. The foreground was built with craftsmanship and care. The background was,...constructed.

Noise at 1600 ISO of the T1i becoming very obvious here although it allowed a hand-held shot at 1/30th, f3, with my 17-55mm f2.8 in very dim light.

^^^ Great capture of the warmth and feel of the room. Nice balance (to me) of the lights and darks. Good DOF. I like.

Dale (Experimenting with clickable multi-quotes)

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
^^^ Wonderful warm feel and texture to the building. Shots like this make me grumble about modern construction practices, though. The foreground was built with craftsmanship and care. The background was,...constructed.

Dale (Experimenting with clickable multi-quotes)

Yeah I totally agree. Every time I walk pass this building I look at it for a couple seconds, in awe, then walk away. It's really beautiful and creative. There's this other building they are finishing up that's tall and like mostly glass and steel and its interesting, but its just doesn't seem like something that's going to be all that special 50 years from now.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Lovely job. I like that the light and shadow tell the time of day.

Really nice atmosphere at that time of day, well done. Love the bright gold contrasting against the very dark background.

^^^ Love the light and effective use of reflection here. Where on the Oregon coast? Got to get down there.

Thanks guys. I almost thought it was too late, since it was getting pretty dark about then and my tripod was in the car... (gotta work on that patience Doylem teaches about... ;))

Dale, this one, and most of my fishing boat shots were taken in Newport, about halfway down the Oregon coast. It's the county seat of Lincoln County and home of the Oregon Coast Aquarium, former home of Keiko the Killer Whale. There is a good sized fishing fleet operating out of here, and plenty of old, old boats. The harbor is home to a large contingent of sea lions, blue herons and sea birds, and the iconic Newport Bay Bridge. The waterfront in the historic part of town has shops, cafes, taverns, some tourist attractions (which I could do without...,) the original Coast Guard station and the world famous Rogue Microbrewery, but most importantly it is still a genuine fishing port. The fishing industry processing plants are right there doing their thing right in the middle of it all. The late afternoons make for some great photo ops. Worth a visit. If you decide to make the trip, let me know and we can get together for a beer or espresso and enjoy the serenading from the sea lions... they're not shy at all... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.