Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grassland

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2009
Newfoundland

made right here:)

Attachments

• (583) July 31.JPG
    (583) July 31.JPG
    783.4 KB · Views: 123

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
After the game

4338594889_304f4022b6_o.jpg

A shot of my "little" fellah from some years ago following an outdoor hockey game at -20C. It was a brilliant game at a local winter carnival. ( He now has my D-80 in Japan )

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
^^^Nice textures, pdxflint. The puddles work very well as leading lines.

Wonderful piece of composition. Excellent colors and light. Your last posts show a depth of talent and technical skill that is envious.

Dale

Wow, what a nice compliment to receive. (I assume you mean enviable, though. ;)) Thanks for making my whole day, Dale. :)

ChefJayPeek

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Suburban Texas
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I guess I do not have specific questions, I just know that I could do better at this. Here is the appetizer feature from last night, let me know what you think.

Chef Jay

Attachments

• Picnic Platter.jpg
    Picnic Platter.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 689

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
IMG_2129.jpg

one of my first night shots...

i'm having trouble thinking on how to use the settings either a low F/3.5 or a focus more like F/13..

cause i've read that for night shots you want a lower f stop so the aperture is wide open, but what if you want the photo to be sharp??

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I guess I do not have specific questions, I just know that I could do better at this. Here is the appetizer feature from last night, let me know what you think.

Chef Jay

attachment.php

Maybe Compuwar will notice your post and offer some lighting tips. He's very knowledgeable about such things. All I can say is that the lighting is unflattering for the food. It looks like a single, frontal flash, which is making the food look rather dull, waxy, and unappetizing, even though I know it's something I would enjoy eating. You probably need multiple light sources to make it look right.

IMG_2129.jpg

one of my first night shots...

i'm having trouble thinking on how to use the settings either a low F/3.5 or a focus more like F/13..

cause i've read that for night shots you want a lower f stop so the aperture is wide open, but what if you want the photo to be sharp??

You only need a wide aperture in low light if you're trying to photograph moving subjects. Otherwise, go as small as you can without getting too much softness from diffraction (probably f/11 on your T1i), use a low ISO, and definitely use a tripod. Also, try to get these types of shots not long after the sun has set so that there is still some color in the sky. The gold of the lights would look much nicer against a deep blue instead of a black void.

ChefJayPeek

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Suburban Texas
Maybe Compuwar will notice your post and offer some lighting tips. He's very knowledgeable about such things. All I can say is that the lighting is unflattering for the food. It looks like a single, frontal flash, which is making the food look rather dull, waxy, and unappetizing, even though I know it's something I would enjoy eating. You probably need multiple light sources to make it look right.

Thank you Phrasikleia. You are correct, it is the built in flash on my camera, a Nikon CoolPix 5700. I do have an external flash with a diffuser and tilt head, so I may try to set up a better spot to shoot the pictures in. I am somewhat space constrained in the restaurant, and I am sure the fluorescent overhead lights do not help. I think tomorrow or Tuesday I should be able to try to set something up and play around a bit and see what I can do.

Thanks again!

Chef Jay

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
4339377625_c5a9298aed_o.jpg

4337593509_5b37ba12de_o.jpg

yellow! jackets!

cool shots, what settings would you need for a nice focus on the players, and yet still have a fast shutter speed?

You only need a wide aperture in low light if you're trying to photograph moving subjects. Otherwise, go as small as you can without getting too much softness from diffraction (probably f/11 on your T1i), use a low ISO, and definitely use a tripod. Also, try to get these types of shots not long after the sun has set so that there is still some color in the sky. The gold of the lights would look much nicer against a deep blue instead of a black void.

i see, yeah i always wondered when to use a wide aperature..and noo, i don't have a tripod yet..but will need to get one soon!! thanks for the tips!

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

Hi Chef... Food photography is quite an art. The pix you see in books and magazines have generally been produced by a whole team of cooks, food stylists, nutritionists, assistants and photographers, in a studio setting (plus they're creating dishes specifically to photograph... not to eat). Each shot will be accessorised with colour coordinated crockery, cutlery, tableware and tablecloths... maybe with some arfully out-of-focus details in the background, to give the impression the shot's been taken in a Spanish bodega, or English pub or American diner, etc.

The stylists will make sure that everything looks not just good... but perfect (which may mean fake 'ice cubes' that don't melt under lights, drops of glycerine to add 'freshness, etc). All I'm saying is that it's no surprise that your flash-on-camera shot fails to bring out the look and flavour of the food you cook. There are books you can buy, detailing the tricks of the food photographer's trade. Until you're able to produce top-notch pix, maybe think about paying an experienced photographer to do some shots for you... 'cos the shot you posted will not attract customers to try your food... :)

Night photography like this requires a tripod. Once you've got your camera locked onto a composition, you have the freedom to use the exposure values you want: stick to the lowest ISO, f11 (or thereabouts) and use the shutter speed as the one variable...

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Early morning on the rocks.

imgp77071.jpg

Pentax K10D - 1.5 sec - f/22.0 - ISO100 - 12mm (18mm equiv)

Excellent framing and light going on here. The tone difference between the center and the edges give it a great feeling of depth. I usually don't care for borders but the black does seem to pop the color out. I like :cool:...

Dale

Thanks for your critique Dale, yeah it didn't feel right on the white background I wanted to bring the green colour out.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Early morning on the rocks.

imgp77071.jpg

Pentax K10D - 1.5 sec - f/22.0 - ISO100 - 12mm (18mm equiv)

Thanks for your critique Dale, yeah it didn't feel right on the white background I wanted to bring the green colour out.

Nice shot! The lighting is really nice, and the water looks like a cloud. I love the lighting on the rocks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.