Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparsk

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
I Have to say, there's some pretty awesome photo talent here. I've been visiting this thread (and previous months) for a while now and I can't stop coming back.

This is my first HDR attempt and the first time I post a photo I took online. I really like taking pictures but I'm new to this, so any advice would be helpful.

2207282067_dde7b25708.jpg

Central Park, NY

Thanks for posting all this great stuff.

gescom

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2007
Austin, TX
:confused: I want to know what are you guys using to do this stuff? :eek: It is freaking awesome! I don't really understand how to create HDR's. I did read a bit on Wikipedia but it didn't elude to the method. Is this a function of a certain type of camera or software? or both perhaps? Inquiring minds want to know.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
:confused: I want to know what are you guys using to do this stuff? :eek: It is freaking awesome! I don't really understand how to create HDR's. I did read a bit on Wikipedia but it didn't elude to the method. Is this a function of a certain type of camera or software? or both perhaps? Inquiring minds want to know.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/401234/

The HDR thread here may answer some questions.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
I Have to say, there's some pretty awesome photo talent here. I've been visiting this thread (and previous months) for a while now and I can't stop coming back.

This is my first HDR attempt and the first time I post a photo I took online. I really like taking pictures but I'm new to this, so any advice would be helpful.

Central Park, NY

Thanks for posting all this great stuff.

Fantastic. Not the HDR part (it is very subtle, and although I havent seen the original, doesnt stand out to much, which is a good thing, it adds to the photo, but doesnt over do it. it does make some of the yellows very vivid, which compliments the photo nicely) but what truly stands out here is the composition. I really like how the lamp post in the foreground appears to be the tallest, and then to the right of it the buildings in the background get gradually smaller as your view enters the right side of the photo.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I really like taking pictures but I'm new to this, so any advice would be helpful.

Yes, the composition's thoughtful... but maybe you're putting the cart before the horse by giving it the HDR treatment. The lighting is bland and unrevealing, so a) the overall 'look' of the pic is dull and b) the uniformity of the lighting tends to cancel the effect of the HDR.

My advice would simply be to shoot 'straight' for a while (ie without HDR), and get some light into your pictures. Imagine one of those buildings lit up by a shaft of light... Imagine the ornamental lights coming on at dusk, contrasting with the colour in the sky.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Painted Hills - Eastern Oregon

This is a part of the John Day Fossil Beds Nat'l Monument, of which there are three units. This area is called the "Painted Hills Unit." There are trails throughout the monument, but people are not supposed to walk directly on the hills as they are fragile. It's an interesting area. My wife provides the human element... ;)

SCN0010.jpg

Canon EOS A2
Canon 28-105
Fujichrome

sparsk

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
Fantastic.[...]

Thanks for the comments. I have to say, that picture was something I had in my collection and gave it the HDR treatment for fun. I took it while visiting New York so I didn't have time to wait for better lighting.

Yes, the composition's thoughtful[...]

I'll agree with you Doylem, the lighting of the original picture was very bland, I found the HDR gave it extra saturation and contrast and made it more interesting.

Pictures in this forum are really interesting and make me want to experiment as much as I can. I'll keep your advice in mind the next time I take pictures.

...some house, somewhere.

Nice picture. It might just be the focal length but that tree looks huge!

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
Flat out my favourite photo that I've seen on this thread since a landscape of Freebooters many, many months ago.
God what a lovely image.
Superb Eric, really superb.

p.s. Loved the photo of your Dad too. Kindness & character etched into every line and wonderful to look at.

Haha, thanks again Carl!

This photo taken this evening...

rivermarket.jpg

Three tripod mounted RAWs // HDR
Shutter: varied
Aperture: f/4.0
Focal Length: 17 mm
ISO 100

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.