Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Doylem: Excellent shot of your boat. The light is sublime.

Thanks...

From my old back deck. I know it's noisy, but I tried to extract detail from the the mountain, which was basically a silhouette. I'll probably scan it again later and get a darker sky, better moon, and less noise - which comes from the scanning process, not the film.

SCN0009.jpg

With PS and HDR 'throwing' light into the shadows, I reckon it can be good, sometimes, to let things fall into silhouette...

chevinsunsetaa0.jpg

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Nicely done, very clean and professional (though, with this kind of photography, I wonder what I'm being sold: a water? a strawberry? an aspirational lifestyle? ;))

Judging by my little chat with him, it is mostly a fun shot, but also a "lifestyle" shot, promoting healthy living ie: stayin away from soda and beer.

Thanks...

With PS and HDR 'throwing' light into the shadows, I reckon it can be good, sometimes, to let things fall into silhouette...

<snip>

Very cool shot! I love the composition,. I still dont get hour you get so many beautiful sunsets. We rarely get any here in the west coast of BC, though we do get some, and its partly because of the time of the season

fett

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
What kind of light do you use for this type of shot?

I had a canon speedlight 430ex on camera and bounced it off a reflector (white card stock) on the left of the glass and another reflector on the right to bounce some light back.

Nicely done, very clean and professional (though, with this kind of photography, I wonder what I'm being sold: a water? a strawberry? an aspirational lifestyle? ;))

Thanks Doylem. Marc is right, I took it for the photo a day project I'm doing. I've been trying to cut down on the amount of diet pepsi I drink by drinking flavored water instead and this image is suppose to represent that. If anything it could be selling paper towel because I used a lot cleaning up after.

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
I don't know if I consider this digital art or a photograph, but I decided to post it since it started with one of my photographs anyway.

picture1zr8.png

Pulse
D40 | 1/320 at ƒ/9.0 | 18 mm | ISO 200

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Both!!
I'm beginning to think that I should come up with a stock reply
that I can post when I want to praise a photo to the high heavens!
Running out of superlatives!
This is stunning Martin. And most definitely art and not simply
'digital art', whatever that may mean. Let's not pigeonhole anything
or anyone here; it's like saying Alfie Bester's 'The Stars My Destination'
is a science fiction novel when in actual fact it is one of the greatest
works of literature from the second half of the 20th century.
So it started as a photograph? Still is. A bit altered perhaps, but our
reality ain't so real anyway.
It's really very beautiful.

you can always just say you really like it :D

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
marclapierre, that is a fantastic nature photo! very effective use of longer shutter opening...

glassreflection.jpg

Three handheld RAWs // HDR
Shutter: varied
Aperture: f/4.0
Focal Length: 17mm
ISO 100

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Fantastic shots by everyone! Makes me want to take my camera out more and more!

You're right, the more times you have your camera with you, the better shots you'll get. I used to see a beautiful scene, in amazing light, and promise myself I'd go back with my camera some day. But that never worked.

Rule no 1: "f8 and BE THERE'... :)

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
I could! You're right! Solved my dilemma!! If there was a smily that represented a chuckle, it'd be right here! But this'll do:p

This one snuck in whilst I was possibly being a little verbose earlier.
I really like it!
Arghhh!!! I gotta say more than that! I love that blue colour!
Now that's restraint;)

Thanks!
I was just kidding, the thoughtfulness you put into your comments is really nice.

Nice shot, but I'd have been tempted to do my 'editing' a bit earlier, probably by choosing a composition without that (for me) distracting stick. Maybe this is just me being overly fastidious... :)

Actually, the stick is my main focal point. I loved the way it was just sitting there in the middle of the falls, and the way the icicles were hanging from it.
PS: Earlier?
marclapierre, that is a fantastic nature photo! very effective use of longer shutter opening...

Thank you!

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Actually, the stick is my main focal point. I loved the way it was just sitting there in the middle of the falls, and the way the icicles were hanging from it.
PS: Earlier?

If it was a conscious decision, then fair enough. By 'earlier editing', I just mean getting 95% of the picture sorted in the camera... to minimise the need for more than the most basic post-production.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
If it was a conscious decision, then fair enough. By 'earlier editing', I just mean getting 95% of the picture sorted in the camera... to minimise the need for more than the most basic post-production.

Oh, I see. Well, I mainly just did some simple colour changing. Not to much editing. Changed the tempature to cooler, it was a little underexposed so I exposed it a little more. Saturated it a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.